“Ugh no”

Russell Court Hotel
Ranked #137 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

I read all the reviews from Russell court and because I'm a young 25 year old that works at a nightclub myself, I knew the noise wouldn't bother me or my older brother, so I decided to book anyways. The location is good, but here are my issues. I was asked to pay a 50€ deposit at check in that was not mentioned when booking online. My room was for one person, I had booked one double bed. I was given a room with 2 massive double beds. The room was pretty in an old kind of way at first, but then I realized my window was smashed from the outside and that the window itself did not lock. Also there was a huge crack running down the ceiling and my tv did not work at all. My brother and his girlfriend ended up sleeping in the room with me instead of their own because I was on the first floor and I was afraid some drunk person might climb through the unlocked window. The hair dryer that is advertised as being in the room is old and outdated. It takes a girl about 45 minutes to an hour to dry their hair using this dryer.. Bring your own!!!! As well, in the evenings if you have been out shopping and you come back to your hotel, there is access to the nightclub through the hotel so the many security guards bark at you and make you feel like a criminal if you try to enter the hotel without them first checking a list with your room number. The hotel advertises many different areas, a beer garden, a nightclub, etc. The reality is, it all just mashes into one... There is no relaxing beer garden, it's all a nightclub, with loud pounding music. The areas are poorly defined... There was a band doing a cover of kings of Leon in one room, but it was being ruined by the pounding club music in the room next door. It ends up just being an overcrowded pool of pointless noise. Not to mention that it's a free for all. We were sitting at a table in the beer garden the first night and a group of guys came over and sat down all around us, basically pushing us out of the way. They started acting rudely... They grabbed the ash tray away from us while we were smoking and started putting their dirty feet up on the table.. Shaking the table and laughing. We got up to walk away.. And when we went to put out our cigarettes in the ashtray before we walked away... One of the guys shoved his foot right up in my sister in laws face as she bent down! The security did nothing!!! Letting people act like pigs...so I took matters into my own hands and dumped beer into their laps and left the club. We never went back. We spent the next days in temple bar area, or at one of the clubs further down the street. This hotel is obviously for young people... But it could use a lot of cosmetic updating, better organization and the security at night need to learn how to treat the guests nicely when they are returning to the hotel. They also need to learn to notice when girls at the club are being harassed and deal with it appropriately. I wouldn't come back to this hotel....

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank leanne1677
There are newer reviews for Russell Court Hotel

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed here recently for three nights in a twin room. We had booked this hotel before reading the hotel's reviews, so when we booked it, we didn't know about the nightclubs.

There are at least two nightclubs underneath/ very close to the building, plus a bar and an outdoor patio, and they were definitely noisy. It was almost unbelievable.

On our first night we tried to get to sleep quite early as we had been awake since 3am, We had sat in the Dicey's Garden bar for a pint of Guinness before bed (which was quite cheap compared to the prices in the rest of Dublin), at that time the bar wasn't too loud or busy, so we thought it would be fine. However, at around 11:30pm after we had been asleep for about an hour, the music suddenly became much louder, presumably because the nightclub had opened.

Our room was on the first floor, and even with earplugs in (the hotel provides them) the music is loud enough to hear every word, and I could feel the bass banging through my pillow. I could not sleep until the music stopped at about 4 in the morning, in the meantime I just laid with my eyes closed, stressed out, listening to the noisy music, on top of arguments and shouting in the garden outside our window.

On the second and third nights we went for nights out ourselves, staying out until at least 3am on both nights. We hoped that we'd just be turning in for the night as the nightclub closed, but the music continued until about 4am. I really felt for anybody staying at the hotel who dared to try to get to sleep at an earlier time.

Another thing that I really did not appreciate with this hotel was the bouncers, it is not nice to have to show proof that you are staying at the hotel ALL THE TIME. Even at 5pm when you just want to nip back to the hotel to get changed and have a rest. Of course we showed our room key and they looked us up on the list without a hitch each time, but it just didn't feel like a hotel. I do appreciate that they are looking after the security of the guests. But who's daft idea was it to build 2 nightclubs underneath a hotel to begin with?

The breakfast was decent. A cooked breakfast is included, but if you ask for say, just sausage, tomato and hash brown instead of the full Irish breakfast, they will just bring you one of each thing on a big empty plate. It was funny really.

One definite positive was that they allowed us to drop our bags off before check in on the morning we arrived and our bags were waiting for us in the room. We really appreciated that.

The hotel wasn't too expensive at about 200 euros split between us for 3 nights, but as somebody who is used to staying in hostels and getting a much better night's sleep, it didn't feel like it was great value for money. It is hard to appreciate how good the hotel actually is after trying to sleep through the noise for hours. I was also a little bit miffed that there were no biscuits in the hotel room. I like free biscuits.

I'm sad to feel the need write this bad review because on a whole, we did have a very good weekend in Dublin. However the main reason people pay to stay in a hotel is to sleep, and that was barely possible at this hotel.

It did make me wonder, what came first, the hotel or the nightclubs?

Room Tip: Higher floors will be further away from the noise I guess.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I spent one night here on a quick visit to Dublin. The price was very reasonable and included an ok breakfast but the reception and certainly the room I stayed in could do with a spruce up. The bed was less than comfortable and I could actually feel the springs through the mattress .if you do not intend to visit the night club downstairs then I suggest you avoid this hotel as the music goes on until 3.30 in the morning and if you are in a room at the front as I was then you have the noise of the arguments over who was first for the incessant line of taxis. Just as all goes quiet then the dust men turn up to remove the empties and then there is the next delivery for it to start all over again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marion B
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Not a hotel but a room inside a cheap and tacky club. I'm not exagurating when I sat the music was the loudest I have ever had to listen to whilst in bed. Terrible music also. The hotel is advertised as lively, well it's mentioned once on their website. What people need to realise is its fit for drunk people that will go to bed at 3am, not anyone else. I can't imagine what it must be like if you accidentally took children, the rooms shake (good sound system) so if it's party party fine, but everyone I saw in the breakfast room did not look like the people that had been partying until 4am. And the review above that said it's not that bad put the tv on, ignore! I would not normally write a revived but feel it a duty to do so. Do not make the same mistake, cheap or not.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My boyfriend and i when to dublin for a mid week break got this hotel on a really good deal £81 for two nights, arrived at the hotel a lovely young girl checked us in give us the keys to room 109 when we walked in we were blown away 2 double beds, very clean big room, big dressing area, bathroom wasnt as big but still lovely, the room had to large double doors, we opened the doors to find a private garden area just for this room, hotel bar was so cheap 4 pints for €8, the music wasnt as bad as everyone on here says we put the tv on and never heard a thing, had a ball, hotel made the time we spent in dublin fab *****

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Never, never, never, book into this hotel if you want to actually get any sleep!

The exterior of this Georgian could fool the you into thinking that this is a classy place to have a relaxing break right in the centre of Dublin.
You might also think that the packets of earplugs supplied copiously to each room maybe just the job to stop you having to listen to your partner gently snoring through the night.
But believe me, these quaint ideas will soon be unceremoniously shattered when the disco (which runs for 7 nights a week) kicks off in the early hours of the morning and goes on until after 4am. There is no double glazing -(it's a listed building) - to cut down on the wall of pure noise that will assault you through the night. At 2.30am I was at the desk demanding to see the manager (none on duty); at 9.30am I finally got hold of a manager & demanded a refund.She initially refused, saying that this was advertised as a 'lively' hotel & that many of the guests were young people who were booked there purely for the disco. I pointed out that she was mistaken in thinking this was a hotel - it is in fact a party venue selling cheap drinks to pack the Dublin youth in & relieve them of their cash. Unfortunately, they somehow feel justified in supplementing this income by also taking money under dubious pretences from people who want to stay in a real hotel & get a good night's sleep.
I eventually got about 40 per cent of the bill refunded & headed down to breakfast to witness these allegedly young guests who were there for the partying - but all I could see was a room full of middle aged people shaking with fatigue over their corn flakes.
At the time of writing, this hotel has 172 reviews saying it's 'Terrible'. It is - don't stay here. Ever.

Room Tip: There aren't any. Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Came here after a last minute booking through booking.com (price reduced by 70%, should have been 120€ per night!!!). the hotel is old overall, the staff doesn't actually look forward you, and on top of this there's a discotheque inside where parties go on until 2.30 am, so if you are so lucky to have a room right over the main entrance your night is over. i asked for breakfast 10 minutes in advance as I had a ferry to take and I was told "No, 7 am sharp!"
Only positive note: there is a road straight in front of the entrance where to park the car between 7pm and 7am if required...

Room Tip: Require something as much far as possible from the discotheque
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo