“Not what it should have been”

Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin
“Not what it should have been”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I had really wanted to give this a positive review but the couple of issues that I encountered really put a bad taste in my mouth.
Overall the room was nice. A little on the smallish side but clean and well stocked. In my mind there was too much furniture in the room which made it feel a little cluttered at times. The shower felt a little cramped but had great pressure. The negative on the bed was that the sheets felt a little over starched. For this type of setting I would have expected a smoother feel to the bedding.
Biggest grumble I had was that I was a guest at a wedding and housekeeping came in the next morning to clean the room a little before 8am and got a half hearted apology when checking out that it shouldn’t have happened. Being a parent to a young child I was looking forward to waking up naturally which obviously didn’t happen by them barging in the room at that time.
The evening meal was faultless, served promptly, well presented and tasted well.
Breakfast the next morning was nice. Decent layout and enough to keep everyone happy. I would recommend that for the fruit and yoghurt compote they replace the muesli with granola to provide the crunch it so badly needed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Scoopy_1
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that you were quite unimpressed with your bedroom size and some of its features. You have my sincere apologies that you were disturbed by housekeeping, I can assure you that this is not reflective of our usual standard and I will personally investigate this. If you would like to discuss your experience with me further please contact me at your earliest convenience on 01 8332321 or email mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was my first time staying in Clontarf Castle and I was very happy with my stay. I was accompanying my wife, who was attending a conference there and we decided to make a weekend of it. The common areas of the hotel are very nice with original parts of the castle blending well with the newer parts of the hotel. There are plenty of little nooks where you can sit and enjoy a coffee (or maybe something a little stronger) in relative privacy. The Knights Bar is also very nice and the food is tasty, well portioned and reasonably priced. Our room itself was very comfortable and as it was on the 4th floor was reasonably quiet considering there were 2 weddings and a private function being held during our stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning on staying in Dublin. It is a little out of the City itself however, so taxis would be required if you were planning on a night out in Temple Bar or Malahide (roughly €20-25).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you and your wife had such an enjoyable weekend at the castle and that you liked the food and the facilities. It’s also great that you had such a peaceful stay even though there were a number of events at the castle. We always strive to ensure that our guests are not negatively impacted other events during their stay.
Thanks again for your feedback and for your kind recommendation. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to the team. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here in April and it was okay. The pub food was good. There was a previous review about the difficulty in working in the room. I would like to add that we were in the middle of a two week trip and so had two large suitcases - it is almost impossible to maneuver in the room with them. The sound proofing between the rooms where there are unused adjoining rooms (doors are closed) is nonexistent. I could hear the conversation in the next room perfectly and it was a normal conversation. Thankfully the people went to bed early or were out most of the night.
But I guess what bothered me the most was the disgusting amount of hair on our socks after wLking sock foot in both of the rooms that we had! Not sure the floors had ever been vacuumed. My husband actually threw his socks out.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alberta4321
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that there was an issue with the carpets in your bedroom. Firstly to like to apologise and secondly I would like to personally investigate the issues your rose further. Could you please contact me at mlong@clontarfcastle.ie at your convenience.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at Clontarf castle in April 2014. Location wise i would say it is perfect, around 5-7 minutes in a taxi and you are in the centre of Dublin. The castle hotel itself is amazing, the entrance is stunning, the service very impressive. Bar Staff, restaraunt staff, reception all gave top notch service. If you are considering a romantic break in Ireland Contarf castle is perfect. Oh and the Food at the restaraunt, seriously some of the best food i have ever ate, dont know what the chef done to the steak but it was amazing !!!

Thanks Clontarf, we will be back soon

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable break at the castle. It’s great that you experienced such excellent customer service as this is something we strive to achieve. I’m also happy you were impressed by the castles decor and that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant. I’ll be sure to pass your compliments on to all the team at the castle.

Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us and would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

UK
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed here in April and have no complaints about the room or the food - both were good. The staff I dealt with were also pleasant.

However there was a queue for breakfast, some of our party waited for 15 minutes before being seated; but they have an unusual system in operation, you queue up and when you reach the door, and the folks who are serving themselves from the breakfast buffet, you are taken to a table and seated, you then have to make your way back to door and fight your way into the queue of people who are coming in and those already serving themselves. Not ideal, especially when those coming in the door believe they are in the queue for the buffet and don't realise you have to be seated first.

BUT when checking in I had to present a credit card for incidentals, all very normal and I was told they would put a hold for 50 euros on it. Several days later I checked my account and I had been charged the 50 euros. I emailed the hotel who replied that I had not been charged and the 'hold' would be released to my account within 10 days. Now 21 days later the money had not been release and my card company tells me that my card was CHARGED. My guess is that more staff training is required.

I contacted the hotel by email again today and got an 'out of office until 17 April' reply yet today is 4 May!

Not the end of the world but it has 'left a bad taste in the mouth'. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels across the world and this is only the second time this has happened to me; coincidentally that hotel was also in Dublin!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper staying when there is a wedding on you may want to ask for a room away fr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was disappointed to read that there was an issue with this charge to your credit card, I have sent you a private message via the TripAdvisor website. Would you be able to contact me at your convenience at mlong@clontarfcastle.ie ?

On a positive note, I was very pleased that you liked your meals, your bedroom and the staff at the Castle.

Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We had an amazing two night stay at the beautiful Clontarf Castle Hotel. The rooms were so luxurious and we had plenty of room to relax. We were so impressed with all of the staff and how they made us feel at home. The castle was beautifully decorated with 2 knights at the front door as well as a fireplace. We ate at the Knight's bar our fist night there and the food was so delicious. If we ever get the chance to go back to Ireland we will definitely be sure to stay at the Clontarf Castle Hotel. Thanks for an amazing stay and memories that we will never forget!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you were so impressed with the staff at the hotel as we aim to achieve excellent standards of customer service. I’m also pleased that you were pleased with your meal in Knights Bar and that you liked the decor of the castle. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to all the team.
Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future if you return to Ireland.

Arnold, Maryland
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I were on a two week adventure/honeymoon we never had/32 wedding anniversary/vacation!!! All my expectations were met in this hotel. When we first saw or room,It didn't feel as romantic as I would have liked it. Not even the hotels fault. We accidently booked the wrong type of room. Vijay exchanged our rooms immediately!!! He even let me choose between floors and two differnet rooms! Our room was prefect. The hotel is so beautiful.Dympna and Eilleen waited on us most evenings and aferternoons. I can't say enogh good about their care!!! Everyone was amazing. This hotel is perfectly located to be able to go and do anything you can imagine!!! When we come again we will stay there and we recomend this place to ALL our friends!!! There are so many things I could say about the greatness of this place. It was a dream come true!

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darlene C
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read your review, I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your special stay with us so much. It’s great that the staff at the castle made you feel so welcome and looked after. We aim to achieve excellent customer service standards so I’m very pleased you experienced this during your time with us. I’ll be sure to pass all your comments on to the team at the castle.

Many thanks again for your feedback and for your lovely recommendation, we very much look forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again next time you’re back in Dublin.