“It's just okay...”

Ranked #10 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
New York City, New York
“It's just okay...”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Nice enough, but far from a 5-star hotel. Nobody to valet park my car (had to go inside to grab somebody) and most nights couldn't avail of the hotel's 10 spaces (so had to park at a public lot). Bathrooms were really pretty depressing. Old toilets that required multiple attempts to flush and minuscule shower stalls. The bar downstairs used to be a bank vault and has terrific potential. Sadly, most of the time they had the lights at full volume and at eye level, which made the place look contrived--or as though they were shooing customers at last call. The food in "The Mint" was simple fare, the kind produced at any pub in Temple Bar. Very nice folks working there so I really hate to knock the place. That said, they really can't charge US$350 a night when the Four Seasons offers the same rate.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
Denver
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We thought this hotel was outstanding. Perfect location close to Trinity College, Grafton Street, and Temple Bar area. All these were within 2 to 3 blocks of the hotel. Front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. Would stay there again in a heartbeat and hope we get the chance.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank R0ckyMtnHigh
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Dear R0ckyMtnHigh,

I am thrilled to hear your stay was such a positive experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Dublin on your next visit to Dublin.

USA
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Spent two nights at this great hotel. Good location for first time Dublin visitors. Room was very comfortable (although a bit "stuffy" one night). Staff was wonderful, very helpful and professional. Offered suggestions for good restaurants, sightseeing, etc. Extremely helpful in getting us off to the next part of our vacation - cab was waiting with our luggage loaded when we got back from lunch. We'd stay there again on our next visit to Dublin.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Dear dottic,

I am delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I will be sure to pass your kind comments onto our team here.
I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us on your next visit to Dublin.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 10 September 2011

My room overlooked the atrium lobby. I had a Walk-in shower & nice tub. There was a speaker in the bathroom so I could hear the TV. Formal restaurant was closed the weekend I was there so I had a nice lunch in the basement pub. There is formal afternoon tea in the atrium. I walked to Grafton St, St. Teresa Church, Abbey Theatre, Stephen's Green, Trinity College, etc. The Viking Splash was the best tour. Airport bus stops across the street or take 747 (?) bus 2 blocks away near College Green.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Washington, DC
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The Westin Dublin is a block from the gates of Trinity College. My daughter and I were in Dublin for four days as tourists, and found the location perfect for what we were intersted in. It was walking distance from Trinity College, Grafton Street, St. Stephen's Green, Temple Bar, O'Connell Street, the Archaeology Museum, and so much more. Admittedly, we love to walk (we call it "Endurance Tourism") but we only needed one cab and a couple of tram and bus rides the whole time we were in Dublin. Am Ex Platinum got us an upgrade and breakfast, which made the hotel a good value too.

What we really liked is the way the hotel went out of its way to accommodate our particular schedule. Two of our four days we had to leave early, before the restaurant opened, and once even before regular breakfast service in the room was scheduled to begin, and each time, they brought breakfast to our room as early as we needed it. That really helped to make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank cameraman612
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Dear Cameraman612,

It is a pleasure to read your very positive review and I am delighted to read our central location was such an addition to your visit to Dublin.

I will be sure to pass your kind comments onto our In-room dining team here which I am sure will be very well received.

I hope to welcome you back to The Westin Dublin very soon.

Florida
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband and I chose the city of Dublin and staying at the Westin to celebrate a significant anniversary, fifty years married. Our early arrival did not present a problem, we were anticipated with smiles, Celtic charm and cake! Our room was large, lovely overlooking Westmoreland Street with all of its bubbly activity. The staff was a delight always a good morning or good evening, we certainly felt welcome and safe as first time visitors to this friendly city. The Westin made a special occasion very special indeed.
I must mention that the Westin Dublin is not only centrally located to all that Dublin has to offer a visitor, but, it’s location is kind to people who enjoy getting to know a city by walking about. We walked and walked always knowing at the end would be our lovely room and comfy bed.
A suggestion for people who would like to visit a well stocked food emporium, we suggest Fallon and Byrne on 11-17 Exchequer Street. Here you can make up a take out or go down the stairs for a sit down, casual and fun, tasty too.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Tasmania
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Great location, good rooms we upgraded to Oscar Wilde Suite it did cost nearly 300 euros a night which we happily paid but we checked in on the Sunday with a lot of bags, we were dressed in jeans and jumpers and the concierge looked at us as if what are you doing here ( never judge a book by its cover} and I thought jobs were tough here in Ireland. He never offered to help. Then every time we go through reception no one speaks or smiles { this is unusual in Ireland everywhere else was great ) they are not rude there is no love here. We had a problem after I paid the bill the day before we left to go back to Tasmania and the girl at reception made a mistake and Diego the front office Manager was great he fixed the problem and by the way the young lady was lovely and we told him of our experience's. I came back to the hotel two and half hours later and I walked in and two of the male staff again one was a conceirge and I said good afternoon they didn't break their conversation with each other and did'nt speak , again I was in jeans and jumper. Westin Management send these guys back where they come from and employ some of the staff from pubs in the Temple bar area they are polite and they know how to look after the tourist and lets face thats what you need is the tourist dollar. Maybe we have been unlucky but we have just been in Russia and stayed at W Hotel in St Petersburg and the staff were wonderful and I thought the Russians were supposed to be very reserved and the Irish were supposed to be friendly, but maybe the are better trained, next time I will bring a suit.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dogsey
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Dear Dogsey,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your valuable review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your accommodations, however it is very disappointing to read you did not receive the welcome we extend to all our patrons here at The Westin Dublin upon their arrival and during their stay. I will be sure to relay your comments to our concierge team and see that this misconception does not occur again.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Dublin soon.