“Eclectic friendly hotel!”
Review of Trinity City Hotel

Trinity City Hotel
Ranked #50 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here for a long weekend with a girlfriend leaving husbands and children behind! Upon arrival the reception staff were fantastic and really helpful, the rooms were small but functional and very clean with a good sized bathroom.

Decor is very eclectic but couldn't fault the location (5 minutes walk to Temple Bar and other great bar/restaurant areas). The only real minus point is there is no mini bar/fridge in the room but the bar downstairs was great and the Margheritas are awesome!

2  Thank LauraJLee
MAKH77, General Manager at Trinity City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear LauraJLee

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after your recent escape to us! I will pass on your feedback to the Front Desk Team and Bar Team as they will be delighted to read that they added to your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Your sincerely

There are newer reviews for Trinity City Hotel

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel was chosen for its location and walkabilty in Dublin. You do Not want to drive in Dublin
The hotel was clean and comfortable. I was supposed to have breakfast included in the price of the room ( booked thru Otel) but they denied it and was not given breakfast buffet.
The colors in the hallways are dark -purple and red- not my first choice.
Ok if you get it for cheap

1  Thank J0anne123

Dear JOanne123

Thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel. I would be delighted to investigate why there was a discrepancy about your rate so please contact me at the hotel and we can discuss further.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed at the Trinity City Hotel for four nights, and found our room to be small, but mercifully quiet, with dark curtains that allowed us to cope with our jet lag very well. As mentioned in other reviews, the lobby is quirky, and while I charitably described it as either Alice in Wonderland or decorated by someone's dotty aunt, others describe it as more like a bordello. Regardless, we found it amusing, particularly the gigantic rococo framed mirrors and life sized statues of wild animals. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the location is perfect for visiting Trinity college, and really anywhere in downtown Dublin. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JudyZ167

Dear JudyZ167

Thanks for your comments and its great to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Wonderful front desk staff - couldn't be bettered. Really good. Good location near Trinity College and all main areas. The theatrical decor is vulgar but probably cool if you're around 20. Quite fun in the bar area but the rooms are pretty gruesome!

The Tara rooms have no windows which open to get fresh air which I hate - they just have air con (in Dublin...?)and heating but the basic rooms do have opening windows so are preferable. 'Duvets' are like rubber blankets and far too hot but blankets are available.
Breakfast was a miserable affair - cheap produce.

Room Tip: If you want to have fresh air go for the basic rooms!
1  Thank Gardencottages

Dear Ladyzsazsa

Thanks for your review and I am sorry to read that you disliked some areas and facilities in our hotel. The majority of our guests are fans of the Tara Rooms (Executive Rooms) because they have air conditioning and are sound proofed. As part of our recent refurbishment project we installed a new Breakfast Buffet and we have received positive feedback from guests about our choices so I am disappointed to read that you found our offerings at breakfast time to be cheap.

I am grateful for your feedback.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was the perfect hotel for our first trip to Dublin. It was close to everything we wanted to see, the breakfast was excellent and the staff went above and beyond. They didn't seem to tire of all of our questions about directions, etc. The hotel was beautiful and clean, we really enjoyed the fun decor. We'd definitely stay here again!

Hello Karen W

Thank you so much for such a great review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay while you were on your first trip to Dublin.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future!

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 19 May 2014

At first glance, I was somewhat concerned when my husband and I arrived at the hotel after our long flight from Los Angeles. Curbside was uneventful and we entered into an interesting décor, somewhere between bohemian and bordello (my husband thought it had character, in a New Orleans kind of way). The hotel reception was friendly and found our pre-reserved upgraded room that was secured through our travel agent at Exploring Ireland. We were informed that all the rooms have similar city views and were fortunately assigned one of the Tara rooms located at the corner on the second floor. As we walked down the hallway, I was again concerned noticing some spotty carpets and rooms that appeared to have been neglected for several years. To be fair, there was an apologetic sign related to renovations throughout the hotel.

Once in our room, my husband and I were pleased to be situated in a large and well-appointed room. There was a comfortable king bed with a white covered comforter and two closets on either side of the bed. There were plenty of mirrors, a desk, side tables and chairs to spread and organize our belongings for our 2 night stay. The staff informed us that the windows were triple paned for noise reduction. The bathroom also met our standards with a good sized shower that had plenty of hot water pressure which greatly assisted with our flight recovery. We had a brief issue with the air conditioning and that was quickly resolved by the staff engineer.

The hotel was located within blocks of the Trinity College, Temple Bar, and other nearby attractions. We were able to get on a hop on/hop off bus tour close by and access bars, restaurants and stores. After our first night of touring the town, my husband insisted that we enjoy the hotel bar and we had 3 adult local beverages and a tasty desert for under 18 euros! The bar staff were very nice and one who was from Romania was particularly attentive as we exchanged opinions about US politics and policies.

Both nights were fairly noise free although the hotel is located virtually above a major fire station, we ran into a couple of German women who indicated with sounds and hand gestures that they did not sleep well. The hotel guests need to use a key to ascend the elevator and a doorman is posted at the entrance. Breakfast, which was included in our package was superb. Great coffee, juices, fruit, selection of cheeses, sliced meats, granola, yogurt, blood sausage, bacon, pork and beans, scrambled eggs—we left both days ready to conquer the city. My husband requested that I offer our recommendations as I am truly a discriminating traveler. The hotel passed my filters for value, location, food, cleanliness, safety, comfort, and sleep quality.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a renovated room such as the Tara rooms
1  Thank sherrieseg

Hello Sherrie

Many thanks for such a detailed review. I am delighted you and your husband enjoyed your recent stay with us. I do hope the rest of your trip around Ireland was good.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Please be aware of some problem with room 224 unless you are not a fan of sounds of running "waterfall" in the toilet :). I faced this problem once checked in. It seemed to be fixed ... as long as you don't touch it :). It happened several times and especially it's a disaster if it happens at night as it can be fixed only next day :(

Basically, this is the only issue I had with this hotel. The rest was perfect! The best is location for sure! Unusual decor of rooms and public places adds value to this hotel!

On breakfast: As I couldn't have them each morning due to some days it was necessary to leave earlier than 7am. Receptionist offered breakfast vouchers (10EUR) which I could use whenever I needed. It was really convenient as it gave flexibility. Thanks for this!

I have added this hotel to my list if ever again it Dublin but not room 224 again :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
MAKH77, General Manager at Trinity City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear InfinityWill

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, we appreciate all feedback. We have since remedied the issue with the toilet and thanks again for highlighting it.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.