“Our stay at Clontarf”

Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Columbus, Wisconsin
“Our stay at Clontarf”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We hade an amazing stay. Loved the hotel and staff. The only complaint I would have is the shower in our room was so small I had to open the door to wash my hair. Very minor. Food and drinks at the hotel were great, so no need to go out after a long day. Taking the bus was a few blocks away, but not horrible.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or spa If that is a must for you, which it's not for us
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jdenewellis
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read that you were so impressed with your stay at the hotel. I'm delighted you loved the staff and the food and drink at the castle. I'm also pleased you liked your room, however I am very sorry about your issue with the shower, I will look in to this. Many thanks again for your feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to the area.

Mark Long

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed at Clontarf Castle while on a family vacation to Ireland. I found the accommodations to be less than comfortable. Clontarf Castle has a four-star facade, but the accommodations are no better than a lowly two-star hotel. Definitely room for improvement.

The hotel has a regal appearance. When you pull up to the hotel you immediately notice the unique castle-like appearance and tuxedo-wearing doormen. The stroll to the front desk reveals a small, but plush sitting area that showcases a large stone fireplace with a warm, inviting fire.

Given the beautifully luxurious common spaces I expected our rooms to have a similarly elegant appearance. Wrong. Our rooms were small, and decorated in a manner more consistent with a Days Inn than a fine, luxury hotel.

We had two rooms, each with two single beds. The beds were springy and uncomfortable. The furniture was chunky and lacked function. The bathroom was small, and spartan. To make matters worse, the walls provided little sound insulation. We could clearly hear conversations from the adjoining rooms and from the hallway. The wifi signal did not reach to the hotel rooms, so we had no internet service. If you needed access to the internet, you had to sit in the lobby. Very inconvenient.

The evening we arrived at the hotel there was party being hosted in the hotel's ballroom. This event created a terrible parking problem. The hotel has no valet service, so I was forced to circle the parking lot for more than an hour trying to find a place to park. The doorman was clearly embarrassed, but could do little to assist me. I am not from Ireland so I do not know the local parking rules. Moreover, as a guest of the hotel, I should not have to park several blocks away.

We got a decent nightly rate for our rooms, which is why I have rated Clontarf Castle as a "average", but I will not be a return guest. The rooms do not offer the quiet and comfort that I seek when traveling. For me, free wifi is a must-have, and there is no excuse for a fine hotel lacking this service. It is a shame that the proprietors of this hotel have wasted the opportunity to create a truly unique hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank STP1606
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I really appreciate your honest feedback, all your comments provide us with food for thought. You have my sincere apologies for the lack of parking on one of the nights of your stay. We are a very popular hotel that can get busy at times, however we do our utmost to ensure that our service standards are not negatively affected by this. I am also very sorry that the WiFi signal was poor in your room. Thank you for highlighting this, it is an unusual issue and I will be investigating it further. We would welcome the opportunity to change your opinion. If you would like to discuss your experience further please don't hesitate to contact me on 35318332321 or email mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Many thanks again for your feedback.

Dublin
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Planned this for a while. Emailed the hotel directly because the suite rooms are not on the online booking system. Ciara dealt with the several emails quickly.

Arrived at 2pm on Sunday. Raining and cold outside. Inside was warm and cosy.
Happy already. First impressions and all that.
Walked upto reception and gave my name. Good afternoon Mr. ...
Out of habit, I offered my driving licence and credit card to book in.
She handed back my licence - 'we don't need that Sir' I was told.
Ahh.. its that type of hotel. The type of hotel who trust a guest somewhat.

I don't like small rooms or feeling crammed in. So I booked the King Suite.
At €259 including breakfast for the two of us, some people might think that is expensive.
I disagree. You pay for what you get. I am sure some of the other rooms in the hotel are cheaper and smaller. They are called standard rooms.

If you like style, exceeding comfort, a seperate sleeping area, eating area, sitting area and lounge area - then that price is not expensive.
Bathroom was plenty big and had a seperate shower and a rolltop cast iron bath.
All the chrome fittings were spotlessly clean.
The 4 poster bed was sturdy and very comfortable.
A/C was controlled independently in the room and worked very well.
All the usual trimmings were also dotted around the room - mini bar, iron, tea making, notepads, very techy phone, 2 tv's with onscreen demand programming.
Decor was modern and very tastefully done. Room had the biggest mirror I have ever seen in a hotel bedroom.
The 4 velux windows let plenty of light in and each had its own blackout blind for those who don't like early starts.

We went out for dinner to Picassos (Italian) on Vernon Avenue, which is practically down the road and around the corner.
There are 4 places to eat no further than 3/4 of a mile away. After that you could go to Howth or Fairview to seek out more places. So no 'forced' eating in due to lack of choice.

Returning to the hotel later we had a few drinks in the Knights Bar. Staff there were quick to serve and polite. They also serve food until 9.30 which we couldn't resist after seeing everyone around us nibbling away at various things.
We got a Guiness stew pie and a chicken wrap, both of which were scoffed surprisingly quick for two people who ate a big dinner a few hours ago.

Long day so we headed to the room.
We ordered breakfast to the room between 9 and 9.30. Knock with breakfast was at 9.05.
The very well dressed gentleman left it on the table quietly as herself was still asleep and went quickly. Breakfast was exactly as ordered.

All in all, a very comfortable hotel with well dressed and polite staff.

Driving out of the grounds herself of course inquired...
'So..... when are we coming back here again'?

Room Tip: Website photos are very accurate - pick what you want to spend
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Roamer808
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read your feedback, it sounds like you had a lovely stay at the hotel. I'm very glad that your experience with staff at every stage of your stay was so efficient and that you were so impressed with the food and accommodation at the castle. Many thanks again for your feedback, we appreciate it and would love to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future.

Ville D'Avray, France
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

One of the only hotels open christmas eve and day! Hotel really had the best christmas spirit, events and ambiance.
Was a terrific experience! Santa claus visit christmas day definitely made our kids holiday!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. It's great to hear from a guest who stayed with us over Christmas. I'm delighted you were impressed with all the festivities at the castle. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

Springville PA
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Great hotel (but small rooms) but not if you're looking for having wifi in your room, doesn't exist. Not even in the bar. Only in the lobby and better keep your coat on, it's cold there.
The hotel is definitely not up to American standards. And it is in a residential neighborhood, you're forced to eat in their restaurant.

Room Tip: Don't know if they have suits
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank HENDRIKA V
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was very disappointed to read that the hotels wifi was not working in your room or the bar. I can assure you that our wifi does work in public areas and the reception in the majority of rooms is also excellent, so I will be personally investigating this issue. In relation to our location I was surprised to read that you feel guests are forced to eat in the hotel, we are very close to Clontarf which has many lovely restaurants and we are also only a few miles from Dublin city centre where there are a vast number options for our guests. Many thanks again for your feedback on your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel, it provides us with food for thought and we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us.

Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Hi my wife and i stayed in this hotel on our wedding night as we were flying from dublin to mexico the following morning....as we arrived the receptionist upgraded us to the top suite....which was amazing.....this place is like no other hotel we have been to....we were just amazed as we walked the the gates of this property....we could not fault this hotel at all....we are actually returning in april for our aniversary....i would highy recommend this hotel to anyone....and is reasonably priced

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aidy c
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was so pleased to read you had such a lovely stay at the castle, particularly as it was your wedding night. I'm delighted our staff ensured you had a lovely room for your special night. Many thanks again for your feedback of your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the castle very soon for your anniversary.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The vacation of our dreams would not have been complete without our 2 night stay at the Clontarf Castle Hotel. This was our first overseas vacation that was long in the planning. WE could not have felt more special and welcomed than when we set foot into the Clondarf for a 2 night stay. We were welcomed with a friendly receptionist who gave us all of the information we needed to make the most of our 2 day stay in Dublin. I cannot say enough good about our experience---we were in "awe" the entire time.. Our room was fantastic--a huge bathroom---a wonderful and comfortable bed and a window that opened up to allow us to hear the "rain" coming down, along with a great view. Yes, it rained and drizzled our two days there--we were able to get out and do things, and then come back to the welcoming peaceful atmosphere of the Clondarf. The breakfast was outstanding, with a multitude of cheeses, fruits, cereals, jams, jellies before one ordered their actual breakfast. The staff were absolutely the best and I couldn't have felt more special. I appreciate the fact that I can say I have stayed here---it was a wonderful experience and hope I can make it back to this great place again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was so delighted to read all your lovely comments. It really sounds like you enjoyed your stay at the castle and I'm so glad it made your overseas trip so special. I'm pleased you were so impressed with your accommodation, the food at the castle and all the staff. I'll be sure to pass all your comments on to all the staff.
Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to have you back at Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future if you return to Dublin.