“Friendly Staff”

Ranked #61 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Sherborne, England, United Kingdom
“Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

Stayed here for my birthday in november with my partner. The location to centre of town wasn't too far and there is a shuttle to and from the airport. The room was very nice, plasma tv, quite large room, nice decor throughout hotel. Really nice and helpful staff. Stayed in a Club Suite so had access to premier lounge and breakfast room on top floor.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
northstarhotelier, Duty Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear elhe1911,

Thank you for your review.

It was a pleasure to look after you for your and I am pleased to read
your stay was enjoyable.

Hope to welcome you back in the future.

Regards,
Damien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cork ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

Nothing bad to say really about this hotel. Was on business in the IFSC and stayed one night. Clean tidy very big room. Staff very friendly. Clark park attendant very helpful. The hotel is very close to O Connell Street and lots of other tourist destinations. Di not eat there so not comment on food. The only down side really is if I was staying with my kids the showers I are not thermostatically operated and could possibly lead to someone being scalded. I work in this area and found it difficult to get the water regulated to an acceptable heat.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
northstarhotelier, Duty Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Dear Marty2012,

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, can you please contact me with the room number that you stayed in so I can have the shower checked.

Many Thanks,

Damien
Alta, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

My friend and I recently spent two nights at the North Star. Dublin can be a bit daunting with the amount of b and b's and hotels. A friend recommended North Star. It is located directly across from the train station, and has easy access to Dublin City Centre, including great walking adventures, good restaurants and pubs. Temple Bar area is a wee walk away. As for the hotel,
it is fabulously clean, and has some amazing new suites upstairs. We stayed in the older portion and it was comfortable and clean. If you book directly on their site, you can get free wifi and breakfast included. Now, best of all: the people. From the maids, the kitchen crew, to the concierge, and every person at reception and on board were wonderfully kind and helpful. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Discuss being upgraded to the new premiere rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dear MadamTruefire,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and particularly your kind words on our staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel upon your return to Dublin.

With Regards,

Carlow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Pleasant staff, nice room but warm at night as air conditioning did not seem very effective. Would not recommend McCoys bar next door for food but craic seemed good at night when band playing. Good location as hotel just five minute walk to city centre.

Dear BrendanCarlow,

Thank you for your review.

My apologies regarding the air conditioning as the weekend of 26th & 27th November, we were having a slight issue with maintaining pressure in the system, thus the air con was working at a low output rate.

On your return to Dublin, please contact me directly and I will organise a complimentary upgrade to a Premier Club room for you.

Kind Regards,

Kildare
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

I had high hopes for this hotel after reading some very positive reviews, so I thought it would make the perfect spot for my wife and I to spend our first night away alone since our child was born 2 years ago. I booked the Premier suite to make it a bit more special.
We got there at around 7pm on the Friday evening for our one night stay. When we got to the hotel we were met with our first disappointment. The car park was closed. We were told that we could use the car park across the road at the train station, but to do that, our car would be locked inside an unmanned outdoor car park over night. We needed access to our car, so our only other option was to park in the city centre, which was a 20 min walk away.
When we finally got to the hotel, I tried a little banter with the receptionist, saying "I cant wait to sit down. Had to park in the city centre and walk over" Didnt get so much as a grunt. All I got was..."sign here please" and "you booked the pre pay rate so full payment is required" We got our directions to the room, which was on the 7th floor. We were optimistic when we saw that the lift labelled the 7th floor as the "Premier Suites and Premier Lounge"
Next disappointment...the Premier Lounge was closed. Oh well, at least we have a "premier suite" We opened the door to find....a nice hotel room. Same as any other nice hotel room really. The bathroom was nicely decorated, but was quite dark and smaller than I thought it would be. The "Rainforest Shower" was a large shower head in a bath...nothing special and the water pressure wasnt the best. The towels, hardly what you'd expect in a suite. Small and thin. There was shower gel, soap and shampoo in large plunger bottles which only made me think that the hotel didnt worry about small touches.
The room itself, as I said, it was nice, and it had a small balcony which was a nice surprise. The TV was the biggest luxury. A 32inch flat screen with a decent selection of channels. Movies were extra but not badly priced and a big selection. Not something I'd use myself, but a good addition none the less and worth a mention. The room itself though was no bigger than any other normal nice hotel room I've been in.There were the usual things you'd expect. Tea/ Coffee, iron. And as advertised...Air con. I was happy to see the air con control panel because the room was very warm. We decided to change for dinner and head out leaving the air con on to cool the room. We got back late in the night and walked into a sauna. I checked the air con and it was at its coldest setting, but was pumping out hot air. Since it was so late, we decided to just turn it off and sleep on top of the bed rather than under the sheets. The bed was large and comfortable, but the heat in the room meant neither of us slept well.
Our booking included a continetal breakfast. We sat down and a girl took our order for tea or coffee. We grabbed some fruit and juice each while waiting for tea. There was nothing else to choose from other than the fried food. No bread rolls or cold cut selections which I would expect with a continental breakfast. Our tea....never arrived. Staff seemed unconcerned, so we just decided not to bother and left to prepare to check out.
Not wanting an argument to spoil our time, I politely informed the receptionist about the air con. Before I even finished explaining the problem, she interrupted and said "we know, the air con is giving alot of trouble. We're working on it!" I asked why I wasnt informed this when checking in and she turned away from me. Apparently pre paying means you are no longer considered a customer as long as your keys are handed over.
So to summarise... The hotel itself is nice, but barely worthy of 3 stars. If you plan to stay, do not plan to park there unless you arrive very early. If you want a premier suite....go somewhere else. The definition of a suite here is broken air con and a large bed with flat screen tv.
The staff, they couldnt even be described as rude, because they didnt care enough to engage in conversation.
All I can say to the hotel is thank you for making us realise that if you want an enjoyable night away, spend the extra money if you want quality.

Room Tip: I have selected No for the suites as what this hotel defines as a suite is not acceptable. If you wa...
1 Thank Jason D
Langholm, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

stayed last weekend had an absolutely brilliant time hotel very clean rooms were immaculate and staff very friendly. went for breakfast (full irish) on sat morning and kept me full till night time would recommend this hotel even to the mother-in-law. They gave us complimentary upgrade on arrival

Room Tip: ask for a premier club room worth the extra
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
northstarhotelier, Front Office Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Mr & Mrs Langholm,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and I am very pleased to read your comments regarding our facilities.

Our breakfast buffet is one of the highlights here at the North Star Hotel and is very popular with guests.

I look forward to welcoming you or your mother in law back to the hotel in the near future.

Regards,

Armagh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

I stayed in the this hotel last weekend, with my husband - It was booked on lastminute.com as a secret hotel and was delighted when this hotel came up.
However when we got to our room - i found it very small, very fusty and dated - we booked under room only, also to have a train going past your bedroom every few minutes wasnt really what i would have called a relaxing weekend. I overlooked that anyway - the 1st morning the water for the shower was abs freezing, my husband rang reception and they said they would send a maintenance man up (what could he/she have done). Anyway never showed, so a cold shower was had. Next morning was exactly the same. Friends who were in the neighbouring room rang reception who advised that because it was a later part of the morning we would have been better having a shower earlier. A hotel of this size should have hot water morning, noon & night and should cater for people wanting a shower as & when they want.
The manager on duty said we could have complimentary breakfast. But it was too little too late. This was a hotel i had high expectations of - the front part of the hotel seriously needs some re-decoration. I dont know what the back part of the hotel is like - but it seems to be more modern. As much as I loved Dublin last weekend I definitely would not recomment this hotel - unless you like compact bedrooms & cold showers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel far away from the Dart Railway lines.