“Better than we thought”

Russell Court Hotel
Ranked #136 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 June 2014

After reading the reviews on this hotel I was very worried about booking it ,but it was only 1 night so we decided to give it a go.We had a very large room on the second floor we had a good nights sleep despite the hundreds of people downstairs in the night club. The breakfast was good and the location excellent. We decided to stay 1 more night on the way back from Killarney and booked on short notice this time the room was on the first floor and much smaller and noisier so book we'll ahead and ask for a room higher up and it is fine for a night or two

Room Tip: Book the second or third floor at the back
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 58kerrie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,021)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Nightclub pounding till 3am, three fire alarms during the middle of the night. Rude & very unhelpful staff! The doorman didn't even open the door. Dirty rooms - dirty everything! I would've rather stayed at a homeless shelter! I left the hotel for a walk and upon my return the line for the nightclub had grown around the block, I needed my passport, room key & my room bill to get back into the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Jcj477
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was planning a lovely romantic weekend away with my girlfriend for her birthday. I booked a double room at the hotel on the Tuesday to stay the following weekend.

On the Thursday I got an email stating there was an issue with my card and to ring the hotel directly or my reservation would be cancelled, so I did and explain the situation to the male receptionist... he took my card details again and said they went through and not to worry. the day I was due to arrive I get another email saying my reservation for a twin room had been cancelled because they didn't get any payment.

I was a bit worried at this stage rang the hotel spoke to the hotels reservations manager, she said... ya well there was a problem with the card and they couldn't get payment so its cancelled ,I told her who I was speaking to the previous day and apparently he didn't work there.... strange because they managed to take the money out of my account all the same. She then went away and actually got the correct information, or part of it. said she can reinstate the booking for the room but I told her it was a double I booked not a twin room.

I wasn't going to sleep a mile away from my girlfriend for the weekend and frankly I was fuming that I had been bounced around and they had been so incompetent so I said forget it just release the hold on my card and I will book somewhere else thanks. NO can do she said it will take 5 days. at this point I was seeing red and the money I had for our weekend I now had to spend on getting another hotel at the last minute and it cost a fortune.

5 days on no money in my account, 6 days no money in my account, 7 days no money.... so I have rang the reservation manager and today she tells me it can be up to 10 days depending on the bank, after telling me 5 days Friday last! Which is interesting as the bank I use is the same as the hotel, and they told me it should only take 3 days if it had been processed when they said it was.

So basically the Russell court hotel is hanging onto my money, lying or just not processing my information... and all I am getting from the Russell court is sorry but there is noting we can do.... and I still can't get an answer from them as to when I will get my money back. :(

So please do not stay here, it really is not work ruining your trip over with the utter incompetence and hassle booking here brings with it. apologies about the rant but I really wouldn't like anyone else to experience this treatment.

Rob K.

Room Tip: I've been away a bit.... this is the worst I have booked. Tip! Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Roibeard2014
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Don't stay at this hotel. It's a horrible experience. If you read the reviews and think "it couldn't be that bad" then you're wrong. It is. The DJ didn't stop the music before 4:30am on the three nights we were there. It was so loud the earplugs don't help you get to sleep. If only I had read the reviews before we got here. Our travel agent will be hearing about this!!
The room looks nice from a distance but upon closer inspection you see pieces missing, cracks in toilets, no air con or heating etc. Don't do it to yourself or your family. Please.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

been here now twice first time the room was very basic and it was really just a bed and a bathroom , it is what you pay for so i cant complain at all.
second time ive been we paid 10 euro more than the previous visit and the room was extremely nice !!! massive room massive bed really nice layout, had a bedroom, bathroom and a huge seating area with very old fashioned seats and dressers etc.. the tv wasnt very clear but we didnt use it that much anyway.
my only complaint is the noise ! as it is located along a street with many really good nightclubs and bars once it gets to about 2-4 o'clock if you're a light sleeper you may forget getting a good sleep as the noise is ridicules.
i will defo be returning for the price it is !

Room Tip: if you want sleep ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephen b
Reviewed 3 June 2014

If you want a nice break and a good rest do NOT book this hotel. In the small print on their website it states that rooms will be affected by noise. Do not take this lightly! Thankfully we only spent two nights in the hotel. On both nights the club in the hotel and surrounding areas did not stop playing music till 4am. It was horrible. Our room window was right next to the smoking section of the club and throughout the night we could hear staff disposing of bottles. The staff were friendly, the beds were big and the water in the bathroom as lovely and hot. Apart from this, the hotel from 11pm-4am is a nightmare if you want a good night sleep!

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible. Nothing on the 1st floor or you won't be able to sleep from...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Where do I start with this review...

Me and my Mum were staying at the Russell Court from Monday 26th - Thursday 29th for a birthday trip away. We booked a while ago when the reviews were at the time good. Then as the time got closer to go, the reviews slowly started to worry us but we thought we would go with an open mind because some people on Trip Advisor are too petty.
Anyway we arrived around 11am and the hotel was spotless and the reception staff were welcoming. They said they wouldlook after our bags and put them in our room when it was ready which would be around 3pm. So we went for a walk around town, came back to the bar and it was packed already. We decided to get a meal each, a Guinness and coke and that came to €13.50 which I thought was quite cheap? Then we went to go unpack. We were staying on the second floor and overlooking the front of the hotel. We requested a twin room but they gave us a double which resulted in us having to wait an extra few hours so they could find a spare bed from somewhere. Anyway at 5pm we noticed crush barriers were being placed outside the hotel and down the street. The nightclub was set to open at 7pm. Who goes out at 7pm on a Monday?! Oh that's right.... Students. They were queuing up from 6pm and as you can see from the pictures I've put up, the queue was huge and loud. When we wanted to go out for dinner, we were interrogated by the security guards who were on every doorway of the hotel asking "Are you residents?" "Show me your key or go the other way". Then trying to make your way through the queue to even get out the door was a joke. We came back at 1am and there were students being sick in the street, screaming and shouting. Then when we tried getting back in to the hotel because I couldn't get my hotel key out in time I was told I was drunk (when I hadn't been drinking) and that I was lying and was told to use the other door. Pathetic!! The music went on till 5am!
Tuesday night, 5pm, crash barriers were set up. Same again Wednesday night. The noise was a joke and even when we tried to use the famous ear plugs, we still couldn't sleep. On Tuesday night when I couldn't sleep I went to the hotel lobby to use the wifi (as that's the only place you could get it) and there were security guards constantly bringing drunk students through and giving them somewhere to sit in the lobby or access out of the hotel door. I'm sorry but I'm sure that's why there's another door to access the bar?!
I tried getting a coke one night and had to go down to the bar which I was dreading. They charged me €3.50 for draught coke even though the day before it was €1.50!? The response I got from one blonde girl was they changed their prices and if I don't like it I can go elsewhere. Lovely customer service from the bar staff!!
I didn't eat or drink in there again. I was extremely happy to check out and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.
To make it worse when we did try cancelling our booking (2 months in advance) they wanted to charge us a cancellation fee of €250! That was on top of the €220 we had already paid for the rooms. We literally had no other option but to stay.
The breakfast was vile. It was either reheated or microwaved because how could a mild warm breakfast be made in less than 5 minutes? Plus the area they served lunch time food is also used as the DJ Booth in the evening. How hygienic.

Pathetic excuse of a hotel. Stay clear! Also look at the pictures I have put up if you can.

Stayed: May 2014