“A Spectacular Experience”
Review of The Westin Dublin

The Westin Dublin
Ranked #15 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 13 August 2014

From the very start, pulling up at the door in the rain, we were immediately surrounded by umbrellas and staff waiting to take care of our every need. That set the scene for three amazing days of over and above service - from the amazing breakfasts to the ever-so-helpful staff, to concierge knowledge, to a special 50th wedding note for my parents, to the front desk efficiency, to the spectacular rooms. My whole family came away with a resounding "amazing" in relation to our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Hi Traveler999999999, Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is lovely to read your comments and to read that you and your family enjoyed your visit with us. I am delighted that your parents enjoyed their 50th anniversary celebration and that we were part of it. We look forward to you and your family coming to stay with us again and hope that we can again part of a special celebration for you all.
Be well
Fred Smits

Write a ReviewReviews (2,669)

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

You could not ask for a better hotel in central Dublin. This place has the bed and pillows you will only find in a Westin. Everything is high quality and really lets you relax.

The breakfast in the atrium is well worth a stop. The staff is more than helpful. No matter how strange the request is they will help.

If you are interested in drinking it is very near temple bar area. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Matt M and thank you for your lovely review it is great to read that you would stay with us again as this is our ultimate goal. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed some quiet time in the Atrium and the team were more than helpful and I have passed your nice comments on to them. Thanks again for your lovely review and we look forward to your return visit.
Be well

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Westin Dublin is perfectly situated in the heart of Dublin. It is directly across the street from Trinity College (Book of Kells) and the Temple Bar area. Also a nice stroll to St Stephen's Green and Dublin Castle.

Beyond the great location, it is also a nice hotel. The restaurants and bar are nice and the staff is excellent. The concierge booked a private walking tour for us that was excellent (and less expensive than the one that we had tried to book on our own).

The only drawback for me was the fitness facility - it's serviceable but clearly an afterthought (in a room with no windows).

So, bottom line is that if you plan to walk around and see the sights, this hotel fits the bill.

Room Tip: Room 421 is a corner "writer's room" and features a very small but lovely balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Hi DCNJ11 thanks for your review, It is lovely to read your comments and to read that you enjoyed your visit with us. I am so happy that the recommendations from the team enhanced your stay and I have passed your comments on to the concierge team. We are very lucky with our location and I am delighted that you were able to take advantage of it. Did you see that we have jogging maps and towels and water you can get these from the concierge team and so you can get outside for a run in this great weather we are enjoying at the moment? I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the Westin the next time you visit Dublin.
Slan agus Beannacht

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I liked this hotel overall and would return. However, there were a few negative issues. First, the hotel is in the middle of a huge city construction project to install rail tracks on the street facing the hotel. In fact, there is quite a bit of construction going on in this area. My husband communicated with two staff members before we arrived asking for two interconnecting rooms in the most quiet part of the hotel. He received two replies confirming our request. In fact, they did reserve interconnecting rooms in the quiet section and held them until the afternoon before we arrived and then gave them away to another family (???). We arrived late at night completely exhausted from our flight from California to find that our rooms were gone. The Eastern European staff member gave us interconnecting rooms facing the construction sight. "Sorry we have nothing else." No thanks. So a Spanish staff member (majority of the staff seems to be from Spain) found a small internal room with a small queen bed on the fourth floor with two windows facing the indoor atrium. Two of us took that. Two of us had to wait another night to get a smaller internal room with two twin beds and one window facing the atrium also on the fourth floor. Not interconnecting. Less convenient for a family.

Did we get quiet? Not really. While we had no street traffic or construction noise the rooms are not quiet. The a/c unit shuts off and on frequently with clicking noises. The walls are pretty thin so you can hear the tv from your neighbor. The doors are heavy so you hear the slamming of them from people entering and exiting their rooms. This proved to be problematic as we had rowdy neighbors who came back drunk very late at night and slammed their doors. One night they had a drunken fight and I had to call security (they came in two seconds). I slept with ear plugs. Bad guests are not the fault of the hotel.

The rooms are simple, comfortable and fine if you just need a place to sleep in a good location in Dublin. We had a desk, desk chair and another armchair. The bathroom was adequate. The first night I had to clean the toilet seat but after that I always found it clean. We kept the curtains closed as we did not want people across the atrium to be able to look in. They remembered not to use air freshener in our rooms.

The hotel staff are very nice and helpful and despite the room issue we felt that they were otherwise well trained. In particular, the Irish concierge was extremely friendly and useful with advice and maps. He took a long time giving each guest advice. No request was too much for him.

There are two breakfast venues as the hotel. We ate breakfast most of the week at the Atrium. It is a lovely and relaxing room with comfortable chairs and lots of light. I enjoyed the smoked salmon and a fruit salad most mornings and my husband liked his eggs benedict. He likes his eggs runny and had to return one cooked too well. The very nice chef actually came out to talk to him to make sure he was pleased with the second batch. Our pretty, friendly and efficient waitress was Dutch and a pleasure to see first thing in the morning (and get to practice my Dutch with). On our last morning we ate at The Exchange and did not enjoy it. It faces the street and has large windows so we asked the hostess if we could sit in one of the two available tables by the windows. She rudely informed us that they were "reserved" even though there was no reserved cards on them. She sat us in a dark corner behind a pillar. I got increasingly more upset as not a single person showed up for the "reserved" tables. Finally, seeing that I was angry she moved us to a table by the window. I ordered eggs on gluten free bread. They arrived with regular bread. My husband's order was also not done properly. We would not return to eat at the Exchange.

I think this hotel is a good option for a visit to Dublin. Despite the issues I would return. The Irish are a very friendly bunch and my overall impression of my visit is a positive one. We have happy thoughts of breakfast in the Atrium. Those mornings will be missed.

Room Tip: Wait until the construction is over for rooms facing the street. Ask for rooms facing the Atrium.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank misanthropicdreamer

Dear misanthropicdreamer thank you so much for your review after you and your family stayed with us here in the Westin Dublin. I would like to start by apologizing to you for the mix up with your rooms and that you were disturbed during your stay. Thank you for your kind comments about the concierge team and the team in the Atrium I have passed them on and I know that they are delighted to receive them. I have also passed your comments on to the supervisor in the Exchange as I was very unhappy to read of your experience there. I do hope that your flight back to San Francisco was a pleasant and incident free one, thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I am very picky when it comes to where I stay, and more often than not I am often disappointed in the price vs. quality of most European hotels.

I am happy to say that after a two night stay this past week, I can confirm that the Westin Dublin deserves 5 stars!

Location: Perfect. 5 minutes to Trinity College, Grafton, Temple Bar, and pretty much any other centrally located attraction one could think of.

Room: The Westin is part of Amex's Fine Hotel and Resorts program, which is often the service we use when booking our hotels. We booked a deluxe room and were upgraded to a two story suite per the FHR deal. From the winding staircase to the beautiful sitting room to the balcony, I have nothing negative to say. The room was also spotless, which is always a huge thing for me.

Service: Top notch. Everyone was super friendly and helpful, check-in and check-out was a breeze, and I loved the added note on each name tag of what the individual's "passion" is. Such a great conversation starter.

A few minor negatives: room service food is rather bland and (as always) overpriced. Avoid it. Also, our duvet had a blood stain on it but that problem was quickly remedied by the cleaning staff.

Overall: I highly recommend this hotel. I've had great luck with Westins around the world. Definitely my go-to hotel when traveling.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear ameenadin, thank you so much for your lovely comments following your two night stay with us here in the Westin Dublin. It is great to read that you would highly recommend us, thanks for that! I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your in room dining, I have passed your comments on to our executive chef and he is looking into the menu options that are available. So I hope that the next time you visit it will be just right for you. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the Westin again.
Slan agus Beannacht

Reviewed 6 August 2014

First we only stayed for one night and did not avail of any of the hotels Food and Beverage options, It is primarily a city centre business hotel with internal rooms facing an internal sealed court yard. Rooms are of the class you would expect with Westin group and the service we experienced was efficient.
As this is a city hotel we requested an internal court yard room to avoid the street noise, this worked well for us however I am not sure if the windows opened, this was not a big deal for us but may be for some people.
Room was quiet and air con worked, usual corridor noise but could not hear anything through the walls.
great location for city walks and seemed to have a decent foor offering.

Room Tip: Internal rooms look onto a court yard and avoid street noise, but no view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank voproductions
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Hi voproductions, thanks for taking the time to share your comments following your stay with us here in the Westin. I am happy to read that you were pleased with your accommodations, however I see that you have only given us three stars and I wonder how we could have done better? If you would like to discuss this further please do get in contact with me I would be delighted to speak with you in person. Thanks again for taking the time to post your review, I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Just had my birthday weekend in Dublin. Stayed at the Westin Dublin. Lovely stay! Check in was quick and staff very polite. We were upgraded to a city view room on the second floor. Room was very clean, spacious and cosy. When we arrived to the room a cake was sent up, which was really nice of them! We ordered room service and even though it was just after 22h30, the kind staff allowed us to order from the normal menu as the night time menu kicks in at 22h30. We had the tomato soup as a starter and created our own salads as a main. We also had a bottle of sauvignon blanc from New Zealand. The food and drinks arrived quite quickly and the presentation was lovely. Best room service I have had in a long time. Bed was very comfortable. Westin beds are the best! Staff was kind enough to give us a late check out on the Sunday at 1pm. Wifi free in the lobby but paid for in the room. Location great, right opposite Trinity College and various bus stops. Concierge very good and friendly too. Hope to return soon, thanks for a lovely stay!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi amroid22 I am delighted that we were part of your birthday celebration, and that the team looked after you so well. Thanks for all your lovely comments and I have shared them with the team. I do hope you will be back again and we can be part of your next big celebration, we very much look forward to having the pleasure of looking after you again in the not too distant future.