“You better think twice....”
Review of Harcourt Hotel

Harcourt Hotel
Ranked #115 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 11 January 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel last December, and I have to say that those were the longest 4 nights we ever had. So, if you're looking for somewhere to relax and rest at night, STAY AWAY AT ANY COST!

The hotel was OK but the nightclub in the basement is like the gates of hell, and it opens everyday from 9pm to 2am. After closing, all those who were drinking and sweating inside there, come out to the street and continue the freakiest show ever for 2 hours more! Trying to sleep is useless, even using the auricular protectors PROVIDED BY THE HOTEL!

We will book any other hotel next time in Dublin, and if you are not intending to join the party, so should you.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sleepyguest
Write a ReviewReviews (1,372)

Reviewed 10 January 2007

We went to Dublin to attend a Conference - so Iwe were working. We arrived at the hotel around 11 p.m. and as we were very hungry and one of my colleagues had a problem with his contact lenses and needed some sterile water we asked for help at the front desk. To our surprise we were told by the lady at the front desk that there was no food available at that time and that the hotel did not have a firs aid kit! We asked for quiet rooms because we were tired of 9 hours travelling. They put us in rooms on the 1st floor - it was horrible! The noise from the pub was unbearable. Besides, we could smell the smoke from the people smoking outside. We called the reception several times during the night and they told us they couldn't do anything. The next morning we called our travel agent because we had paid in advance and he called the hotel. They moved us to rooms in the 3rd floor but the noise was still unbelievable! We complained about the noise everyday, but they just said they had a night club and it was like that. We stayed in Dublin 5 nights and could only sleep 3 hours per night because the night club closed at 4 a.m and we had to be up at 7 a.m. The noise is absolutely horrible, sometimes it felt like there was an earthquake because the floor would vibrate with the sound. Breakfast was not good. Few choices and poor quality.The best breakfast we had was at MacDonald's one day because we gave up going to the breakfast room since at night it was the bar and in the morning it smelled really bad. I don't recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2006

I stayed at the Harcourt for about 2 days in August of this year and I have to say reading the negative reviews is quite funny.

The rooms are small, but after staying in hostels and a dormitory in London during a volunteer stint - this hotel was a pleaser for me. First off I read reviews from other sites and mainly requested that I have a room away from the club so that I wouldn't be disturbed. They granted my request and I got a nice room on the 4th floor. There was an odd smell above my window, but it wasn't the room it was from the rooftop. The bed was big, firm and cozy. Bathroom was small, but clean and that's what I always look for when booking accommodations. I slept like a baby so no outside noise bothered me at all.

If you are a high maintenance traveler, then maybe the Harcourt is not for you. I give this place 3 stars tops.

Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank WigletinLA
Reviewed 5 November 2006

We stayed at the Harcourt Hotel to run the Dublin marathon. It is ideally situated with easy access to the whole city and we were attracted by the fact it was the home of George Bernard Shaw. Unfortunately it is really run down, wall paper peeling from the walls, TVs don't work and the furniture is cheap and woefully out of kilter with the history of the building. The customer service is appalling. We were without water for 10 hours through the evening of Saturday. The hotel's attitude was that they had rented us a room and were not obliged to supply water as well. We were told Dublin Water had been notified when they hadn't been. We were repeatedly reminded by the duty manager that it was neither his fault nor his problem. He very kindly offered the use of the toilet in the main hotel which meant walking down the street in the middle of the night in my nightwear. The hotel is also above a nightclub that didn't get going til midnight and was loud until 4am and the pavement was strewn with sick and broken glass. Unfortunately we had paid up front and the duty manager flatly refused to offer us a refund. Irish hospitality??? It has put me off ever visiting Ireland again.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank LevisTeam
Reviewed 24 October 2006

We have just got back ( today) from a two night trip to Dublin.

We had booked into the Harcourt Hotel and to all who are thinking about staying here, who are not with a " Hag or Stag" party - PLEASE DON'T!!!!!

We had read the reviews about the noise before we left and were very concerned ,so when we checked in we mentioned this and asked to be put in a quiet room. Little did we realise that this meant room 108,the first floor directly over the french doors from the bar/nightclub- and as smoking is not permitted in public places in Ireland, this meant hordes of merry smokers not only trying to drive us mad with noise but kill us through passive smoking!!

After a day of travelling and a great meal out we retired at 11.00pm - at this stage noise not so bad, so far so good!! I had taken the precaution of packing, and wearing earplugs but despite ramming these so far in my ear canals that I nearly burst my eardrums, we were woken at 12.30am by what only could be described as "Armageddon". I think had our bed been on Runway 2 at Heathrow we would have more chance of a good night's sleep!

The hotel operates a nightclub open till around 4.00am EVERY night of the week except Monday's and Tuesday's.

We repacked and went to ask the night staff to move us to a quieter rooom. Having discovered that no such thing existed in this hotel, we were transferred to the "Shaw Apartments", a small apartment complex , owned by the hotel ,a short taxi ride away .

I have to say that this was handled very well by the staff who are probably quite used to moving guests and proved to be a much better option for us.

We returned to the hotel for breakfast each morning, this was plentiful but mediocre and was served in the bar.

For anyone who still, having read this review wants to check the hotel out, make sure you ask for the Shaw Apartments, unless you only intend to use the room to sleep off your own hangover.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Domino69
Reviewed 22 October 2006

We stayed at the Haurcourt Hotel between Oct.18-19 and really loved it. The staff were very friendly and helped us with everything we needed. The rooms very big and lovely and the location was perfect. We had breakfast at the hotel and it was very good. We had a wonderful time in Dublin!! I will go there again and stay at the Harcourt Hotel. Tina Svensson

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank Camil
Reviewed 18 October 2006

I love Dublin, I stayed there many times in a different hotels but this one is by far the worst. The NOISE from the club is unbearable - that's why they provide you with the free ear plugs - they know why. TV has 4 channels with incredibly bad reception so forget about it. Rooms are tiny and it's like a dungeon. After you check in you have to go out, three steps down, down the street, three steps up and then it depends which room you get - I had to go 3 steps down U turn, 20 steps down, 10 meters, out of the building in the backyard! 20 meters upwise, another stairs up and then finally room - that was the most exhaustive part of the trip!!! Breakfasts are terrible - unless you like to cut your watermelons with the same knife as onions yuck!!! Really bad, avoid the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business