“A great first time visit to Ireland”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Sandringham
“A great first time visit to Ireland”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We spent three nights of our holiday at the Clontarf Castle, the first 3 of our 30 tour of Europe! The ambience was wondefull, breakfasts and dinners perfect, a very impressive lodging. Set a standard the other places could not meet.

The room was a wee bit small, but very comfortable. An unfortunate air conditioning issue took longer to correct than would have been expected, but then we Australians do not like being "cooked".

I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Clontarf Castle to other visitors.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank guyd673
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the kind review. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and how impressed you were with the ambience, food & service. I’m so glad you chose to stay with us as part of your trip to Europe and I hope to see you again next time you stay in Dublin.
Mark Long

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I recently stayed here on business and couldn't have had a more relaxing or satisfying stay. Each morning I was treated to a lovely full Irish breakfast and when I returned in the evening I'd have a beautiful dinner and a well earned pint in the bar. I must say the highlight of my stay was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! Next time I'm in Dublin on business I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: If all the rooms are as comfortable as mine then you will be in for a treat!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the kind review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and could enjoy the food & drink in Knight’s Bar. It is also very nice to hear how impressed you were with the comfort of your bed. I hope you had a great time in Dublin and please be assured I would be delighted to welcome you back again soon.
Eastern NC
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My best friend and I flew from N.C. to Ireland for a 7-night self-drive tour. We spent our first night in Dublin at Clontarf Castle. It was almost a magical experience. There was so much to see, it was very medieval in a modern kind of way. I especially wanted great pictures to take home to show everyone and some of our best indoor pictures were taken here. They had so many nooks and crannies with the most interesting furniture and accents. The staff was great, the concierge was awesome. I emailed quite a bit with questions before the trip and she was always helpful, very resourceful. The room was great, very luxurious, and our double decker tour bus picked us up at the hotel. Since this was our first night in Dublin we were surprised they did not have washcloths, but only one of our seven hotels did so we learned not to expect them. Our breakfast was very good, staff in the dining room were excellent. We did not have any other meals here nor did we utilize room service. We would highly recommend this to anyone. Out of our seven hotels, this was definitely the best.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I’m so happy you had such a great stay with us and found it to be a magical experience. I was especially delighted to hear how impressed you were with the service of our staff and the décor of the hotel. I hope your visit to Ireland was a fantastic experience and I would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel on your next trip.
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stayed two nights at the Clontarf Castle and it was worth the journey to stay there. Upon approach, the Castle is so impressive! It truly is a beautiful building. Our room was on the small side but we had a king bed and lots of hot water in the shower and those are two musts for a great stay. We ate both nights in the Knight's Pub and the food was delicious. We just couldn't justify the expense of the restaurant...not when the pub was so lovely and the food came from the same kitchen. The breakfast buffet was good and included in our room charge. The only down side to staying here is that there's no easy way for a "tourist" to get back into Dublin Center. The castle truly is in a residential area. The bus you might have heard stops out front - doesn't. The stop is no longer in service. You would have to walk in to the village that's 15 minutes walk away and then take the bus from there...or pay the 26 euro cab fare each way. Fortunately for our budget, we just walked to the village and along the riverside park and had a relaxing time away from the city center. If "stay at an Irish castle" in on your bucket list, make it this one and you won't be sorry.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the kind review. I’m delighted to hear how impressed you were with the hotel during your stay. I’m especially glad you enjoyed your room and the food & drink in Knight’s Bar. The bus you are referring to is the 130 and it is still running. It leaves from just outside the Castle (take a left at the end of the driveway) and will get you into the city in about 10-15 minutes. I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your time in Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2011

King Arthur and Gwenevier couldn't have had it better! Staying with my wife Stephanie at this fabulous castle for two nights was truly a magical dream come true. Everything about our stay this past June was so good. Arriving by rental car from the airport for an eight-day driving tour of Ireland, the Clontarf Castle was our first stop. We were enchanted by the Mediaval-looking gate house at the south end of the extensive castle grounds, the long and winding road past emeraldd green lawns bordered by beautiful flower gardens and majestic, old trees that lead up to the impressive-looking, baronial-style front entrance to the hotel. Through the huge front entry made of glass and past a couple of iron-clad sentinels in full knightly armour, we were awed by the luxurious lobby which featured a huge stone fireplace that rose at least 50 feet to the vaulted ceiling. Hotel staff at the check-in- desk were very courteous, friendly and prompt in booking us into our third floor room. they also gave us lots of useful information about the hotel's surroundings (e.g. the amazing Rose Garden in a nearby park) as well as about the local bus stop on Clontarf Road (on which we enjoyed riding into Downtown Dublin and back several times during our stay).

Our room was sumptuously appointed with a huge and very comfortable bed featuring a large wooden headboard with built-in mood lights for a special ambiance at night. The flat-screen TV/entertainment console was another surprise element that gave us instant access to lots of information about the services of this remarkable hotel as well as about Dublin itself. The ensuite bathroom with its amazing, glass shower enclosure was a delight. At the end of each busy day of exploring the delightful and intriguing sights of Dublin (e.g. the Guiness factory, the promenades along the Liffey River, the Ha'Penny pedestrian bridge, the Temple Bar "bohemian district, and the historic and sometimes tragic highlights of O'Connel Street) we slept like kings as there was no noise of traffic outside nor any disturbances from other nearby guest rooms or from outside the hotel.

Each morning we ate a scrumptious buffet breakfast in baronial style in the high-vaulted dining room. The selection of breakfast dishes was varied and delicious,complemented by the presence of a few very helpful staff who explained the varied choices avaiiable to the guests. Their discreet demeanor added to the relaxed yet classy atmosphere of the breakfast experience, perfectly in keeping with the overall superior ambiance of the Clontarf Castle.

If ever we're in Dublin again, this will be the place that we'll be sure to stay in..

Room Tip: Ask for a room with ambient lighting on the bed headboard if you'd like an unusual touch.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank curtiejoe
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We always aim to provide a great service here at Clontarf Castle Hotel in order to ensure our guests have the perfect stay, and I’m so glad to hear that we could do just that for you. It’s delightful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay here from the architecture, grounds and location of the hotel to the comfort of your room and the breakfast in Fahrenheit Grill. I thoroughly hope that you had the perfect stay in Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again sometime in the near future.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 September 2011

we decided to stay here towards the end of our vacation, we were originally going to stay in the city but im glad we changed our minds. this Irish castle is beautiful and has such a historic feel to it while at the same time being very modern. the staff were great in helping us with everything we needed.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the kind review. I’m so glad you had such an enjoyable stay with us here at the castle. I’m delighted that you were impressed with the beauty of the hotel and that our staff could provide you with the high standard of service we always aim to provide. I hope you will consider staying with us again on your next visit to Dublin.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2011

A bunch of us were here last week for a conference and had an amazing time! After the conference we had dinner in the lovely restaurant and later drinks in the lounge which was charming! I'd love to go back it's soooo relaxing!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank soozsh
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the lovely review. I’m delighted you had such a pleasant stay with us and had a chance to enjoy our Restaurant Fahrenheit Grill and Indigo Lounge. I hope that your conference was a huge success and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel anytime.