“A nice weekend away.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #62 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A nice weekend away.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Firstly I visited this hotel 3 years ago and it was nice then but since the renovation it is a lot smarter and trendier, I booked this weekend break for my partner as a birthday surprise the lady I emailed regarding a room upgrade was lovely and tried helping me as much as possible, when we first arrived the gentleman at reception was helpful and polite, we paid for a room upgrade and was not disappointed for an extra 30euro a night we got a lush room with a small balcony, the room was clean and spacious and the added extra of the luxury lounge was an added plus.
now the breakfast was just as good if not better than I remember freshly cooked food and helpful waiting staff.
the restaurant was lovely and good value for money the food was tasty and delightfully presented.
now the only thing I did have a problem with on the stay was apart from the 1 polite receptionist as stated at the beginning the 3 other receptionists we dealt with throughout our stay didn't seem to want to help us and quite frankly didn't seem to want to even be at the hotel. I'm not one to complain but just saying a smile goes a long way.

but apart from this everything else was wonderful and I would happily recommend anyone to come to this hotel as the location is spot and its comfortable luxury.
so many thanks for a great stay hope to be back one day soon!

Room Tip: its worth it to pay the extra 30 euro a night for the room for the added luxury and to be higher up!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NorthStarhotel, Front Office Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear paige B,

Many thanks for your kind review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that your time spent in the North Star Hotel was most enjoyable and that you found the rooms, the food and service excellent.

You are indeed correct that we are only within minutes from most tourist attractions as well as the many shops, coffee houses, restaurants and bars.

I was however disappointed to read that some of my team members were not as helpful. I sincerely regret if this inconvenienced you in any way and I can assure you that this is most certainly not the high standard we set for ourselves.

I hope that you have the opportunity to stay at the North Star Hotel in the not too distant future where our Team and I will have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Diana@northstarhotel.ie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Very nice hotel very good location to city center this hotel had the best room I have seen for any hotel in its price range food was very good also as was the staff most help full it's a very fresh hotel in every way

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NorthStarhotel, Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us with other Tripadvisor users. Delighted to read your stay was so highly enjoyable. Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,
Rhona Brady
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I found this hotel has a good location which is close to the tram line (essential to get to the Guinness factory) and 15/20 min walking distance from temple bar/trinity college.

We requested a room in the newly furnished part of the hotel- which is said to be quieter. However, we still needed to close the window at night to reduce the noise.

No early check in, and late check out costs 10euro per hour. But staff accomodating with locking our bags away for us.

The mattress was horrendous- you could see a visable 'dip' in the middle of the mattress (which was concave in shape). After our first night in the hotel we reported it to the concierge. However, nothing was done to the room- and there was no follow up communication regarding the bed.

Breakfast ordered to the room was lovely. The porter was overly persistant about being paid then and there for the food (in cash only) rather than adding the bill to the room.

Overall, pleasant enough room, lovely shower and good location. Poor mattress with ongoing noise throughout the night.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ashleylondon1
NorthStarhotel, Front Office Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Ashleylondon1,

Thank you for posting your valuable review. We are always keen to hear the guests’ feedback in order to improve our services; your feedback is very much appreciated.

I am delighted to hear you found our hotel location convenient and that you enjoyed our newly refurbished Premier Club room and shower as well as our Room Service Breakfast.

I however regret to hear you were not able to accommodate you on your early arrival. Our official time to check-in is at 2pm however we endeavor, subject to availability, to accommodate our guest as early as possible. I am pleased to say we have a luggage store room available for all our guests and for those looking to extend their stay for an extra hour or two there is a supplement charge of €10 per hour.

I take a note of your comment regarding Room Service Charge and take your feedback on board. Whilst we do allow our guests to add extra charges to their room bill I would like to apologize for this not being offered to you this time. I will personally address this matter with our Room Service Team personnel not to happen again.

I am also sorry to hear your sleep was disturbed due to a level of noise coming from the outside. Unfortunately, as a Dublin City Center located hotel, we do experience a certain amount of noise from a surrounding areas which are out of our control.

I was surprised to hear you had such an unpleasant experience with our bed mattress. All of our Premier Club Rooms are newly refurbished and we receive so many positive comments on how comfortable they are. I can assure you that this is most certainly not the high standards we set for ourselves in terms of our bedroom product. I have made a note of this and passed your comment on to Housekeeping Manager. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

I hope that the above did not detract too much from an otherwise enjoyable stay and that I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the North Star Hotel in the not too distant future.
Please contact me directly so that I can oversee your next stay personally.

Diana@nortstarhotel.ie
Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at The North Star Hotel for a wee mid-week break. We were impressed by the staff, the decor is very fresh and morning and it must be mentioned the price was amazing!!!
Very good location, 100 yards away from the train station and five minutes from O'Connell Street.
The in-house restaurant has a great atmosphere and a good menu selection.
The only draw-back we experienced was breakfast, although we upgraded to a Full Irish Breakfast, all we were offered was hash browns and fried bread rather than our soda and potato.
Do not be put oof though, we are planning to stay here again soon, we'll just take the standard breakfast option though.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Dear Lisa H,

I am so happy to read that you enjoyed your experience at the North Star Hotel and thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the many features throughout our hotel especially our supreme location of the hotel, newly refurbished contemporary design throughout the property, the newly launched McGettigans Cookhouse & Bar and our amazing bedroom prices as well as our customer service. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and to make sure that our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service.

I am also sorry to learn that you found your breakfast experience to be a disappointment. We receive so many positive comments on the standard of our breakfasts with a wide range of fruits, cold meats, freshly baked pastries & yogurts as well as hot Irish buffet using only the highest quality of freshly cooked products, that it is very unusual to hear such negative feedback. I have passed your comment on to the Food and Beverage Manager, who will be addressing it with breakfast team.

It is wonderful to know that you would definitely stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Diana@nortstarhotel.ie
Stanwood, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We started our trip through Ireland here. They were really great, even putting up with 2 very jet-lagged and tired tourists upon check-in.
You will have to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs to get to the elevators, and not always was there someone to assist you. The room was pretty nice, although for 30 Euro you can upgrade (if available, which it wasn't when we were there). The shower had been "fixed" and was a little confusing, but worked well once we figured it out. The view we had, well, it was an alley and I believe there was a pub nearby because we could hear people well into the night. There was not much for AC, so we had to keep the window open until the noise just got to be too much.
One really bright note is the in-house restaurant. It was great-friendly staff, great food, great atmosphere! Another shiny note is the man working the tour desk. He was really sweet, had a lot of useful information and even gave me a great idea for the shileliegh I picked up.

Room Tip: go with a Premium-they have more options and AC for a reasonable amount.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Katie Z,

Thank you so much for choosing the North Star Hotel and taking the time to post your review. All feedback we receive helps us to consistently review the service we provide to our guests therefore your feedback is very much appreciated.

It is fantastic to read that you had a nice stay with us and found our concierge, reception team and McGettigans Cookhouse & Bar staff to be great and friendly. It is always wonderful to hear such positive feedback, which serves as a great motivator to our team. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments are passed on to our concierge and the team and that their service is duly noted.

I was very sorry to read our porter were not able to help you with your luggage sometimes. Being centrally located hotel we are heavily occupied however I take note of your comment and take your feedback on board.

I also regret to hear your sleep was disturbed due to a level of noise coming from the outside bar. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and if you have the opportunity to stay with us again please contact me directly so that I can oversee your stay personally.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the North Star Hotel in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Diana@northstarhotel.ie
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

for first time travelers to Ireland we could not have been happier with this hotel. it has access to everything a traveller needs to have a good stay, transport, restaurants, (including the hotels own) shops and sights. it was clean and very comfortable. these kind of experiences when traveling make you want go back, thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

NorthStarhotel, Front Office Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear ritchie_haydn,

Many thanks for your kind review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear you found our hotel location convenient and that you enjoyed our newly refurbished rooms.

We understand the important of comfort to the leisure travelers and we look forward to welcoming you back to the North Star Hotel. Do let us know when you are coming back again and if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable.

Kind Regards,

Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed in the North Star hotel two weeks ago for three days and two nights. I have visited many cities and towns in Ireland over the last few years , however none of the hotels are anything compared to the North Star Hotel.The North Star Hotel ticks all the boxes , I must compliment the exterior and interior design of the hotel is magnificently beautiful with fantastic bedrooms especially the Premier rooms .The location of the hotel could not be better , it is in the heart of Dublin city centre .Also the Mc Gettigans Cookhouse is a top quality restaurant , the food was delicious and the staff were so friendly and welcoming throughout the hotel , in particular one of the breakfast room staff whose name i cant remember , he was a red headed gentleman , who on my first morning in The North Star Hotel was so welcoming and helpful . Over all my stay in The North Star Hotel was magnificent and I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone who wishes to visit Dublin and I cant wait until I visit Dublin again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Ben b,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback on your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the natural elegance of our Dublin City Georgian building fused with contemporary interior design guest bedrooms and that you had the opportunity to sample some of the amazing dishes we have on offer in McGettigans Cookhouse & Bar. Indeed our hotel is located in the heart of Dublin City therefore all Dublin’s attractions are within walking distance from the hotel.

I was particularly pleased to hear that our staff were so welcoming and friendly throughout your stay. I will pass your positive feedback on to the team so that they can continue to provide this level of service to all of our customers.

I hope that you have the opportunity to stay at the North Star Hotel in the not too distant future where my Team and I will have the opportunity to exceed your expectations once again.