“Beautiful building, wonderful pub!”

Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Niceville, FL
“Beautiful building, wonderful pub!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Upon arriving in Ireland from overseas, we recently spent one night at Clontarf Castle. I had been very excited about staying there based on the glowing reviews, but left feeling a little disappointed. To be sure, the public areas of the hotel are VERY beautiful and tastefully decorated. Whoever was in charge of design really did a wonderful job! I thought the gorgeous lobby was very impressive. Check-in was alright, not overly friendly.
We had dinner in the Knight's Bar, which was wonderful. Our servers, Elaine and Kate (?), were fantastic as was the meal (Guinness pie). Again, I thought the decor was great.
As for the room (deluxe), it was disappointingly small, and somewhat basic. After opening our two suitcases, we felt cramped. The bathroom was very clean, but everything had a plastic feel to it. Again, very basic.
The noise level also bothered me. We could definitely hear the comings and goings of the guests next door.
In sum, given what I spent on the room ($160), I would not choose to return as I thought the value wasn't that great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your dinner in the Knight’s Bar, and that Elaine and Kate delivered excellent service. I will be sure to send your comments on to them and the rest of the staff here at Clontarf Castle. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf in the future.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I made this my first stop in Ireland after having such a good experience with this hotel while traveling with my husband last year. It's close enough to the airport and a short drive, bus or bike into city center. The staff is gracious, helpful and competent; the rooms are very comfortable and clean. When I arrive from the US I need a comfortable, secure place to rest, with food nearby and easy parking. This hotel fits the bill. The site has history that is a thousand years old, but the facility is comfortably modern without losing its charm. An excellent launching point.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read you enjoyed our clean and comfortable rooms, and even more pleased to read you received excellent service from our staff as we strive to deliver the best standards in customer service. Again, many thanks for your review. It’s very much appreciated, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Hi to Leonora and the very wonderful Aileen and staff.

My daughter and Son In- laws wedding was a most wonderful experience, thanks to you and ALL the staff at Clontarf Castle. The chef who had an enormous task catering for the many food allergies that he was bombarded with. It was very clear that that he pulled out all the stops to ensure that all our guests were catered to and please inform him we and they were more than grateful for his huge effort. All our guests were bowled over by the efficiency and courtesy of the staff and it truly reflected what I am sure is the highest quality standard that Clontarf Castle would and should boast.

I hope I have expressed my gratitude in the best way I can and that I have paid the highest compliment to you for doing such a wonderful job.

Christina & Kevin Coyle ( parents of the bride) Hazel Miller mother of the groom

Room Tip: As it was our daughters wedding we were up graded to an executive suite and it was excellent we wish...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read your daughter’s wedding was such a wonderful experience and that you thought our staff to be courteous and efficient. One of our goals at Clontarf is to ensure every guest receives an outstanding experience, so I’m very glad to read our exceptional chefs and diligent staff made that possible for you. Thanks again for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

Belmont, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had rented a car when we landed in Dublin and it was a short ride to this beautiful castle hotel with ample parking. Our room was very large with a sitting room and spacious bedroom and bath. There was a nice view of Dublin from our window. The lobby sitting area was warm and inviting. We had a buffet breakfast at the hotel the next morning which was excellent. The wait staff was very helpful. The restoration of this castle is complete with all the comforts of home.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our beautiful castle hotel, and especially pleased that your breakfast the next morning was excellent and you found the wait staff to be very helpful. I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to the team here. Again, many thanks for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Had a wonderful night Thursday 10th July, food was fantastic and piping hot!!! Service was great, served by Amanda and Michelle who were efficient and friendly! The atmosphere was great and very roomy for comfort. Niamh

Room Tip: roomy and great atmosphere!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience in our restaurant, and especially pleased you received efficient and friendly service from Amanda and Michelle. I will be sure to pass your lovely comments along to them and to the rest of the team here at Clontarf. Again, many thanks for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

First class hotel with the most pleasant staff you could imagine...The Fahrenheit Grill serves excellent food and is definitely worth a visit.
Really glad to have stayed here and a return is on the cards!!.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had an excellent experience at The Fahrenheit Grill, and especially pleased you thought our staff to be pleasant. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and we are looking forward to inviting you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Really great place to stay! Rooms are generous, dining is great, the staff are fantastic. The castle has been well restored and is really well maintained. Definitely high quality accomodation and very affordable. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room and dining options, and especially pleased you thought the staff to be fantastic. Thank you for your recommendation, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.