“lovely and relaxing”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I booked this for my boyfriend who has always wanted to stay in a castle and this place was a perfect compromise. The exterior absolutely beautiful and the interior is modernized and has some knight themed decorations. The room itself what somewhat small, but average size for European hotels (or perhaps our beds were just that big). The room had wifi, tv, and a minifridge; it was perfect for a relaxing weekend. The hotel is a bit far from the city center though (you'd need to take the bus or a cab), but I loved the location, it was in a cute suburb and we got to explore the local pubs. The Clontarf castle was perfect for relaxing after a long train+plane ride, we didn't even want to go to the city center, we'd rather stay and relax in our room. The staff were extremely nice and accommodating, and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: If you're looking for places to eat definitely go to the Beachcombers, it's cheaper than the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. I was delighted to read that you and your boyfriend had such a good stay with us and that you can't wait to come back to visit us again. We would love to welcome you both back. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

There are newer reviews for Clontarf Castle Hotel

Reviewed 9 May 2013

First trip to Ireland.

Short notice on planning required quick online research to find reasonably priced and quality accommodations.

The castle was perfect and will stay there every time I return to Ireland.
Easy access 20 minute drive from airport
Short walk to public transport
The history of the main castle has been perfectly maintained, the interior stone and décor suited the venue.
The rooms were fantastic, spacious and modernly appointed with luxury, high end finishes. Hi- tech TV system and good Hi speed Wifi.
Staff was fantastic, restaurants and lounges offered good variety and great service.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm delighted you were happy with your stay and with all the hotels facilities. It's also great to read that you plan on returning to stay with us in the future when you return to Ireland. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

..I say little because our room was little, but had everything you would need and more for a couple. Ten of us stayed to celebrate a Birthday so had the opportunity to check out a few rooms..each one was uniquely designed. Great atmosphere with a lively bar .We finished the stay with a lovely stroll on the sea front only minutes from the Hotel. Perfect short break!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. It's lovely to hear from a guest who stayed with us as part of a group. I'm really happy with your feedback, it sounds like you had a lovely stay. Thanks again for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, we really appreciate it and would love to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

I spent a weekend at the castle, such a great old and middle age atmosphere but with all the conmforts you ask from a top class hotel. Good food and bars quiet place just next to a golf course if you like this sport. A classy and romantic place just outside downtown

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm really happy that you liked the castle so much and had such a nice stay with us. We'd be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in the future if you return to Dublin. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed from Thursday to Sunday. The Clontarf is in a residential area and close to the river. We had a really good time. Great welcome from the reception staff and the restaurant and bar staff were very efficient and friendly. Room was described as deluxe, slightly exaggerated but nice. It overlooked the loading bay and was a bit noisy in the morning but we got used to it as it didn't last long. Reception did have the wow factor - suits of armour and large fireplace etc - you'll just have to go and see for yourself...... Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We were at the back on the second floor, slightly noisy in the morning. Bus or taxi to Dublin city...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I'm really happy with your feedback and it's great to read that you had a nice stay. However you do have my sincere apologies if the noise caused you any inconvenience, we do try to insure that these kind of essential tasks are done quickly with as little disruption to guests as possible. I'm delighted to read that you will definitely stay again, we'd love to welcome you back to the castle.

Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

Every review here raves about Clontarf Castle so I arrived with the very highest expectations but I'm afraid I found it average.
I booked a standard room but immediately asked to be moved, the carpet looked like it had been thrown down in 10 minutes, bunched up around furniture and gripper rods left exposed by the bedside cabinets. You'd find better fitting in a budget hotel to be honest. The hotel was very busy all weekend with a wedding and a conference, to be fair the reception staff were very good and offered me a much better room. I had no problem paying an extra charge per night, no doubt much less than the going rate for the superior rooms.
The Indigo bar was closed for a private function on the Sat, wish I'd known to expect that. Perhaps that's standard when the Castle is booked for a wedding or a conference though, so maybe that was just bad luck.
I did eventually try the food in the bar and thought it was ok. I did find it strange that when the bar staff shift ends the bill was brought to the table even though I wasnt finished and the bar wasn't closing. Maybe that's just a personal thing though that others wouldn't mind.
I find that sometimes hotels are a victim of their own success on trip advisor, it would be a great hotel for a wedding, but personally I hoped for more. When considering this hotel it would be easy to get distracted by the impressive castle aspects of the building but definitely pay extra for the superior rooms and don't have 5 star expectations.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Leftturnclyde
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I'm disappointed to read that you weren't as impressed with your stay at the castle as you thought you would be. We do get a lot of excellent reviews on TripAdvisor from our guests who we love to get feedback from. However, everyone has the right to have an opinion and we completely take yours on board. You have my sincere apologies that your experience wasn't as good as it could have been. We really appreciate your feedback and we'd be happy to welcome you back in the future if you'd like to give us another go.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

If you do not mind staying just outside Dublin this place is wonderful. The decor is outstanding and the staff very helpful and friendly. There is a bus stop to the side of the hotel which takes you into Dublin's City Center or the Hop on Hop off bus stops every morning at 9:00 outside the hotel. The food is quite good and the Knight's Bar is very popular with the locals especially for their carver's lunch. If you want to visit Malahide Castle and do not have a car you can walk 15-20 minutes to the local DART station and ride to Malahide in about 20 minutes.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Girlgolfpro

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your review. I was delighted to read your review, it looks like you had a lovely stay. I'm glad you tried out the hop-on, hop-off bus, our guests seem to really enjoy this. Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be happy to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.