“Great Staff, Great Food, Great Stay”

Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 June 2014

What a fantastic place. We stayed our first night for a special occasion. Our concierge Vijay booked a great tour for us and Chris Judge the head concierge was a pleasure to work with and never steered us wrong. Before we left Chris gave us his card in case we needed anything. Much to our chagrin we had an issue with our next hotel. Chris was able to get us a room at a reasonable rate and made our second stay even better than the first. The breakfast was delicious and the grounds beautiful. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Suggest including the breakfast and take the time to walk in to town to go to Bergdorf Fish And Chip...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, in particular the breakfast. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to Vijay, Chris and the team here. We do aim to exceed our guests expectations and I am pleased that we delivered on this with the issue you experienced in your next hotel. Many thanks again for your feedback. We appreciate it and would be delighted to invite you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have just returned from a weekend stay at the Clontarf. It was easily one of the best hotel experiences we have had. The quality of the food in the restaurant was superb and the accommodation of a high standard. The hotel itself is based on an historical site and has retained a good deal of the feel of the original castle although the accommodation itself is quite modern. We stayed in a deluxe room and found it very reasonably priced for Dublin.
Having said all of that no hotel can function properly without good staff and attention to service. Both of which were abundant and it is difficult to praise them enough. In particular would like to thank Chris the Head Concierge and Mark the General Manager who could not do enough for us and made it a truly memorable weekend. Highly recommended and will certainly return when we next visit Dublin.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure meeting you during your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel. I will be sure to pass your positive feedback on to Chris and the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel when you are next in Dublin!

With kind regards

Mark long
general Manager

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I recently went for something to eat in the Knights Bar in Clontarf Castle with my husband and mum. My mum uses a wheelchair. From the moment we went into the Knights Bar we were greeted by Dympna who immediately re-arranged the seating so that the wheelchair fitted comfortably by the table. She made no fuss about doing this and her ability to pro-actively take the initiative without having to be asked was really appreciated. The food was really delicious and my mum particularly liked the fish cakes. Throughout our meal all our needs were met by Dympna with a friendly smile, despite her being very busy serving a lot of people. I would highly recommend this Bar for its staff, food, and ambience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read you were pleased with the food at the Knights Bar, and especially happy you received exceptional service from Dympna. I will be sure to pass your wonderful comments on to her and the rest of the team here. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to inviting you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We arrived at Clontarf Castle Hotel on May 31.From the time we checked in at reception it went down hill from there.Me and my husband were told we had a single room after booking a suite at the cost of two hundred and twenty nine euro for one night.The lady at reception fixed this problem for us.After checking out our room we went to the residents bar we sat at a table and had a drink only to be told we had to leave this section of the bar as there was a wedding party coming in.The other section of the bar were we were sent tables were reserved and we were told we could not sit at them.We were put in a corner of the bar behind the main door entrance.This was a special day for myself and my husbandas it was our 13th wedding anniversary.It was not worth two hundred and twenty nine euros for the experience we left the hotel the next morning in disgust will not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Audrey F

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was disappointed to read you were displeased with the seating arrangements in our Knights bar. I wish to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences due to the arrival of the wedding party. We strive to deliver a high standard of customer service and I’m sorry that we fell short during your stay with us. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your complaint in more detail, my email address is mlong@clontarfcastle.ie. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel while visiting Dublin, Ireland. It is an interesting mix of the one thousand year old Clontarf Castle with a modern hotel built at the rear of it and connected. The rooms had all the modern conveniences and the hotel restaurant and bar were very good as well. Public transportation by bus is available just two blocks down the hill so you can get into Dublin city quickly and cheaply.

Room Tip: Basic room is all you need for a base while in the area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I was especially pleased you were impressed with our restaurant and bar. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to the team here. Thank you again for your review.

Clontarf Castel Hotel

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here this weekend for a family weeding. What a Lovely hotel to stay in. Rooms are lovely and clean, quiet hotel, lovely reception, lovely food, amazing staff, decent price. Can't say enough good things about it. Would like to thank the hard working polite staff.
Would recommend to anyone.
It is also known for celebrities to stay here. When we stayed there was a very high profile celebrity there.
Thank you and will be returning.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank gregwales

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, and especially happy you were impressed by our staff as we aim to achieve excellent standards in customer service. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to the team here at the castle. Many thanks again for your feedback. We appreciate it and would be delighted to invite you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed 4 nights at the Clontarf Castle and it really made my short trip to Ireland seem more authentic. I am so happy that we stayed away from the major hotel chains in Dublin. I loved that the hotel had preserved some of the original castle and history. The decor was nice and my room was cute and comfortable. My friend who stayed in another room was a little different, hers was more like a standard hotel room, whereas mine was a little smaller with a neat sit in window area. Everything worked fine and the room was pretty clean, except for the A/C, but I cracked the window since it was a nice temperature and loved hearing the birds chirping. So no real complaints. I do wish that there was a little gift shop that maybe had some items specific to Clontarf like magnets and pieces of history, post cards and little pieces of information to take back home. Everyone at the front desk was awesome. They were so helpful and friendly. The cab service was great and very easy to get cabs at anytime, since you are a little on the outskirts of the Dublin city center. We did not take public transport, but noticed there were plenty of stops within walking distance with frequent buses.

We also enjoyed the breakfast each morning. It was very good, a great spread of food with lots of options. The dining areas are gorgeous. One night we also had dinner at the Fahrenheit restaurant. I would say that the food was good. I thought it could have been a little better but only because of other reviews I read which kind of increased my expectations. I had the seabass and my friend ordered the butternut squash gnocchi. The gnocchi I thought a little plain, but it wasn't bad. The bread and butter, asparagus and salad and deserts were divine.

We also made a couple trips to the Knights Bar where we enjoyed live music and wonderful service by Dainius! We had lively conversation and he offered some good drink recommendations. It was the perfect ending to our short stay at Clontarf.

I will definitely recommend Clontarf Castle to friends, family and business associates planning to visit the Dublin area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank McSmith410

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read you had such a lovely stay at the castle and that you enjoyed our restaurant. I’ll make sure to pass your compliments on to the team here. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future. Many thanks again for your review.