“Wonderful”

Ranked #10 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a terrible experience at another hotel and the Westin was one of the few in the city that had rooms available. They were so helpful. They found a lovely room and even upgraded us to compensate for our troubles at a completely different hotel. The breakfast was perfect, location is in the middle of everything, and the spa services were on point and reasonable. Definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AVL33
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear AVL33, thanks for sharing your comments after your stay with us here in the Westin Dublin. I am delighted that we were able to help you turn your trip around and that you enjoyed your visit to Dublin. I am very happy that the team here looked after you both and I want to thank you for your lovely compliments. I do hope that we will have another chance to welcome you both to the Westin the next time you are in Dublin.
Slan agus Beannacht
Fred Smits

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Westin is my preferred hotel in Dublin. It has reliably consistent service, great location and reasonable price for what it offers. I used this hotel more than 10 times since 2003, and this particular review relate to my 3 past stays throughout May-June.

Please read my prior review if you are interested in more details. This one will reflect on changes made in the hotel and it's surroundings since last stay and general observations on room selection.

Westin Dublin finished renovating 5th floor so there is no more construction noise. They also installed card readers in the elevators which improved security. It is, however, in the middle of large construction project around the hotel and at the college green - installation of rail tracks for city's new tram line. Driving around is difficult and when tram will be operational I believe rooms that face tracks (to be laid along College street) will be even noisier than currently. Their main restaurant was only open for breakfasts due to construction outside (I was told till November).

Hotel itself spans several old buildings in approximately triangular shape defined by Westmorland street (where the entrance is), Fleet Street and College street. It therefore have 2 broad room categories - these facing one of the streets,these facing the atrium and these facing internal courtyard. Rooms at the floor 5 will have reduced ceiling height (that can be touched by hand), therefore are quite claustrophobic and not really recommended.

Outside facing rooms: the biggest enemy of these rooms is street/traffic noise. Rooms facing Westmoreland street are noisiest (due to bigger street with more traffic and because of temple bar entrance). Ones facing Fleet Street are somewhat less noisy with rooms facing College Street are somewhere in the middle (but probably be noisiest when tram will be operational).

Rooms facing atrium: less noisy due to them facing enclosed area, can be however considerably noisier when there is a function at Atrium lounge (but these always end before 11pm). Have generally less light and are smaller than these facing outside (I don't think there are any deluxe rooms that face the atrium). Another issue with these is privacy as one either need to have blinds clods at all times or face the fact that whatever you do is clearly visible to rooms across the atrium.

Rooms facing internal courtyard are least noisy, but there are not too many of them.

From category point of view, there are standard rooms (atrium facing), deluxe rooms and suites (writer rooms can be considered as jr suite or suite based on your tastes). Majority of rooms seem to be deluxe rooms. Due to hotel spanning several old buildings, majority of suites and some of the rooms will have different configuration, so if you stayed in one before, or viewed one at the hotel web site, don't expect that yours will be the same. Therefore, if you don't like your room layout, don't assume that all other rooms are the same - ask management to show another room (if rooms are available they usually accommodate requests to move).

Upgrades: most often, they will upgrade from standard to deluxe room. If you booked deluxe room already, don't expect to be upgraded into suite (regardless if you are gold or platinum SPG guest - in past 10 years I had either status and was upgraded into suite only once). If noise is something you don't tolerate we'll, you may consider declining the upgrade into deluxe room as most of these will be external-facing.

The best way to proceed if you are interested in particular room is to email the hotel. They always reply and most often accommodate reasonable requests. Another request you may consider making in advance is to decide whether you want a fridge in your room - if you do, they can free the minibar for you to use as a fridge.

I cannot possibly describe every feature of this hotel - if you have ay questions please let me know.

2 Thank avsm
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi avsm and thanks for your detailed review of us here in the Westin Dublin. I am happy that you have found us to have consistently good service and I am glad that you are happy with our renovations and our improved security measures. As you say in your review the construction of the LUAS line will be finished by the end of October and the disruptions will come to an end then. We are happy that the LUAS tram line when it is up and running will not increase the noise level as it is a modern tram and the engine noise is quieter than the buses that operate in Dublin city now. You are so right we always do our best to accommodate any special requests that our guests have for rooms or indeed anything else we can help them with. I do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to the Westin the next time you are in Dublin on business. Thanks again for you comments.
All the best
Tupelo, Mississippi
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We really enjoyed the convenient location of The Westin. Easy access to the DART and steps away from Temple Bar and Grafton Street. Excellent furnishings in room and nice linens. The bath was over the top nice! Staff was always eager to address any needs and always pleasant. Late check in time of 4:00 which seems to be the norm in Dublin. We had to wait on our room on a previous trip at another property. Really inconvenient to wait six hours for a check in after traveling all night and you really can't explore while waiting without a shower. I would advise anyone to plan your flight around these late check ins. Other than that it was perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing street. Excellent views and minimal noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear rickeyandcarla,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review following your recent experience at The Westin Dublin. I am really pleased to hear that your stay with us was comfortable and enjoyable for you both. It is true, we are situated in a very central location in Dublin and it is always great to hear that our guests are able to take advantage of this.

Again, thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I hope to welcome you back to The Westin Dublin soon.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff. Food recommendations were right on. Conceirge and doormen were super. room was lovely, spacious, very comfortable. Wonderfful location. Near Trinity College, Book of Kells, Temple and wide choice of restaurants. Sunday breakfast terrific
, lots of smoked salmon, decent coffee.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear rchod,

Thank you very much for writing your review following you recent visit to The Westin Dublin. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's wonderful that you were able to take such great advantage of our location in the heart of Dublin city centre.

I hope to welcome you back to The Westin Dublin soon.

Kapurthala, India
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was my first visit to Ireland. I was going through the possible hotels to stay at for my first visit and came across the Westin. Knowing the Westin brand, I knew there wasn't a possibility of being disappointed but my stay exceeded all expectations. The location of the hotel, near Trinity College was the perfect view to start my day. The large windows in the rooms act as the perfect binoculars for a view of lovely Dublin. When you enter the hotel the smell of eucalyptus accentuates throughout making the welcome even better. The Westin sticks to the very high standards it has set across the world. First time in Dublin. You have to stay at the Westin.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Gaganjeet B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your lovely review following your recent experience at The Westin Dublin. It is always so great to hear such positive feedback from our guests. I am delighted to hear that your stay with us exceeded all of your expectations and that you enjoyed your first visit to this wonderful emerald isle!

Again, thank you very much for providing your feedback on your visit to The Westin Dublin and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Dublin
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Brought my mother here for afternoon tea for her birthday and I really can't speak highly enough of the staff. We had the 'peculiar' afternoon tea which was absolutely delicious, particularly the top tier. The staff were welcoming and so helpful and really went the extra mile to make her feel special.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Niamh M
Dear Niamh M,

Thank you so very much for your lovely feedback, it really is greatly appreciated. I am delighted to hear that you and your mother both enjoyed your Afternoon Tea experience in The Atrium Lounge. Your lovely comments have been passed on to the team.

Again, thank you very much for your review and I hope to welcome you both back to The Westin Dublin soon.

Granger, Indiana
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I hosted a group of 9 rooms here this past weekend and the hotel was brilliant. Easy check in, great service, perfect location. Really really great stay. Concierge set us up a private tour to malahide castle billed right to my room and great dinner reservations around town.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear aaronr,

Thank you very much for writing your review following your stay with us. I am really delighted to hear that you and your group enjoyed your experience at The Westin Dublin. It is really great to hear that our concierge team were able to meet your needs and assist in arranging your trip to the lovely Malahide Castle.

I hope to welcome you back to The Westin Dublin soon.