“Clontarf castle” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clontarf Castle Hotel

Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
“Clontarf castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed her last year , it's a really nice hotel well worth the stay if ever in Dublin love the open fire in the reception, sitting with a nice cold drink , rooms are nice and cosy and restaurants are out off this world
Thanks for the great stay

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had such a great stay at the castle, particularly that you were so impressed with our restaurants. I'll be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all the staff here at the hotel. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us and we would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Clontarf castle for a wedding on New Year's Eve. The ambiance within the castle was superb & the staff & service was good overall. The meal at the wedding was really enjoyable. Our room was booked on our behalf, a standard room. The room had every amenity but was compact to say the least. A fold up bed was put in for our daughter which meant you couldn't walk around the bed space was so tight & I ended up climbing into bed from the foot of the bed. That said the overnight stay was comfortable. I was utterly disappointed with the breakfast room & the choice available. The room itself was lovely, but cluttered with tables & chairs everywhere leaving little space & certainly no access for anyone in a wheelchair. For the class of hotel I was also disappointed with the choice at breakfast, limited, a small choice of everything. The hotel itself is in a great location near the seafront & a bus/train ride from the city centre. A pleasant stay but unfortunately it didn't leave me wowed, there are better castles.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Mauve
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the wedding you attended at the castle on New Years Eve and that you found the food and service to be to such a high standard. I was sorry to read that you felt your room was quite cramped with the extra bed you needed. You have my sincere apologies that you found our restaurant to be so cramped the following morning and that you were not impressed with selection of food for breakfast. New Years Eve was a very busy night in the hotel, however this should not have negatively impacted on the service standards of breakfast the following morning. I can assure you that I will look in to this issue. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

An imaginative hotel built around the ruins of an old castle with sympathetically restored elevations. Comfortable accommodation and attentive staff although some of the visitors had egos the size of Dublin.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front which have a better outlook despite the car park
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read that you liked the design of the castle. I'm also glad you found the accommodation to be so comfortable and that staff were attentive. We aim to achieve excellent standards in customer service so I'm very pleased you experienced this. Many thanks again for your feedback on your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to Dublin in the future.

louth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last night with my husband and I was very impressed! The hotel looks beautiful when you arrive and the reception and lobby area are stunning. We booked as part of a deal rush offer so we paid €99 for a deluxe room with welcome drink, breakfast, bottle of wine with dinner and a late check out of 2pm. This turned out to be brilliant value. We stayed in room 217 on the 2nd floor. The room was lovely. Bright and modern and spotlessly clean. The bed was huge and really comfy. It had all the essentials, a mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities, trouser press, iron and ironing board, hair dryer and toiletries in the bathroom.
We had some afternoon drinks in the knights bar. It was very busy with lots of people eating. The food looked very nice although we didn't eat there. We then got changed and went to have a few drinks in the indigo lounge, the hotels other bar but unfortunately it was booked for a private function so we couldn't go in which was disappointing on a Saturday evening. We ate in the Fahrenheit restaurant. They didn't have a record of my booking but the restaurant wasn't full so it wasn't a problem. The food was lovely. Everything was very fresh and well cooked but the menu is very limited with very few choices. There seemed to be more on the bar menu. We had breakfast this morning which was fab. All in all I had a lovely stay. The hotel is great and I'd definately reccomend it and return again myself sometime.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kittycatLouth
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you were so impressed with the castle. It's great to get feedback from a guest who stayed with us on a Dealrush break, I'm very pleased that you were happy with your stay and feel you got such good value for money. I was sorry to read that you found the restaurant menu was limited, perhaps you were on a package menu as part of your deal which is different from our A Lá Carte menu. However I'm glad that you enjoyed your meal. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. Thank you for your kind recommendation and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

The hotel, housed in an old castle but boasting all the modern amenities, is charming, comfortable and elegant. The staff go out of the way to help, all one has got to do is ask. The city is a 45 min walk or a very affordable EUR 10 taxi ride away. The food at the restaurant is very good both in taste and value.

So, why am I not giving this hotel the 5 stars that it deserves? It is the mini bar - the hotel has one of those annoying mini bars that have pre-designated slots and charge you if you take anything out. I hardly ever have anything from the mini bar but usually like to have a fridge to store some fruit for healthy snacking, some wine, etc but can't if there is one of these annoying mini bars. Having one of these tells the guest "we don't trust you" and this goes against the image that Clontarf Castle otherwise portrays as it obviously aspires to be a classy hotel catering to a premium market.

To be fair, when I asked at Reception, they did offer to store my fruit and wine in their kitchen fridge but that was not really a solution for snacking or drinking at pleasure.

If you do not have an issue with the mini bar, I would definitely recommend this hotel but I am opposed to it in principle for the reasons described above.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stylish_30
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was really pleased to read that you found the castle to be so beautiful. I was also really glad you were impressed with the staff and the service, as well as your meals. These are areas that we are often complimented on by our guests so it's great that you were also impressed. I'm very sorry that you didn't like our in-room minibars and that this negatively impacted your stay with us. I was pleased to read that a member of staff offered you a solution to this problem, you have my apologies that this wasn't suitable for you. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. Thank you for your kind recommendation, we would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to Dublin.

Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

A old Irish castle has been renovated with a hotel attached on the side, its a beautiful piece of design.

The rooms are all modern but WIFI can be a bit ropy due to the thickness of the walls.

I ate in the bar which was a bit cold and did not have the character of the hotel, also the table was very low. Also the quality of the food was poor and very "chain hotel". I suspect my food was little more than microwaved.

I think they have other restaurants but is such a big place and signage is poor.

Breakfast was good, but again took me a while to find where it was being served.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank zoomzoomboyuk
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was glad to read you liked the design of the castle. I was sorry to read that you weren't very impressed with the quality of food. This is very surprising as our meals are all make with very high quality ingredients and are often complimented by our guests. You have my sincere apologies that your meal wasn't satisfactory. I'll be sure to look into this issue as well as the poor WiFi signal in your room. Many thanks again for your feedback of Clontarf Castle Hotel. We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us and we would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future if you return to the area.

Jacksonville, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here as well as another hotel during our vacation to Ireland (and our very first trip out of the country). Although it was a nice stay and a nice hotel, it was pretty frustrating traveling from America to there and having to wait a few hours before they would allow us to check-in to our room. Partly bad planning on our end, but we had such severe jet-lag from the very long flight we were desperate to take a nap as soon as we arrived. I think I recall dozing off in one of the chairs in their lobby while they seemingly where in no hurry to get us into our room any quicker than normal check in times. Would not visit this hotel again based on that experience.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JulieandAdam2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was pleased to read that you had a nice stay and that you liked the castle itself. However I was very disappointed that you felt like members of our front desk staff were not very accommodating. I understand that you were extremely jet lagged and that waiting to be checked in was not ideal in your situation. I'm sincerely sorry for this and I can assure you that I will look in to this issue. I suspect that our front desk staff couldn't check you in early as they were waiting for guests to check out for rooms to be available and following this our Housekeeping team would have to ensure that the room was clean before you could check in. I'm very sorry that this was an inconvenience for you. If you request an early check in when booking our team always do their best to accommodate this as they know the details of your situation. Many thanks again for your feedback on Clontarf Castle Hotel, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us.