“Excellent experience”
Review of The Westin Dublin

The Westin Dublin
Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I had a fantastic experience here. The hotel is beautiful and the location is ideal. I walked all over Dublin and felt this was centrally located to everything I wanted to see. Trinity College is across the street, Grafton Street shopping area is 5 minute walk, Temple Bar area is also right next door. The hotel room was superb, clean, roomy, and well appointed. I thought the hotel was charming but also modern and up to date. The bar downstairs was warm and inviting, I had a nice afternoon lunch to get out of the cold. The staff were exceptionally helpful. They really went out of their way to help me store bags there when I arrived (before the day I checked in) during a brief layover before heading to meeting in Belfast; the bell captain kept my stuff so I could tour around Dublin for a few hours before taking the train. I then returned a few days later and found the service equally friendly and helpful. I would DEFINITELY stay here agin if I return to Dublin.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Hi Jtcampbell87
Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely words after your stay with us in November. I am delighted to read that you were so happy with your accommodations. Thank you for your nice comments about the team in general I am always so pleased to read that our guests leave us this happy. I have passed your comments on to the team and I know they are delighted to receive comments such as yours. I hope we will have the chance to look after you again the next time you visit Dublin from Maryland. In the meantime be well.
Fred Smits

Write a ReviewReviews (2,629)

Reviewed 15 November 2013

This was a five day rocket-fast holiday from California to Dublin, so it was a whirl-wind to say the least. I chose the Westin over other 4-5 star hotels in Dublin because of stellar reviews on Trip Advisor and its physical location right in the middle of center city.
Our long flight landed in Dublin at 6AM, so I dreaded the time gap until we could check into the hotel, thinking it would be 3PM as it usually is. We walked into the lobby at 8:30 AM and told that our room would be ready after we had breakfast. Unbelievably, the clerk called before we even ordered coffee to advise that our room was ready. That is wonderful service.
Everything about the Westin was superb. We usually stay in Marriotts, so we are spoiled by consistent high quality and were not disappointed here. Along with the staff being incredibly helpful and friendly, the hotel was beautiful and immaculate. Our room was lovely by any standard; the bedding was sumptuous and the very modern bathroom (with both a large shower and a separate bath tub) was huge by American standards, let alone the typical European small bathroom. The room included one US style electrical outlet and USB jacks built into the desk area.
The location was perfect. Most things we wanted to see were less than 10 minutes away from the Westin. We bought a bus pass for 28 euros and it took us everywhere else, including the seasde sights and to & from the airport.
In fairness, this rating should be 4.75 instead of a 5, because wi-fi was not included even in common areas.

A minor disappointment was no coffee available in the morning in the lobby as Marriott provides. However, there is a Starbucks right next door which opens early.

This was our second stay at a Starwood Hotel this year (Zihuatenao Mexico earlier) and both were so splendid that I have become a member and feel perfectly comfortable staying there any time.

Room Tip: The clerk offered us a suite for another 50 euros per night, but after seeing our king non-smoking r...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Garry L and thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review after your five day visit here in The Westin and Dublin city.
It is lovely to read your comments and to read that you had a wonderful time. I am delighted that the team was both friendly and helpful. I am very happy that we were able to accommodate you with an early check –in it is always great when that works out for our guests. Thanks again for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Dublin the next time you are in Dublin from California.
All the best

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Westin Dublin
has a perfect location , across from Temple Bar and next to Trinity College. They also have a perfect staff, the most helpful overall hotel I have ever stayed at. The rooms are nice and comfortable and the bathroom lovely. We ate at the Mint Bar one night (were to tired to go back to Temple Bar) food was good bar service timely and again staff was so friendly. We can't wait to return to Ireland.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear noriOceanside
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is lovely to read your comments and to read that you had a wonderful time. Thanks for your lovely words about the Mint bar I am very happy to read them. I am delighted to read that you found the team to be ‘perfect’ and the most helpful hotel you I have ever stayed at. I have shared your comments with the team and we very much look forward to having the pleasure of looking after you again in the not too distant future.
thanks again

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stayed at the Westin Dublin for 2 nights this past weekend, my first experience at this hotel. The location is excellent - right in the heart of Dublin, opposite Trinity College and walking distance from everything the city has to offer. The physical property itself is beautiful, once you get inside. Over the years, I've stayed at dozens of Westin properties worldwide, but this one is by far the most attractive. It exudes an air of elegance and history that are almost always missing from the Westin chain. The staff were friendly and accommodating and - surprisingly - mostly Irish. That seems to be a rarity in Ireland these days, with the influx of immigrants taking many open positions in the hospitality industry.

With all of that said, I was disappointed with this stay. I had booked through the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program. This stay was supposed to come with complimentary afternoon tea for two, daily breakfast and a room upgrade, amongst other benefits.

Afternoon tea was only available at 5pm which, is to my mind, not afternoon tea, but closer to dinner. Really, if you have tea at that time, what time do you expect to have dinner? It's a bit absurd. If the amenity is not reasonably available, they should offer an alternative. I skipped the 5pm tea.

On the first night, I left out the door hanger order form for breakfast to be delivered at 10am. It never appeared. I didn't pursue the matter, as I just didn't have the time (decided to just avail of the lie-in instead). On day two, breakfast did materialize, which was good as I had an early start for my trek back to Texas. It was hot, fresh and tasty. I just don't understand why it didn't appear on my first morning there.

As for the room upgrade, I wasn't offered one. I had a deluxe queen room, exactly what I booked. That's fine, I understand that upgrades are on as 'as available' basis. With that said, this is the first property I've booked with the AmEx Fine Hotels program that didn't come through with an upgrade. I paid a premium to book using this program and didn't feel like I got value for that premium. AmEx offers an avenue for feedback on each Fine Hotels stay, and I'll be availing of that opportunity, too.

Despite the great location and the nice property, I will go back to the Conrad or the Ritz-Carlton (or whatever that property has been rebranded to) before I return to the Westin.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear fishface74
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Westin Dublin. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to apologise to you for the issues with the afternoon tea, we have listened to your problem, because of the issue you have raised we have decided to review the allocation of benefits such as these. In future we will offer an alternative benefit if such a situation arises. I would also like to apologise that you did not receive breakfast on the first morning of your stay, our Director of food and beverage is looking into this to ensure that this does not happen again.
Should you wish to discuss this further I would ask you to contact me directly. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review, I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 14 November 2013

The Westin is located right in the center of Dublin which puts it within walking distance of all the sights (everything within 2.5 mile radius, if that is too far there is always the hop-on hop-off bus or regular city buses). The hotel itself is in an old bank building that is filled with fine architectural detail - ask a staffer to show you the ballroom which use to be the main teller space in the bank - it is as opulent as any palace. The staff are very helpful and friendly, we sked to see the ballroom and were treated to an impromptu tour of all the great spaces from the old bank - every staffer gave the same great level of effort, we always got more than we asked for (in a good way). The hotel breakfast buffet is quite good with a large selection and they had no trouble accomodating a gluten-free diet, including specially making gluten-free porridge. The rooms were large and comfortable, the windows open - the only drawback is that the street-side rooms can be a bit noisy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Douglas T
Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments after your stay with us. I am delighted to read that you were able to get a tour of out lovely Banking Hall it is worth a visit! Thank you for your nice comments about the team in general I am always so happy to read that our guests leave us this happy. I hope we will have the chance to look after you again the next time you visit Dublin from Massachusetts.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Really enjoyed my stay at Westin. Great location and some great restaurants. Very friendly staff. Relaxing and enjoyable stay. Would definitely stay here again, on my next trip to Dublin. The Westin is an excellent choice to stay and the restaurant in the hotel serves excellent food and wine (Exchange Bar, The Mint Bar and The Atrium Lounge!!!)

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sourabh K
I would like to thank you so much for your lovely review following your stay with us in the Westin Dublin. I am delighted to read comments such as yours it makes all our hard work worthwhile. I am very happy that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us. We are delighted that you will return to stay with us again.
Be Well
General manager

Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I just spent 3 nights in Dublin at the Westin. We were so impressed with everything about the hotel. From the staff that couldn't do enough for us, to our room which was truly lovely, great bed, great shower, and even the hotel restuarant was far better than the usual for a hotel. The location of the hotel was absolutely perfect, we could walk everyone. Great, great choice, we highly recommend it.

Hello Ronnie12368
Thanks for such a lovely review after you and your husband stayed with us in November. I am so happy to read that the team couldn't do enough for you while you stayed with us. You are so right we have a fantastic location here in the centre of Dublin which means that you can walk to all the sights with ease. I do hope that you will both visit us again the next time you are in Dublin.
All the best