“A very central Dublin hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Trinity City Hotel

Trinity City Hotel
Ranked #50 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Londonderry, Northern Ireland
“A very central Dublin hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is a very centrally located hotel close to Trinity College and Grafton Street. It is also very close to the Mainline and Dart railway systems. The hotel has a lovely breakfast room with an extensive buffet full breakfast. I would and am staying there again within the next few months again.

Room Tip: Choose an executive room, and not one at the back of the building where there is a fire station whic...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
MAKH77, Manager at Trinity City Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trinity Capital Hotel again in the future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Castleton On Hudson, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

The hotel is certainly very convenient to walk around the city and to access bus transportation. We did note that the room was very warm (January) so we had window open and of course was disturbed at times by the fire house activity next door and the renovations going on in the lobby.
The room was small but clean. It is a functional hotel - none of the warmth with staff that you experience elsewhere in Ireland (and in other hotels that we have stayed in the city) Although polite I found them not willing to be particularly helpful - i.e. we asked if they could call for a taxi for the morning and were told there is always one outside. Later that day I overheard someone else asking and they were immediately told one would be reserved. Perhaps we didn't look wealthy enough to stay there or just asked the wrong assistant.

Room Tip: Since there is no individual heating in the room - make sure to check it before retiring.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 208Cate

Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

A fairly average stay at the Trinity Capital. We chose this hotel as it had good reviews and looks amazing on their website. Sadly, appearances can be deceptive and this hotel is nowhere near as good as it looks online.

The reception area and bar is very modern and comfortable, and worthy of 4 star status. The rooms did not live up to this standard however. Our room was clean, and the bathroom was impressive, but overall the room was small and dark. You needed the lights on even in the middle of the day. The noisy heating was a big problem. The radiators made a constant buzz, even when turned off. As the radiator was right next to the bed, this made it impossible to get to sleep. After a 1.30am call to reception, a member of staff adjusted the heating to our room from a central control panel elsewhere in the building, which stopped the noise. But the night was well and truly disturbed by this point.

In terms of location, the hotel is very conveniently situated, just few minutes walk from the city centre. However it is adjacent to a fire station which meant we could hear the station alarms sounding at all hours of the day and night. The police station and social protection offices are also on the same street, so it is not the most endearing of surroundings even if it is handy for the tourist attractions.

The customer service was OK. Staff were polite at check-in, and keen to apologise for the renovation work which is currently on-going. They also let us have our room 3 hours before the advertised check-in time which was very helpful. Check-out was frantic, with a big queue of people waiting to be served by two stressed and very busy members of staff. Maybe put more staff on the reception desk close to check-out times?

Overall the hotel is functional and a good base for exploring the city centre. However it just wasn't as good as it appears on-line and if you are looking for a romantic break or relative luxury, I imagine there will be far nicer places to stay for your money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank City_break2014
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your time with us and I apologise for the issues you experienced with check out. I will be sure to raise your issues with the relevant department managers.

Mold, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I would like to make your all aware before booking this hotel that they have there heating on a timer
and get the cleaners to check that the heating is off when you enter the room Ive arrived
and went straight out got back around 8pm to find my room was freezing I put the radiators on to find they went off at 930pm i had to request a heater for my room
Now when you are booking a 4 star hotel you expect the heating to be on all night
also the following morning i went shopping come back in to find the radiator had been turned off by the cleaning ladies will not be using this hotel again

Room Tip: the breakfast was lovely thats all i can say about this hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sue F
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your time with us, and I apologise for the issue you experienced with your heating. I will be sure to raise your issues with the relevant department managers.

Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Trinity Capital. The location was nice as it was close to Trinity College. We were able to walk almost everywhere we needed to go-Grafton Street and Guinness namely. The room was lovely, clean and updated. It was very comfortable. The reception staff was nice, however we didn't have to ask any questions or need any advice. All in all, it was a nice stay and very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shivie28

northumberland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

A disappointing stay at a hotel that looks really nice on their website but which doesn't seem to fully grasp the concept of customer service.

Positives are an impressive entry and reception area which carry's on throughout the hotel with very nice decor.

The breakfast was excellent and the hotel is conveniently located to venture both sides of the Liffey and for a DART train station if required.

My major problem was the unexpected surprise of finding it is built around a major fire station. Credit were it's due though our room had front row seats for the exercise yard where loud beeping, tannoy announcements, manoeuvring of engines and raucous outdoor meetings often went on until long after 10 o'clock at night. As the trip was a birthday treat my wife had asked in advance for the best possible view from our room. You can draw your own conclusions as to whether they ignore their customers requests or whether all of their views are just crap.

Next problem was that you could not even go to the bar for peace and quiet as they had renovations going on so throughout the day there was banging and clattering and workmen wherever you turned.

Final gripe is the cowboys they employ behind reception. On arrival we corrected the baldy guy who told us we had booked room only and advised him we had paid the extra for cooked breakfast. It's not on our system he replied, it's the booking company's fault, but i'll give you these white tokens to give to the waitress when you go for breakfast. We left thinking these tokens would ensure we received the breakfasts we'd pre paid for without any hassle. Unfortunately not. It transpired, according to the waitress, that they entitled us to nothing more than 3Euros off the normal 12 Euro cost of a breakfast. I'm not paying twice for our breakfast I explained. She went away to discuss this with reception and then came back to tell me in front of other dinners that I had not paid and she would have to ask me to pay there and then. Needless to say this was embarrassing and gave those around the impression I was trying to blag free food. So I declined to pay and went to reception to explain, in no uncertain terms, to the third member of staff that we had pre paid for breakfast !! Obviously a bit of straight talking improves your eyesight as she perused her paper work once again before declaring oh yes you have paid I will have to update our system. Jesus what a performance !!

So all in all it could have been better. The staff were polite but good customer service has to go further than polite. Breakfast staff were quite sullen and obviously those on reception find it hard work to take ownership of a problem and would rather send you on your way with a fistful of tokens than fix a problem properly; And that's before we get to the lack of view from our room.

We had firemen, builders and cowboys at this hotel. A policeman and a red indian were all that were needed to make it the full YMCA experience.

It was telling at check out that we were asked if we'd enjoyed our stay in Dublin rather than if we'd enjoyed our stay at the hotel

Needless to say I would definitely look elsewhere for a hotel in Dublin in future. There is certainly no lack of choice.

Room Tip: Keep away from anything overlooking the fire station if it's possible.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jbcfc
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your time with us. I will be sure to raise your issues with the relevant department managers.

Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have stayed here two times for a week, in January 2013 and January 2014. Overall I enjoyed the stays but some rooms are particularly small, far too small for a week-long stay unless you are in New York City or Tokyo.
The main hotel areas are stylishly decorated and very attractive. The rooms are plainer, but at least for me that is good because I would rather have a comfortable room than a stylish one. The hotel is located conveniently to Trinity College, Dublin, the central tourist areas as well as Nassau and Grafton Streets and Temple Bar. It is located just a bit away from the major tourist areas, which makes it quieter although there is little within about two or three blocks other than Trinity.
The rooms are nicely laid out. The beds are not very soft, but anything else would be surprising in Europe. The bathrooms are nice sized, even spacious by European standards. Every room includes a heater for water and instant tea and coffee, typical for Ireland but still nice to know.
The café area is quite attractive. The breakfast is a full Irish breakfast with fruit and cold cereals also available. Irish brown bread is available every morning. I ate dinner here two or three times each trip and the food always was quite good. I have had the sizzler plate with shrimp and it is recommended if you are in the mood for something like that. The food on the restaurant menu has been very good as well, much better than typical hotel food.
Wifi is free throughout the hotel and works well.
The one thing to watch is the room. I was in a nice-sized room last year. I asked to be put up at Trinity Capital again this year instead of other hotels I have stayed in. A mistake. I was given a room about half the size of nearby rooms because of a stairwell that intrudes on what otherwise would be part of my room. I didn’t realize why the room was so small until I was well into my visit. If your room wraps around a stairwell, ask to be moved. In my case, an institution is paying for my room, probably at a low rate, and that may account for my being stuck in a tight room for a week. I won’t be staying here while someone else is paying the bill but I would stay here if I am paying because I would insist on one of the standard rooms.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room wrapped around a stairwell unless nothing else is available.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business