“Great experience”

Trinity City Hotel
Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Great experience”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for one night. Funky decor very quirky! Bar area really nice, cosy atmosphere. Staff on reception were friendly and helpful. We received a free upgrade to a suite which was very large with an equally large modern bathroom, perfect for getting ready for a night out. Room itself was dark but that's the purple scheme and the hotel throughout is the same. Room was warm and clean. Our room was beside the firestation but we didnt hear excessive noise that night. Location is excellent and I would definitely stay again based on this experience.

• Stayed January 2014
MAKH77, Manager at Trinity City Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trinity Capital Hotel again in the future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here for a week. The hotel felt like it was a super-cool hotel in the late 1980's and then no one did anything at all to update it.
Very good location, but hotel needs some updates (which apparently they have planned).
Quick notes:
- Stayed in a suite; shower was horrible - so small that shower curtain constantly touched you and water sprayed onto the floor (and I'm small!)
- Room was nice and big with a lot of storage (but no drawers)
- Bathroom was clean, but tile super old & the jet tub scared me of what may come out of jets
- The big window in the bathroom with opaque yellow curtain that was for ''privacy'' did not feel very private at all and I am convinced I will now be on a site that is called ''WomenInHotels.com''.
- There was a decent gym with a few cardio pieces (that one elliptical does NOT work), but no weights. It very much needs an update (and please put spray cleaner in room - hard to wipe
down equipment with just a paper towel!)
- The staff was friendly and housekeeping did a good job (and I saw security actually walking the floors, which is good)

The room was, I think, 107 EURO a night, so given everything, it was a good value for the money, but I would have gladly paid a bit more for an update room with a decent shower.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your time with us.I am pleased to advise you that we are currently undergoing a refurbishment of the hotel and we are very excited about the changes which are taking place.

Londonderry, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is a very centrally located hotel close to Trinity College and Grafton Street. It is also very close to the Mainline and Dart railway systems. The hotel has a lovely breakfast room with an extensive buffet full breakfast. I would and am staying there again within the next few months again.

Room Tip: Choose an executive room, and not one at the back of the building where there is a fire station whic...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Castleton On Hudson, New York
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The hotel is certainly very convenient to walk around the city and to access bus transportation. We did note that the room was very warm (January) so we had window open and of course was disturbed at times by the fire house activity next door and the renovations going on in the lobby.
The room was small but clean. It is a functional hotel - none of the warmth with staff that you experience elsewhere in Ireland (and in other hotels that we have stayed in the city) Although polite I found them not willing to be particularly helpful - i.e. we asked if they could call for a taxi for the morning and were told there is always one outside. Later that day I overheard someone else asking and they were immediately told one would be reserved. Perhaps we didn't look wealthy enough to stay there or just asked the wrong assistant.

Room Tip: Since there is no individual heating in the room - make sure to check it before retiring.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 208Cate

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

A fairly average stay at the Trinity Capital. We chose this hotel as it had good reviews and looks amazing on their website. Sadly, appearances can be deceptive and this hotel is nowhere near as good as it looks online.

The reception area and bar is very modern and comfortable, and worthy of 4 star status. The rooms did not live up to this standard however. Our room was clean, and the bathroom was impressive, but overall the room was small and dark. You needed the lights on even in the middle of the day. The noisy heating was a big problem. The radiators made a constant buzz, even when turned off. As the radiator was right next to the bed, this made it impossible to get to sleep. After a 1.30am call to reception, a member of staff adjusted the heating to our room from a central control panel elsewhere in the building, which stopped the noise. But the night was well and truly disturbed by this point.

In terms of location, the hotel is very conveniently situated, just few minutes walk from the city centre. However it is adjacent to a fire station which meant we could hear the station alarms sounding at all hours of the day and night. The police station and social protection offices are also on the same street, so it is not the most endearing of surroundings even if it is handy for the tourist attractions.

The customer service was OK. Staff were polite at check-in, and keen to apologise for the renovation work which is currently on-going. They also let us have our room 3 hours before the advertised check-in time which was very helpful. Check-out was frantic, with a big queue of people waiting to be served by two stressed and very busy members of staff. Maybe put more staff on the reception desk close to check-out times?

Overall the hotel is functional and a good base for exploring the city centre. However it just wasn't as good as it appears on-line and if you are looking for a romantic break or relative luxury, I imagine there will be far nicer places to stay for your money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank City_break2014
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your time with us and I apologise for the issues you experienced with check out. I will be sure to raise your issues with the relevant department managers.

Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I would like to make your all aware before booking this hotel that they have there heating on a timer
and get the cleaners to check that the heating is off when you enter the room Ive arrived
and went straight out got back around 8pm to find my room was freezing I put the radiators on to find they went off at 930pm i had to request a heater for my room
Now when you are booking a 4 star hotel you expect the heating to be on all night
also the following morning i went shopping come back in to find the radiator had been turned off by the cleaning ladies will not be using this hotel again

Room Tip: the breakfast was lovely thats all i can say about this hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sue F
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your time with us, and I apologise for the issue you experienced with your heating. I will be sure to raise your issues with the relevant department managers.

Chicago
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Trinity Capital. The location was nice as it was close to Trinity College. We were able to walk almost everywhere we needed to go-Grafton Street and Guinness namely. The room was lovely, clean and updated. It was very comfortable. The reception staff was nice, however we didn't have to ask any questions or need any advice. All in all, it was a nice stay and very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple