“Amazing Honeymoon!!”

Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
St. Louis
“Amazing Honeymoon!!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I took a European trip as our honeymoon and this is the first stop along our journey. Both of us were very excited about Ireland saying that this was the place that my wife had wanted to go since she was a little girl. So I reserved this hotel for a couple nights and as soon as we walked in we were NOT disappointed. From the professionalism of the staff, and in the beauty and elegance of the hotel lobby we were amazed.

We were given a complementary upgrade which turned out to be a fantastic room!! So thank you very much again for that!

My wife was completely amazed and impressed at the hotel that I had gotten for her! We had a four poster bed, two windows, a perfect sized bathroom, soft comfortable bed sheets, along with a very soft bed! And the other usual amenities that you would expect with a nicer hotel.

The hotel staff also helped me greatly in booking all the our travel adventures for the following week. I just showed up and he showed me all of the great places and fun things that I should do. He also called all of the different activities and scheduled them along with the taxes for me. So literally all I had to do was wake up, walk outside, get in to the taxi, and they took care of me from there. He even offered to organize the travel for me to get to Dingel!

The breakfast was wonderful!! I would highly recommend it! But only if you know for sure that you will be getting breakfast there every morning. Otherwise you can buy the breakfast for I think two euros more when you arrive down there in the morning. The bar and the restaurant are both very fairly priced for being in the hotel.

The location of the hotel was not bad either because you could just hop on the 130 bus from downtown Dublin and it would take you straight to the castle, or you could hop off a little early and walk about 10 minutes to the castle.

As far as some of the other reviews on here saying that their rooms were too small or that they weren't clean or that they weren't comfortable I have no idea what they are talking about. Maybe they were expecting €1000 a night quality with €100 euro a night price! Also you have to realize that this was a castle so it wasn't exactly designed as a hotel.

Overall this is a fantastic quality Castle Hotel and I would definitely stay in it again!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted that you and your wife had such a special honeymoon stay at the castle. I’m really pleased that you liked the facilities and all your meals, it’s also great that you experienced such great customer service. We aim to achieve outstanding standards in customer service so it’s always great to hear that our guests have experienced this. I’ll be sure to pass all your comments on to all the team here at the castle.
Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We would be delighted to welcome you both back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future if you return to Dublin.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I had really wanted to give this a positive review but the couple of issues that I encountered really put a bad taste in my mouth.
Overall the room was nice. A little on the smallish side but clean and well stocked. In my mind there was too much furniture in the room which made it feel a little cluttered at times. The shower felt a little cramped but had great pressure. The negative on the bed was that the sheets felt a little over starched. For this type of setting I would have expected a smoother feel to the bedding.
Biggest grumble I had was that I was a guest at a wedding and housekeeping came in the next morning to clean the room a little before 8am and got a half hearted apology when checking out that it shouldn’t have happened. Being a parent to a young child I was looking forward to waking up naturally which obviously didn’t happen by them barging in the room at that time.
The evening meal was faultless, served promptly, well presented and tasted well.
Breakfast the next morning was nice. Decent layout and enough to keep everyone happy. I would recommend that for the fruit and yoghurt compote they replace the muesli with granola to provide the crunch it so badly needed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Scoopy_1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that you were quite unimpressed with your bedroom size and some of its features. You have my sincere apologies that you were disturbed by housekeeping, I can assure you that this is not reflective of our usual standard and I will personally investigate this. If you would like to discuss your experience with me further please contact me at your earliest convenience on 01 8332321 or email mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was my first time staying in Clontarf Castle and I was very happy with my stay. I was accompanying my wife, who was attending a conference there and we decided to make a weekend of it. The common areas of the hotel are very nice with original parts of the castle blending well with the newer parts of the hotel. There are plenty of little nooks where you can sit and enjoy a coffee (or maybe something a little stronger) in relative privacy. The Knights Bar is also very nice and the food is tasty, well portioned and reasonably priced. Our room itself was very comfortable and as it was on the 4th floor was reasonably quiet considering there were 2 weddings and a private function being held during our stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning on staying in Dublin. It is a little out of the City itself however, so taxis would be required if you were planning on a night out in Temple Bar or Malahide (roughly €20-25).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you and your wife had such an enjoyable weekend at the castle and that you liked the food and the facilities. It’s also great that you had such a peaceful stay even though there were a number of events at the castle. We always strive to ensure that our guests are not negatively impacted other events during their stay.
Thanks again for your feedback and for your kind recommendation. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to the team. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here in April and it was okay. The pub food was good. There was a previous review about the difficulty in working in the room. I would like to add that we were in the middle of a two week trip and so had two large suitcases - it is almost impossible to maneuver in the room with them. The sound proofing between the rooms where there are unused adjoining rooms (doors are closed) is nonexistent. I could hear the conversation in the next room perfectly and it was a normal conversation. Thankfully the people went to bed early or were out most of the night.
But I guess what bothered me the most was the disgusting amount of hair on our socks after wLking sock foot in both of the rooms that we had! Not sure the floors had ever been vacuumed. My husband actually threw his socks out.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alberta4321
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that there was an issue with the carpets in your bedroom. Firstly to like to apologise and secondly I would like to personally investigate the issues your rose further. Could you please contact me at mlong@clontarfcastle.ie at your convenience.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at Clontarf castle in April 2014. Location wise i would say it is perfect, around 5-7 minutes in a taxi and you are in the centre of Dublin. The castle hotel itself is amazing, the entrance is stunning, the service very impressive. Bar Staff, restaraunt staff, reception all gave top notch service. If you are considering a romantic break in Ireland Contarf castle is perfect. Oh and the Food at the restaraunt, seriously some of the best food i have ever ate, dont know what the chef done to the steak but it was amazing !!!

Thanks Clontarf, we will be back soon

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable break at the castle. It’s great that you experienced such excellent customer service as this is something we strive to achieve. I’m also happy you were impressed by the castles decor and that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant. I’ll be sure to pass your compliments on to all the team at the castle.

Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us and would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.

UK
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed here in April and have no complaints about the room or the food - both were good. The staff I dealt with were also pleasant.

However there was a queue for breakfast, some of our party waited for 15 minutes before being seated; but they have an unusual system in operation, you queue up and when you reach the door, and the folks who are serving themselves from the breakfast buffet, you are taken to a table and seated, you then have to make your way back to door and fight your way into the queue of people who are coming in and those already serving themselves. Not ideal, especially when those coming in the door believe they are in the queue for the buffet and don't realise you have to be seated first.

BUT when checking in I had to present a credit card for incidentals, all very normal and I was told they would put a hold for 50 euros on it. Several days later I checked my account and I had been charged the 50 euros. I emailed the hotel who replied that I had not been charged and the 'hold' would be released to my account within 10 days. Now 21 days later the money had not been release and my card company tells me that my card was CHARGED. My guess is that more staff training is required.

I contacted the hotel by email again today and got an 'out of office until 17 April' reply yet today is 4 May!

Not the end of the world but it has 'left a bad taste in the mouth'. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels across the world and this is only the second time this has happened to me; coincidentally that hotel was also in Dublin!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper staying when there is a wedding on you may want to ask for a room away fr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was disappointed to read that there was an issue with this charge to your credit card, I have sent you a private message via the TripAdvisor website. Would you be able to contact me at your convenience at mlong@clontarfcastle.ie ?

On a positive note, I was very pleased that you liked your meals, your bedroom and the staff at the Castle.

Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We had an amazing two night stay at the beautiful Clontarf Castle Hotel. The rooms were so luxurious and we had plenty of room to relax. We were so impressed with all of the staff and how they made us feel at home. The castle was beautifully decorated with 2 knights at the front door as well as a fireplace. We ate at the Knight's bar our fist night there and the food was so delicious. If we ever get the chance to go back to Ireland we will definitely be sure to stay at the Clontarf Castle Hotel. Thanks for an amazing stay and memories that we will never forget!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you were so impressed with the staff at the hotel as we aim to achieve excellent standards of customer service. I’m also pleased that you were pleased with your meal in Knights Bar and that you liked the decor of the castle. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to all the team.
Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future if you return to Ireland.