“Nice hotel....but poor customer experience”
Review of The Westin Dublin

The Westin Dublin
Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have stayed in the Westin Dublin in Feb 2014, hotel is well presented & great location for bars, however I won't be staying here ever again as their handling of the Garth Brooks saga has left a bad taste in my mouth. I will never be recommending the hotel to anyone else.

The other major hotels in Dublin are giving refunds to customer impacted by Dublin city councils decision to block concerts...I think I'll be staying with them in future.

The Westin would not even consider moving the reservation to a different date. Was booked as a Mother's Day present and between them Dublin city council & The Westin Dublin have ruined her trip away.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AmyG00021
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear AmyG00021 thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us here in the Westin Dublin. I am sorry that you are one of the thousands of unhappy fans of Garth Brooks who will not be able to enjoy going to see him perform. I am sorry that you are considering not coming from Belfast to visit us and enjoy the many alternative promotions and events being planned for last week in July here in Dublin. There are many other events that you and your Mum could visit and we would be delighted to have you as our guest. I do hope that you will change your mind and join us here in the Westin; we would very much like to look after you and your Mother for her special celebration. If you would like to speak with me directly please do contact me and I would be delighted to hear from you and help you make a memorable stay for your Mother.
Kind regards
Fred Smits

Write a ReviewReviews (2,629)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I travel for business and stay at a Westin whenever possible because they appreciate my business, which is demostrated by their staff at check in and I know what to expect, regardless of the country I'm in. North American versus European hotels are very different. European hotels have much smaller rooms, beds, bathrooms and rarely have air conditioning. I'm from North America and accustomed to larger rooms with AC. The Dublin Westin is perfectly located in Dublin and you can walk to anything. When you get back to your hotel, it's like coming home. I highly recommend the Westin chain, but if you're in Dublin, you won't be disappointed with this hotel

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kate G
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hi Kate G and thank you for your lovely comments I am very happy to read that we are your home away form home, it is how we want our guests to feel. I am delighted that your experience means that you will be back to stay with us here when you visit Dublin for business. You are so right we are very lucky with our location within walking distance of everything in Dublin. I look forward to your return visit.
Be well

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My first trip abroad, arriving by myself, for the first day of my vacation. The Westin in Dublin was a very welcoming experience. The location was amazing. The room couldn't have been more comfortable. The beds really are "heavenly". I felt comfortable walking to Grafton Street, and other areas by myself. I met cousins at the Westin, and enjoyed tea. This wonderful destination set the tone for the rest of the trip. I can't recommend it enough! After a 10 hour flight, this beautiful hotel fit the bill perfectly. No jet lag because of my stay here!

Room Tip: Ask about the views of Trinity College.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Patti P

Dear Patti P thank you for your nice comments, I am delighted to be reading your lovely review, it really is wonderful when our guests are this happy after their stay. I am glad that you had a chance to enjoy afternoon tea in the Atrium lounge and that you where relaxed and rejuvenated after sleeping in our 'Heavenly bed'. I do hope that you will be return again and we will have the chance to welcome you back to the Westin and to Dublin.
All the best

Reviewed 11 July 2014

his is a great hotel in an ideal location. It is walking distance to nearly everything, but in a quiet spot. Check in was quick and informative. Baggage assistance was excellent both upon arrival and departure. Our room was very large with an oversized bathroom. The beds, as expected, were "heavenly." Of course, The Westin wasn't the cheapest choice, but you get what you pay for. I would return without hesitation. The only bummer was no free in-room wi-fi. You had to head down to the lobby for the free service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Scott805 thank you so much for your lovely comments following your stay with us in the Westin Dublin. I am happy to read that you were pleased with your accommodations and enjoyed a restful sleep in our 'Heavenly beds'. Its great to read that you would return to visit us again and I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the Westin when you next visit Dublin from Chicago.
Slan agus Beannacht

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We wanted to be near the action of downtown Dublin such as Temple Bar, Grafton St., O'Connell Street and Trinity College, but not listen to all the accompanying noise at night. The Westin's accommodations met all of our expectations, was supremely quiet and more. Their concierge service was excellent, recommending to us to The Pig's Ear, the best meal we had during our week in Ireland, and to a tasty bakery for Sunday brunch. Driving to the hotel was also a breeze, a nice surprise considering all the travel guides who told us not to drive in Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear jeffhack,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback following your recent stay at The Westin Dublin. I am delighted to hear that you found our central location in Dublin such a benefit to your trip. Thank you for your kind feedback on our Concierge team, I will be sure to pass this on to the team.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to The Westin Dublin soon.

Be Well,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a terrible experience at another hotel and the Westin was one of the few in the city that had rooms available. They were so helpful. They found a lovely room and even upgraded us to compensate for our troubles at a completely different hotel. The breakfast was perfect, location is in the middle of everything, and the spa services were on point and reasonable. Definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AVL33

Dear AVL33, thanks for sharing your comments after your stay with us here in the Westin Dublin. I am delighted that we were able to help you turn your trip around and that you enjoyed your visit to Dublin. I am very happy that the team here looked after you both and I want to thank you for your lovely compliments. I do hope that we will have another chance to welcome you both to the Westin the next time you are in Dublin.
Slan agus Beannacht

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Westin is my preferred hotel in Dublin. It has reliably consistent service, great location and reasonable price for what it offers. I used this hotel more than 10 times since 2003, and this particular review relate to my 3 past stays throughout May-June.

Please read my prior review if you are interested in more details. This one will reflect on changes made in the hotel and it's surroundings since last stay and general observations on room selection.

Westin Dublin finished renovating 5th floor so there is no more construction noise. They also installed card readers in the elevators which improved security. It is, however, in the middle of large construction project around the hotel and at the college green - installation of rail tracks for city's new tram line. Driving around is difficult and when tram will be operational I believe rooms that face tracks (to be laid along College street) will be even noisier than currently. Their main restaurant was only open for breakfasts due to construction outside (I was told till November).

Hotel itself spans several old buildings in approximately triangular shape defined by Westmorland street (where the entrance is), Fleet Street and College street. It therefore have 2 broad room categories - these facing one of the streets,these facing the atrium and these facing internal courtyard. Rooms at the floor 5 will have reduced ceiling height (that can be touched by hand), therefore are quite claustrophobic and not really recommended.

Outside facing rooms: the biggest enemy of these rooms is street/traffic noise. Rooms facing Westmoreland street are noisiest (due to bigger street with more traffic and because of temple bar entrance). Ones facing Fleet Street are somewhat less noisy with rooms facing College Street are somewhere in the middle (but probably be noisiest when tram will be operational).

Rooms facing atrium: less noisy due to them facing enclosed area, can be however considerably noisier when there is a function at Atrium lounge (but these always end before 11pm). Have generally less light and are smaller than these facing outside (I don't think there are any deluxe rooms that face the atrium). Another issue with these is privacy as one either need to have blinds clods at all times or face the fact that whatever you do is clearly visible to rooms across the atrium.

Rooms facing internal courtyard are least noisy, but there are not too many of them.

From category point of view, there are standard rooms (atrium facing), deluxe rooms and suites (writer rooms can be considered as jr suite or suite based on your tastes). Majority of rooms seem to be deluxe rooms. Due to hotel spanning several old buildings, majority of suites and some of the rooms will have different configuration, so if you stayed in one before, or viewed one at the hotel web site, don't expect that yours will be the same. Therefore, if you don't like your room layout, don't assume that all other rooms are the same - ask management to show another room (if rooms are available they usually accommodate requests to move).

Upgrades: most often, they will upgrade from standard to deluxe room. If you booked deluxe room already, don't expect to be upgraded into suite (regardless if you are gold or platinum SPG guest - in past 10 years I had either status and was upgraded into suite only once). If noise is something you don't tolerate we'll, you may consider declining the upgrade into deluxe room as most of these will be external-facing.

The best way to proceed if you are interested in particular room is to email the hotel. They always reply and most often accommodate reasonable requests. Another request you may consider making in advance is to decide whether you want a fridge in your room - if you do, they can free the minibar for you to use as a fridge.

I cannot possibly describe every feature of this hotel - if you have ay questions please let me know.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank avsm
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Hi avsm and thanks for your detailed review of us here in the Westin Dublin. I am happy that you have found us to have consistently good service and I am glad that you are happy with our renovations and our improved security measures. As you say in your review the construction of the LUAS line will be finished by the end of October and the disruptions will come to an end then. We are happy that the LUAS tram line when it is up and running will not increase the noise level as it is a modern tram and the engine noise is quieter than the buses that operate in Dublin city now. You are so right we always do our best to accommodate any special requests that our guests have for rooms or indeed anything else we can help them with. I do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to the Westin the next time you are in Dublin on business. Thanks again for you comments.
All the best