“A very special occasion tainted/destroyed by Hotel!!!!”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 21 April 2012

A special offer was advertised on website for this Hotel. I purchased the voucher in good faith and booked the hotel as a gift to my partner for there birthday. The date we booked for was booked well in advance and voucher details given to reservation team with booking confirmed, and was also the week we were getting married. I wanted this to be the start of a beautiful time in our lives. We traveled 3.5 hours and had stopped along the way in the city for some last minute shopping. We then arrived to hotel and to check in, where I was told I had to have the print off of voucher to check in. we had bags piled high in lobby and it was a busy time, in all my hurrying to get to hotel in time I'd forgotten voucher ( I also presumed having already made them booking and given voucher UNIQUE code that the print-off was not required). I showed Id and credit cards and unique booking code yet they still required voucher. The gentleman informed me i could use there computer to the side to print off. When I logged on it would not allow my email providers site - he knew nothing of this as he couldn't work computers........ his colleague stated we needed to print it off even though I had email on my phone and there computer wasn't accepting Hotmail!!! I inquired as she sat behind her desk ignoring us if there was another computer - there was over in a corner, I went to use it but it was pass-worded, I then returned and had to ask for it whilst being ignored again. At this stage it was over thirty minutes and all very embarrassing as my partner was just left there sat with all the bags in front of other guests! eventually printed it off and handed it to the very rude lady on the desk who didn't even acknowledge us or inform us which direction to get to room. We arrived to room it was quite a tight space, relatively clean.

We got changed quickly and headed downstairs to dine as this was part of package. The bar was full, we sat at bar where a nice waiter handed us menus we showed him vouchers and he went to speak to someone else behind bar where they stated that offer is OVER!!!(it wasn't it was inline with offer of voucher) left him there in front of us. He eventually found an old menu that was slightly destroyed and apologised. At this stage we were already late with everything that had occurred for a show in town. so we opted for something quick or so we taught. We ordered our food and waited over 40mins for it to arrive!!!! at which stage just before it arrived we stated we had to leave in 5mins. We ordered drinks whilst waiting. The food arrived and it was to late, what we received was not very appetizing and we also had to go to catch show!

We arrived back after an excellent show and decided we'd just have breakfast in bed the next morning rather than any of the hassle occurring like earlier that night. So we completed the docket and informed porter of breakfast choice. The breakfast arrived on time, however we'd already been awake for sometime as a member or members of staff had decided it would be a good time to empty glass bottles into bins directly outside our window early in the morning, banging constantly. We quickly ate our breakfast and decided we'd just leave - all in all not the sort of experience we were expecting and by far the worst experience we've ever had in a Hotel and this Hotel ain't cheap!!! For what they are charging and for the experience you expect to have in a Castle - You'd expect some 1st class CUSTOMER Service, don't think it exists in this Hotel - accept for the guy who took our order in the bar.

Do not waist your money or time in this Hotel.

Room Tip: Felt very cramped - staff member emptying glass bottles in bins early next morning for sometime!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrDC31

Reviewed 18 April 2012

My one condition of coming to Ireland was that we stay at least one night in a castle. Our travel agent let us choose between 5 different castles throughout the country, but I'm convinced we made the best choice. Lovely setting, the most comfortable bed of all of our stays, excellent breakfast and great atmosphere. We only left our room to eat, we loved it so much!

Stayed: September 2011
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the kind review. I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how impressed you were with everything especially the food, atmosphere and your room. I hope you had a terrific visit to Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle on your next visit.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

The reception area is breathtaking, a perfect combination of old castle and design hotel, the rooms are very well kept and spacious, some people might not like the fact that they are situated in the modern part of the hotel. We took advantage from the fact that they offered an early-bird two course dinner for two including a bottle of wine for only 50 €.one of the best deals we´ve had during our tour through Ireland. We liked the warm welcome of the staff and the cozy atmosphere at the open fire places.
We were aware of the fact that the hotel is not in the center of Dublin, but having rented a car this was no big deal for us. The sightseeing bus stops at the hotel in the morning, but the Dart station is quite far away to get to by foot.....
For the price we payed it was a great deal compared to other hotels in Ireland...
We are definitely coming back....

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the lovely review. I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us recently. It was especially nice to hear how impressed you were with the hotel’s décor and the service of our staff. I hope you had a truly memorable time in Dublin and hopefully we will get to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle again someday.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We just returned from our 12 day trip to Ireland. Dublin was our first stop and we stayed 2 nights at the Clontarf (with our two sons ages 8 and 3).

The hotel exceeded our expectations:
1. It had a lot of interesting decor and character - our children loved looking at the suits of armor, the paintings, the ornate furniture, etc.

2. Our room was very comfortable and large - plenty of room for our kids to spread out with their toys.

3. The breakfast, which we included in our package, was well done. No complaints from our kids, so that's a huge compliment.

4. Staff were unobtrusive and very happy to help with directions/tips when requested.

5. Free parking.

6. Easy walk through a lovely neighborhood to catch bus into town. Inexpensive, quick, and easy.

7. While we did not see other children at this hotel, it was definitely kid-friendly and we felt welcomed in all areas.

8. Lastly, the booking process for a family of 4 at the Clontarf was very clear and efficient (which I cannot say for most hotels in Ireland. Most required emails of inquiry and didn't clearly state if families of 4 would be permitted in one room).

This hotel suited us all - it was beautiful and the kids could run wild with their imaginations about kings, pirates, and more! Highly recommend. Very good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am so glad you and your family had such a great time staying with us recently. I was so delighted to hear how our hotel exceeded you expectations in a number of areas. I hope the rest of your visit to Ireland went just as smoothly and maybe someday soon we will have a chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed here in February 2012 with my boyfriend and we were extremely inpressed with the Castle. The hotel is simply stunning and our room was very spacious and beautifully decorated. We can't wait to go back for another visit!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the nice words. I was delighted to hear how impressed you were with our hotel during your stay and I hope to welcome you back again sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed here three days twice over this trip. Excellent food great atmosphere, rooms good and clean. Staff helpful and polite. Short cab ride from city centre, good selection of drinks, has a real castle tagged into the lobby :) pricing is exceptional value imho. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels in 35 years of travel rarely would I rate one 100% this one deserves it for an alround great delivery.

• Stayed: April 2012
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the lovely review. I am so glad you had such an enjoyable stay with us recently. I was delighted to hear how impressed you were with everything from the atmosphere & rooms to the food & drink and the service of our staff. I hope you had a truly memorable time with us and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I took my boyfriend to Dublin two weeks ago to celebrate his 30th Birthday. We stayed at the Clontarf Castle hotel. The hotel is simply stunning, we stayed in a suite and were very impressed with our room. The concierge were very hlepful and friendly. We will be going back at some point in the future!! Its only a short bus ride into Dublin City Centre from Clontarf too! Its a must visit!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the kind review. I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were so impressed with your room and our dedicated Concierge. I do hope you had a memorable stay and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time in the near future.