“bah humbug”

Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“bah humbug”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was at this Hotel last Friday(13/12) for the Company Christmas work outing. As it happened it was an extremely busy night with many other Companies also having their work outings here. The Bar Service was terrible, admittedly the Staff were rushed off their feet but I (and many others) had to go to the Bar myself after waiting almost three quarters of an hour for a round of drinks which never arrived. Whatever about that given the time of year etc, the actual Christmas Dinner arrived minus one course (the salad), the Dinner consisted of "Turkey and Ham", no Roast Potatoes or Sprouts, just Carrots and Turnip. All in all, a very disappointing meal with very poor service indeed. Would not recommend this for any Work related outing and would not use this Hotel again myself.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank beatle901
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused to you. I was very disappointed to read your comments as the feedback we have received has overall been very positive. Please could you contact me at your own convenience or email me your phone number and would be more than happy to discuss this with you further. My number is 01 8332321 and my email is mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Many thanks again for your feedback.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Co Clare Ireland
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Had the opportunity to stay in Clontarf Castle once again for an overnight recently.
Staff are friendly and willing to go the extra mile. Room was excellent with a huge luxurious bed with plush pillows. Breakfast had ample choice of fresh fruits, pastries, and of course the hot buffet breakfast. The hotel boasts a wonderful atmosphere combining the old castle with contemporary style while never losing it's charm.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I really enjoyed reading your review, it's great to get feedback from a return guest. I'm delighted you find the staff to be so professional as we aim to achieve excellent standards in customer service. Many thanks again for your lovely feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed at the Clontarf Castle lots of times, twice within the last month and will return again soon. Slight hiccup re room but sorted quickly and professionally with Ciara at reception! Love this Hotel, free parking and friendly staff! Keep it up please!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. We love hearing from return guests and I'm delighted that your feedback is so positive. I'm glad you found the staff to be so professional as we aim to achieve excellent customer service standards. Many thanks again for your feedback on your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel, we really appreciate it. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again very soon.

Dungannon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My Wife and I stayed here for the first night of our Honeymoon before flying out of Dublin Airport the next day. I had done my research and got a good deal; and I was very impressed. As arrival I loved the big entrance gates and the theme which was continued throughout the hotel. The room was very spacious; richly decorated and we were welcomed with a bottle of champagne in the room. We had dinner included in the stay and it was of the high standard you would expect. The restaurant was dimly lit and we enjoyed the romantic surroundings. The staff were all pleasant and very helpful; and it was the stress free; relaxing evening we both wanted.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel and thank you for choosing to stay at the castle as part of your honeymoon. I was delighted to read that the castle provided such a relaxing and romantic setting for your special trip. Many thanks again for your feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience at Clontarf Castle Hotel and we would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

ireland
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Reading reviews of this hotel, and reading their own website, i expected more from this hotel.. most disappointing was the information that hotel is located only 10 mins from city center... by bus its actually 30 mins! and this route gets very busy, so stops at all stops, and bus can get jam packed. so for a 2 day break we spent 4 hours on the bus, which took the gloss off break. also, the lights didn't work in our room every single time we turned them on.. seems card swipe device was faulty.. even member of staff couldn't get it to work.. he just did as we had, jiggled card about until it powered. also , there seemed to be kids left unattended in room beside us as they were running in and out of room in the early night playing some game, i knew this as its possible to hear every single conversation in hall while in the room with door closed.. very disappointing..but very comfy bed i have to say! For functions it may be good, but can only talk about my experience of short city stay, and have to state never again.. much better options and value for money in the city center itself.. this boy wont be back in this part of town again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lizzylive
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was very disappointed to read that your stay at the castle was not what you expected. Regarding our location, we are approximately a 10 minute drive from the city centre. Bus journeys can be longer as they take different routes with many stops in order to accommodate more people. You have my sincere apologies for the issue with the lights in your room, I will investigate this personally. I'm also very sorry that you were disturbed by other guests. We always recommend that guests tell a member of staff about any disturbance as it is occurring so we can deal with this. Many thanks again for your feedback, we take it on board and it provides us with food for thought.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Here's an honest review:

The staff were mostly great. The Irish Asian chap on day reception was so so helpful. An absolute credit to your team. The bar staff were all lovely; we turned up at about midnight one night and one guy poured us a few drinks (I don't think he had to) and said reception would sort us out if we wanted any more. Breakfast staff explained the menu each day and were very accomodating. The only staff member who was a misery guts was an eastern European guy (maybe Romanian) on the night shift at reception who was rude to his fellow staff and lacked warmth to guests. Shame how one guy can stick in your memory when everyone else was so good. Get rid of him and you've got a winning team!

We had planned on dining in the restaurant one evening but were disappointed that there was a function going on. Instead we went out to a local restaurant but we would have liked to have at least tried it.

The hotel is beautiful. Our room was nice. Slight shame that the four-poster lacked fabric draped from the posts, but it was lovely nonetheless. The bathroom could have done with a bit more light above the mirror.

Overall I'd be clutching at straws to say it was anything other than beautiful. The native (Irish/Irish Asian) staff were universally lovely. This is a good hotel that is about 10 mins drive from Dublin and very close to the o2 (which we visited for a concert). Happy days!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted that you found staff at the hotel to be so efficient and professional. You have my sincere apologies that there was one exception and I can assure you that I will investigate this personally. I'm glad you had such a great stay overall. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We would be very happy to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again soon.

Cork
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed in clontarf castle for two nights. On arrival, checking was prompt and efficient, and we were in our rooms in less than five minutes. Our room was not huge but adequate for our needs and every item was spotless. We ate in the hotel bar which had a great warm atmosphere, helped by huge open fires. The food was good value for money, and obviously well known by locals as it was extremely busy on both nights of our stay. Checkout was prompt with no mistakes on our bill. We will be back. Only small issue was that our room was quite warm during the night, but as it is a castle, this can only be expected as the big stone walls retain their heat, acting like a storage heater. This is not a complaint .

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ben B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that your experience with staff at the hotel was very efficient and professional. We aim to achieve excellent service standards so it's great that you experienced this. I'm also glad you enjoyed your meal in Knights Bar and found it to be such good value for money. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. I'm delighted to read that you will be returning to stay at the castle again in the future