“Residential but good access to the city”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Illinois
“Residential but good access to the city”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Very unique hotel built around an old castle. You don't actually stay in the castle part but there are restaurants there. Rooms were very nice and staff was friendly and helpful. It is a little ways from downtown Dublin but there is a bus stop about 10 min walk away. Good location relative to the airport because you don't have to drive through the M50 toll.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. It’s great to hear that you felt the castle was so unique as this is one of the castle’s biggest appeals. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay, particularly in terms of liking the rooms and thinking that members of staff were helpful and friendly. We work hard to insure that this is always the case for our guests. Yes we are very conveniently located for our guests and the public transport available around the castle is excellent, with the number 130 bus going straight to the city centre every 10 minutes from the end of the hotels drive. Thanks again for your lovely review, we would love to welcome you back again some day.

Mark Long

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Centereach, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I spend two nights at the Clontarf Castle after my cousins wedding and the hotel went above and beyond to make every guest those two evening feel welcomed. The check in process was extremely fast given the number of guests that were checking in at the same time time, the wait was not long at all.

The staff at the Clontarf Castle were extremely friendly especially Eric from reception and the bartender from Indigo. The rooms were nice and clean and there was free wi-fi in the room for no extra charge. The breakfast was wonderful, it consisted of sausages, breads, cereals, fruits, yogurts, coffee, tea, or juice.

The hotel is a short walk to the bus station which will take you into the heart of Dublin. The grounds of the hotel are absolutely breath taking. I would deffinately recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Dublin

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the wedding. I'm delighted with your comments, our staff, food and rooms are areas that are often praised by guests here at the castle. We aim to please in these areas so I'm happy you felt they were to such a high standard.

Yes the castle is just a short walk to the bus stop which takes guests into the heart of Dublin. A bus leaves every few minutes so it's very handy for our guests. Thank you for your comment about the grounds of the castle, a huge effort goes into maintaining them so I'm delighted with your praise for them. We hope to welcome you back again if you return to Dublin.

Burlington
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We just came back from a 2 night stay at the Clontarf Castle. We had some problems at check-in (we were there after 2 p.m.) when our rooms were not ready and there were other problems which I know can happen anywhere. As it ended up, they gave my sons an upgraded room and offered us an upgraded room at the very back corner of the hotel, furthest possible room from the elevator, on a completely different floor from our kids, and the room had 2 double beds. He did offer to change the room if I didn't like it (and I didn't) so we ended up with a room that was not upgraded and seemed actually a bit run down. It had not been vacuumed as I saw crumbs on the floor and the carpet had many stains on it. To make it worse it did not have a bath tub. I have to say that the gentleman at the reception area was doing what he could to try to make us happy but overall our experience at this hotel was not the best. When you first drive up to the hotel is was kind of cool but it was definitely a mixture of old "castle" and regular hotel. It was definitely not a true "castle" experience by any means. The hotel was also about a 15 min. or so drive from the downtown streets of Dublin so we had to cab it all the time. I had done some research before booking the hotel and some people said that you don't want to be right downtown as it can get noisy with all the bars and restaurants but if we were to go back to Dublin I would definitely stay in the heart of the downtown like off of Grafton St. Depending on what you want to do in Dublin but if you like to shop or go to pubs etc. than staying in the heart is what I would recommend. I found that the Clontarf seemed to be filled with senior citizens.

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I apologise for the issues you experienced during your check in, unfortunately such issues can occur during busy times. I’m glad to hear that reception staff offered you and your sons upgraded rooms to make up for any inconvenience caused to you and I’m glad you found reception staff to be helpful. I have also passed on your comments about your room to our housekeeping manager.
I’m sorry to hear that you don’t feel you had a castle experience. We aim to offer our guests an experience that is a blend of a castle and a luxury experience. Clontarf Castle Hotel is a mix of a boutique and luxury hotel with a modern aesthetic built around an ancient form and was designed with the comfort of guests in mind. In terms of location, we are outside the city however there are excellent public transport options available to our guests including the number 130 bus which leaves the end of the castle drive every few minutes and goes straight to the city centre. In that sense, we aim to offer the best of both worlds to our guests. In terms of the demographics of our guests, we absolutely welcome senior citizens, however we cater to everyone and have varying demographics staying with us such as families, young couples and groups.
Thank you again for you review, all feedback is welcome and provides us with food for thought.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The Clontarf Castle Hotel is located in a mainly residential part of Dublin. We stayed as tourists but I would say this is more of a wedding hotel than a tourist one. We were kept awake until the early hours with drunken wedding guests starting parties outside our room. Transport, taxi/bus/Dart, needed to get into the City.

Many parts of the hotel in need of a bit of TLC. From the outside and entrance one gets a great view and good initial impressions of the building. On closer inspection carpets need replaced and upholstery is in need of attention.

Rooms are clean and have what you need to get by. Could do with Wi-Fi in the rooms. Internet available, only as part of the rooms entertainment system at an extra cost.

We only had breakfast in the hotel, which wasn’t great when compared to other 4 star hotels I’ve stayed in.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, your feedback is important to us. We are located outside the city however we aim to offer our guests the best of both worlds – a luxury castle hotel experience in peaceful surroundings with excellent public transport options available. I apologise for any noise that kept you awake during a wedding at the hotel and I will pass your comments on to our night manager.
I’m sorry to hear that you felt that some areas of the hotel could do with upgrading, we do make every effort to maintain the standard of the hotel, however your comments will definitely be taken on board and this is something we will look into. I’m also sorry to hear about the Wi-Fi in your room, we offer Wi-Fi in rooms complementary to all our guests. I apologise as there must have been a poor signal in your room and this is definitely something I will look into. I’m surprised to hear you weren’t taken with our breakfast as this is something we often get good feedback about, however although we do offer an extensive range of hot and cold options, we are aware that everyone has different tastes so I apologise that we didn’t exceed your expectations.
On a positive note, I’m delighted to hear you were impressed with the exterior view of the castle and that you found your room to be clean. Thanks again for your review, we take all feedback very seriously.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at the castle and I still love it. The service is exceptional, the staff is freindly and helpful, and the food and drinks are outstanding. Its just a beautiful property and I look forward to staying here again when I return to Ireland.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep with the windows open(which I do) choose or request a room that doesnt overlook...
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your second stay at the castle and that you plan to return to us again in the future. I’m delighted with your comments regarding our service and our food and drinks options. These are areas we are complemented on quite a lot as they are some of our top priorities. I’m also glad to hear that you felt the property itself is beautiful. The castle has a modern, luxurious aesthetic while still being true to its original features and it was designed with our guests experience in mind. There is a constant effort made to take care of the property and its grounds so I’m very glad you liked it. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the castle soon.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We arrived very late in the evening after just a ten minute journey in the taxi from the airprt and still received a lovely welcome, we were sent to a room in 400's which had a magnificent view over dublin bay and still managed to get a drink in the bar. The hotel itself is stunning and the room we had was spotless and the extra touches were perfect. For the price we paid we had beakfast included and I wasn't expecting such a memorable stay, the food was lovely, the staff were friendly, and I would thoroughly recommend a look if you are planning a stay in Dublin, yes it is outside the centre but for 10 euros by taxi or a couple of euros for the bus, you can get into the heart of the city having stayed at one of the better hotels Dublin has to offer. Thank you so much Clontarf!

Room Tip: Room 420 was perfect for couples.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I’m delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay while you were here. Our food and our staff often get praised, these are areas we take great pride in and we want to offer our guests the highest standards possible. I’m also really glad that you were so taken with the location of the hotel, we are outside the city centre but with such great public transport options available to our guests, we believe they get the best of both worlds. Thank you very much again for your kind review.

Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Impressive from the outside, very nice on the inside. Not a particularly handy location but great for at least a one-night castle stay. The rooms were very nice and quiet. Breakfast buffet was very good and rooms had free Wi-Fi available.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. Sorry you felt the location was not handy, however we are only a 10 minute taxi ride to the city centre, 20ms from Dublin airport, plus there is a very regular bus service from the end of drive that bring you straight into the city.
I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet; we do get a lot of positive feed back about breakfast as we offer an extensive hot and cold buffet. I’m also glad that the location and facilities within the hotel impressed you. With regards to wifi, we have just installed a newer system with higher download speeds and of course it is complimentary to all our guests. We hope to welcome you back soon.