“First night in Ireland” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
St. Martinville, LA
“First night in Ireland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Our first nights stay in Ireland was at the Clontarf Castle Hotel. We were attending the Millennium banquet of Brian Borou, We thoroughly enjoyed the banquet and stayed a second night while we toured Dublin. We parked our car at the castle and chose to be picked up by the shuttle that picks up at the castle and brings you into Dublin.
We had a few drinks at the bar and talked with friendly locals. Lunch was also had in the bar restaurant. wait staff was extremely friendly and talkative. We also had dinner in the main hotel restaurant. We found the menu and service to be excellent.

The friendly and A+ service made for a delightful stay. Our room was very comfortable. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I’m delighted that your party had such an enjoyable stay with us during the millennium anniversary of the battle of Clontarf. It’s great that you liked our bars and restaurant. I’m particularly pleased that you found the service to be excellent as we strive to achieve such standards. I’ll be sure to pass all your compliments on to all the team here at Clontarf Castle Hotel.

Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Furbo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed mid week and found this hotel very friendly and welcoming. The bedroom was good, comfortable and very clean. The staff were very good, friendly and attentive. Food & drinks were reasonably priced and of good quality. Happy with the hotel and will stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay at the castle and that you were so pleased with everything. I’m particularly pleased that you mentioned you found the staff to be friendly and attentive as we aim to achieve excellent standards in customer service. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to all the team here.

Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to contact me. We would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again and look forward to welcoming you back.

Ohio, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Staff was attentive, food and service at the bar were good. The room was a bit small for the price, but clean and comfortable. Our room was near the stairs and got quite loud at night and early morning.

Room Tip: Ask to stay far from stairs/elevators.
1 Thank 6bug
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you found the food, the staff and the bar service to be so good at the hotel. I was disappointed that you experienced some noise disturbance during your stay, thank you for bringing this to my attention. If you would like to speak to me about your experience please contact me on 018332321 or mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My bf booked this as a surprise weekend stay. The reception area of the hotel is lovely, and the room was very clean with a comfy bed (although less comfy pillows!).
Overall, customer service was 4/5. There was one lady, the restaurant manager perhaps, who was brilliant. The rest of the staff were less impressive.

The room was on the 2nd floor, and when we checked in we asked if it would be noisy as there were two weddings that night (and a further two functions the following eve). We were assured that it would be quiet, but it was far from it. We rang the desk at 1145pm on the Sat night, hoping the music would stop at midnight, but were told it would carry on until 1am. The desk then asked if we were "sure" we could hear the music, as it was soundproofed! I could hear every word of every song...and the guests singing along, so it was most definitely not soundproof! The room was very clean, but it could be a Hilton room anywhere in the world, nothing about it (except for a framed picture) suggested it was in the castle. We knew this when we booked, so it isn't a complaint, but do be aware if you are considering staying...you won't have a clue you are staying in a castle hotel once you leave reception.

We had a terrible meal in the restaurant on Sunday night. The starter was fine, but the mains (both steak) took 45 minutes after our starter was cleared. When they did arrive, bf steak was close to well done, when he had asked for (and been told by the waitress) that it was rare. It was sent back, by the time the replacement arrived I had finished mine. The chips were really poor, very undercooked. We didn't finish eating until gone 10pm, which is far too late for us, so we didn't have a dessert. The manager (mentioned earlier) was lovely, and removed the cost of the steak and a glass of wine but our romantic evening meal had been ruined by that point. Furthermore, a few other couples had similar complaints...the staff then started arguing amongst each other at the desk (the manager had tried to reprimand, i think, but it didn't go down well with the waitresses and they spent a good 5 minutes having a heated discussion about it after she left) which was really unprofessional.

On check-out, we were asked how our stay was. We mentioned the noise and the poor dinner and the response was "oh, sorry about that". I'm not even entirely sure the receptionist was listening.

All-in-all, not great, and we wouldn't recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Try a higher floor than the 2nd if you want a quiet night.
1 Thank Vicki524
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that you felt let down by your stay at the castle. You have my sincere apologies about the noise disruption you experienced and for the disappointment with your meal in the restaurant. I was glad to read that you were impressed with the Restaurant Manager and that this issue was dealt with, however I can assure you that I will also personally look into this. If you would like to discuss your experience with me further please contact me at your earliest convenience on 01 8332321 or email mlong@clontarfcastl.ie. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I took a European trip as our honeymoon and this is the first stop along our journey. Both of us were very excited about Ireland saying that this was the place that my wife had wanted to go since she was a little girl. So I reserved this hotel for a couple nights and as soon as we walked in we were NOT disappointed. From the professionalism of the staff, and in the beauty and elegance of the hotel lobby we were amazed.

We were given a complementary upgrade which turned out to be a fantastic room!! So thank you very much again for that!

My wife was completely amazed and impressed at the hotel that I had gotten for her! We had a four poster bed, two windows, a perfect sized bathroom, soft comfortable bed sheets, along with a very soft bed! And the other usual amenities that you would expect with a nicer hotel.

The hotel staff also helped me greatly in booking all the our travel adventures for the following week. I just showed up and he showed me all of the great places and fun things that I should do. He also called all of the different activities and scheduled them along with the taxes for me. So literally all I had to do was wake up, walk outside, get in to the taxi, and they took care of me from there. He even offered to organize the travel for me to get to Dingel!

The breakfast was wonderful!! I would highly recommend it! But only if you know for sure that you will be getting breakfast there every morning. Otherwise you can buy the breakfast for I think two euros more when you arrive down there in the morning. The bar and the restaurant are both very fairly priced for being in the hotel.

The location of the hotel was not bad either because you could just hop on the 130 bus from downtown Dublin and it would take you straight to the castle, or you could hop off a little early and walk about 10 minutes to the castle.

As far as some of the other reviews on here saying that their rooms were too small or that they weren't clean or that they weren't comfortable I have no idea what they are talking about. Maybe they were expecting €1000 a night quality with €100 euro a night price! Also you have to realize that this was a castle so it wasn't exactly designed as a hotel.

Overall this is a fantastic quality Castle Hotel and I would definitely stay in it again!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted that you and your wife had such a special honeymoon stay at the castle. I’m really pleased that you liked the facilities and all your meals, it’s also great that you experienced such great customer service. We aim to achieve outstanding standards in customer service so it’s always great to hear that our guests have experienced this. I’ll be sure to pass all your comments on to all the team here at the castle.
Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. We would be delighted to welcome you both back to Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future if you return to Dublin.

Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I had really wanted to give this a positive review but the couple of issues that I encountered really put a bad taste in my mouth.
Overall the room was nice. A little on the smallish side but clean and well stocked. In my mind there was too much furniture in the room which made it feel a little cluttered at times. The shower felt a little cramped but had great pressure. The negative on the bed was that the sheets felt a little over starched. For this type of setting I would have expected a smoother feel to the bedding.
Biggest grumble I had was that I was a guest at a wedding and housekeeping came in the next morning to clean the room a little before 8am and got a half hearted apology when checking out that it shouldn’t have happened. Being a parent to a young child I was looking forward to waking up naturally which obviously didn’t happen by them barging in the room at that time.
The evening meal was faultless, served promptly, well presented and tasted well.
Breakfast the next morning was nice. Decent layout and enough to keep everyone happy. I would recommend that for the fruit and yoghurt compote they replace the muesli with granola to provide the crunch it so badly needed!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Scoopy_1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that you were quite unimpressed with your bedroom size and some of its features. You have my sincere apologies that you were disturbed by housekeeping, I can assure you that this is not reflective of our usual standard and I will personally investigate this. If you would like to discuss your experience with me further please contact me at your earliest convenience on 01 8332321 or email mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was my first time staying in Clontarf Castle and I was very happy with my stay. I was accompanying my wife, who was attending a conference there and we decided to make a weekend of it. The common areas of the hotel are very nice with original parts of the castle blending well with the newer parts of the hotel. There are plenty of little nooks where you can sit and enjoy a coffee (or maybe something a little stronger) in relative privacy. The Knights Bar is also very nice and the food is tasty, well portioned and reasonably priced. Our room itself was very comfortable and as it was on the 4th floor was reasonably quiet considering there were 2 weddings and a private function being held during our stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning on staying in Dublin. It is a little out of the City itself however, so taxis would be required if you were planning on a night out in Temple Bar or Malahide (roughly €20-25).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you and your wife had such an enjoyable weekend at the castle and that you liked the food and the facilities. It’s also great that you had such a peaceful stay even though there were a number of events at the castle. We always strive to ensure that our guests are not negatively impacted other events during their stay.
Thanks again for your feedback and for your kind recommendation. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to the team. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the castle again in the future.