“Did not feel welcome”

Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Did not feel welcome”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night. From the start I felt as if the staff were looking down upon me. They forgot to make the bed with sheets, and when I told them their response was sorry about that. The king bed was two twins pushed together and was very uncomfortable. Our view was of a stone wall. The experience did not feel very castle like in the least. Food was good but overpriced. Over all not with the high price tag!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I’m disappointed to read you were displeased with you stay with us. Rest assured, this is not our typical standard as we usually receive excellent reviews about our customer service. I've sent you a personal message with my contact information, and would like an opportunity to speak with you about your trip at your convenience. Again, thank you for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Hornell, New York
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I were on our honeymoon and when we ate in the bar at the Clontarf Castle Hotel we had the best service of anyplace we had been in Dublin (or elsewhere). Our waitress, Dympna, was courteous and friendly and saw to our every need. She checked to see how our food was and also made sure we were never lacking for drinks or any other service. Dympna did a great job and my wife and I were truly pleased with her service. This hotel had the best wait staff I had seen of any of the bars, pubs, or other hotels we stayed at during our 12 day trip. I highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jarrod S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am delighted to hear you received the best service at The Knights Bar out of any place you had been in Dublin, as we strive to deliver the best customer service to all of our guests. We will be sure to pass your comments along to Dympna and the rest of the team here at Clontarf. Again, thanks for your feedback, and we’re excited to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

San Carlos, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My family stayed here two nights, and had breakfast both mornings.
The place is amazing! Luxurious, well-appointed, with friendly staff and excellent service.
The breakfast food is absolutely superb, and we also ate in the bar, which was busy but the food and service were excellent, and the Guinness was among the best we had - which in Dublin is a fine accomplishment (better even than at the Guinness Store House).
Even though it's a little way out of town, there is a bus stop within 5 mins walks with good service into the centre.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mario W
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I’m delighted to read your stay with us was excellent and that you were pleased with the superb food and exemplary service at Fahrenheit Grill and the Knight’s Bar. I appreciate your feedback, as it assures us we are successfully a step closer to achieving our goal to deliver the highest standards in customer service and hospitality. I will be sure to send your comments on to the rest of the team here at Clontarf, and would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a good quality hotel close to a little street of nice restaurants and one or two pubs. We enjoyed a stay here whilst visiting Croke Pk for a conference and it was handy enough by car. I would usually sty more central in Dublin, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BlueOcean1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I’m delighted to read you were pleased with the high quality of the hotel, and were satisfied with the local attractions. I’ll be sure to send your comments on to the team here. Thanks again for your review. We appreciate the feedback and are excited to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently and found the venue superb. It was a bit more difficult to find than I'd hoped but well worth the hunt. If you're not familiar with Dublin, I would definitely recommend GPS. However, we found the staff to be lovely and helpful and our room to be top class. There are both formal and informal options for dinner and Dympna at the pub was just fantastic!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the high quality of our rooms, and that you received excellent service from our staff as we strive to deliver outstanding customer service to all of our guests. I will be sure to send your comments on to Dympna and the rest of the team here at Clontarf. Your feedback is much appreciated, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My boyfriend and I only stayed here for a single night, but it was such a pleasant stay. The room was very comfortable and clean and the breakfast the next day was the perfect Irish Breakfast! Beautiful Hotel, only thing is you definitely need to take a taxi to get here from the city center. For some reason I was under the impression that I would be able to walk, took me over an hour… So definitely need a taxi (cost around 10 Euro) but such a beautiful castle!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am delighted to read you were satisfied with the high quality of our rooms, and that you enjoyed your breakfast at the Fahrenheit Grill. We are located two miles from the city, should you be returning, there is a bus stop directly outside the castle gates with a service every 10 minutes in to the city and a journey time of 10 minutes. We are also a 5 minute walk from the DART station (train) with a regular city centre service. The Dublin City Hop On / hop off tour bus also picks up at the hotel each morning and is a wonderful way to see the city. We would be delighted to welcome you back in the future, and I hope that these recommendations will be helpful on your next visit. Thank you again for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 June 2014

While the rooms were very much modern, the castle itself is a lovely mix of modern and old. Everyone who worked here was also so incredibly friendly, particularly the head concierge, who helped us with directions and recommendations several times (I wish I could remember his name!). The castle isn't in the center of town, but is a short taxi ride away. There are a few pubs and restaurants within walking distance as well. I was on the fence about booking here due to the distance from the center of town but am really, really happy that we did. My only regret is that we didn't stay here for more than two nights!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and especially pleased that you received such friendly and courteous customer service. We strive to deliver an excellent experience to all of our guests. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team here in particular concierge. Again, I appreciate your feedback, and I’m looking forward to inviting you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Yours sincerely,