“Fantastic stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #62 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Larne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at how lovely this hotel is! My personal experience of city hotels is that you have to pay quite a lot of money to get a decent hotel, however this hotel was decently priced and had a lovely interior. I also did not realise how big our room was until we arrived, as there was a separate extra room adjoined to our room which had a tea and coffee maker with a dressing table. The man at reception was extremely polite and breakfast was fantastic (and included in our stay!). The hotel is only a short walking distance from the bus station which was handy, as well as a short walk to temple bar area. I would definitely stay at this hotel the next time I'm in Dublin and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NorthStarhotel, Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank so very much for taking the time to make your review. We appreciate our guests feedback in order to continue to meet the high standards we set ourselves as a Dublin City Centrally located 4* hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back back hopefully in the not too distant future.

Rhona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
West Salem, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

My best friend and I staid here at the beginning and the end of our tour of Ireland. The first stay was very good. The view was horrid, but we're in a city...
There was air conditioning in the room because the windows didn't open in that particular room. The beds were amazingly comfortable and the rooms very clean.
Our second stay in the North Star was... warm. Be aware some rooms do not have a/c because they really don't need them. They supply fans and the windows open to let in a breeze.
The staff is very nice and I totally recommend this hotel.

Also, I don't know how the in-house restaurant is, but please go eat brunch at Graingers on the corner of Talbot right by the hotel.

Room Tip: There are plenty of stairs and weird hallways, and some rooms don't have a/c, so if this is an i...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NorthStarhotel, Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Jamey W,

I do hope that you and your friend had a great recent trip to Dublin. Many thanks for making your review, we very much appreciate and value our guest feedback.

Athlone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Spent a night here recently while experiencing Dolly Parton. Great hotel in a convenient location close to Connolly Station and Luas Stop with easy access to nearby major Theatres and Shows. Very nice hotel with exceptionally clean rooms and great front office and bar staff. A special mention for Paul in the Bar/Restaurant, very friendly and super efficient. Breakfast room a bit out of reach, no windows and staff could be a little brighter. Bedroom was well kitted out and exceptionally clean. Only downside was we needed to have the window open for air but nearby air-conditioning equipment caused some irritating noise interrupting sleep. (Ok, it was at a budget price and someone has to draw the short straw, but staff should have warned about noise and provided earmuffs.) Overall, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for earmuffs if you are near the external aircon units
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Faganman,

I hope you enjoyed the concert, reports from guests that attended were that Dolly put on a fabulous show! Thank you for choosing the North Star Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Thessaloniki, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked 2 double rooms for 5 nights without breakfast, so I can't comment on the latter. Our room was very good and well equipped, clean and with coffee and tea preparing machine. The only disadvantage: our room was located on ground level and consequently the windows were barred. The staff were very friendly and helpful while we were also very pleased with the restaurant.
The hotel is well situated, just opposite to the Connoly Railway Station and the Busaras bus station. There are plenty of bars, pubs, cafes and restaurants nearby

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for making your review, I do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for the eagles concert and I have to say I was extremely disappointed. The toilet in our room didn't flush properly , it was a small arm wrestle to get it to drain. My biggest gripe was the service in the bar! As a person who works in the hospitality industry management position, I would be embarrassed to see my staff work the way these guys were! I sat at the bar and said hi to the barman who didn't even acknowkledge my presence! I then sat for a further 15 minutes as he made other drinks. At this point 3 other gentlemen joined the bar and he proceeded to serve them and left me sitting there! Shocking service! When I went for breakfast the next morning I had been told that my room had been in for breakfast when we hadnt... God knows who helped themselves to my breakfast!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank brendanq82
Dear Valued Guest,

I can only with disappointment agree that the service you describe on your visit to our bar as being totally unacceptable. I have discussed your review with our service team. This is absolutely not the standard in service that we set ourselves. I would appreciate it if you might take the time to contact me directly at your convenience rhona@northstarhotel.ie

Portadown, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed for 1 night while in Dublin for Eagles concert. Had booked a single room but was given a family room 2 single beds and a double so no worries about space Room was spotless and beds very comfortable . I can understand some peoples concerns about the area it does seen a bit dodgy but for handiness to the O2 Arena I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear valued guest,

So pleased to read you had such an enjoyable stay with us and hope you equally enjoyed the concert. The feedback I heard from guests who attended were glowing, a great show by all accounts. I do hope the North Star will be your first choice in Dublin for the next concert.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Showed up to check in after our train around 5 to 10pm. 5 min til the kitchen closed and they wouldn't serve us. we get into our room. So hot. AC doesn't work. Asked them to send someone to fix it they didn't because we were sweating all night. Found local pizza around the corner. Good place. Will never plan to stay again. Will be reporting our review to the vacation business we booked with. They could care less too. Staff was not that friendly. Worst place on our trip.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tracy R
Dear valued guest,

Please allow me the opportunity to profusely apologise that you were not afforded the opportunity to dine in our Cookhouse. Our Cookhouse is open 7 days a week until 10pm and I assure you I have personally brought your review to the attention of our service team. I would appreciate the opportunity to redeem ourselves in your estimations and hope that you may change your view and revisit with us. Please do contact me direct, I would be delighted to handle your reservation, rhona@northstarhotel.ie

I look forward to hearing from you,