“beautiful hotel very inspiring”

Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was the first hotel we stayed in upon arival and it brought in the atmosphere of castles and mystery right away. Everyone loved the experience and the breakfast restaurant and the area. Excellent rooms and service, beautiful property, very well maintained. Will stay again for sure. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was especially pleased that you liked your breakfast at the Fahrenheit Restaurant, and that you thought our rooms and property to be beautiful and well maintained. I will be sure to send your lovely comments on to the rest of the team here. Again, many thanks for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future.

Your Sincerely,
Clontarf Castle Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (4,195)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

A beautiful hotel! Quite the experience. We had stayed in central Dublin previously and decided to try a stay in a "castle". It was outstanding! The staff was courteous very helpful and efficient. The accommodations were perfect. We're hoping to repeat the visit next time we find ourselves in Dublin.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you were pleased with your stay with us. I was especially happy to read that you thought our staff to be courteous, helpful and efficient as we strive to deliver the best standards in customer service. Thank you for your review, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

Your Sincerely,

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Looking for a wonderful end to a spectacular weeklong visit to Dublin.

The entirety of the trip was spectacular, save Clontarf. There was a large wedding booked on the Thu evening we arrived, and as a result, the wedding party and guests had "the run of the place".

Starting with a loud and celebratory reception area, we were treated as if we were an afterthought since we weren't with the wedding. One of the main venues (The Indigo Bar) was closed off to us, and guests were being served dinner in the lobby as a result!

The bar itself is stunning, and the outdoor area - on a spectacular day/night, was "off-limits" to guests. Really? I guess our Euros are less valuable than the wedding guests who paid nothing. How is it possible that the only venue, outside the fine dining is closed to hotel guests? Limited staff and harried ones available, made a relaxing drink in the bar impossible.

If you are renting the entire hotel, great, otherwise we were subjected to treatment as second class citizens.

If you go, make SURE there is not an event booked. Oddly enough the hotel has an enormous conference and ballroom facility, that of course WE were not allowed in, as they spilled over to the bar and courtyard, making the rest of us fend for ourselves.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Vanessa T

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was disappointed to read that you were unsatisfied with your stay with us, and we sincerely apologize that you felt undervalued. While hosting events, we try to make all our other guests feel as welcome. Although Indigo Lounge was being used for this event, we also had our Knights Bar and Fahrenheit Restaurant which accommodates all of our guests. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Dublin is a city unlike other bustling mad cities where being in the city is important. We walked into the city centre each day from clontarf castle and it was a lovely walk along the waterside and through quiet and peaceful paths. The walk takes about an hour from castle to GPO.
The hotel itself is one of the most unique and fantastic places I have stayed in. The rooms are as good as any 5 star, the breakfast is better than most buffets and if your driving parking is plentiful and right at your door. I cannot rate the quality and service at this hotel too highly and the price is ridiculously reasonable for such a unique and classy place. Do yourself a favour and give this place a go, I reckon you will never regret it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Russ M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was especially pleased to read you thought your breakfast at Fahrenheit Grill to be better than most as we use the finest local produce to ensure exceptional quality meals. Again, many thanks for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

THE GOOD
Room
The room I've booked comes with a queen size bed and I won't consider it too crowded; acceptable for business travelers. It comes with the standard iron and board for ladies who pack clothes that occasionally require straightening/ironing. The room also offers adequate power outlets which are very useful for business travelers trotting their laptop, mobile phones and other gadgets.

Unlimited refills
The housekeeping staff is very diligent in refilling my coffee and toiletries - I value this type of service. Other hotels may at times wait for a few days to replenish the soap or shampoo.

Location
The hotel is near the bus station (about 8 mins walk) and subway (about 15 mins walk) which makes it convenient to commute. A bus ride to the city centre will take approx. 20mins. The hotel is also situated near the bay which provides a very serene view and offers you a variety of nature fun activities like walking, jogging and biking along the promenade.

Bike Rentals
The hotel has 2 bikes that they offer for rental for €10/bike/day. While this is good, I've stayed in another hotel that offered free bike usage for their guests rather than charging them, and they have more than 2 bikes. One thing worth mentioning is that the staff in charge of renting out bikes is very helpful. He took time to indicate (in details) the different points of interest within the vicinity to guide tourists where to bike.

Free Shuttle Service to Nearby Business Park
Clontarf Castle is very near one one of the business park and their free shuttle service to this Business Centre is very convenient, not to mention cost-effective for the company.

Breakfast
My room comes with free breakfast at Fahrenheit Grill. The breakfast selection is adequate with choice of warm sausages, bacon, potatoes etc and a number of breads, yoghurt and fruits to pick. There was a time however the prunes became unavailable for awhile.

FOR IMPROVEMENT

Inconsistent Service
On my first night, I was not given any bottled water and when I rang the front desk I was informed they do not provide complimentary bottled water which for me is rather disappointing. On my succeeding stays however, bottled water was given.

Shower and Heater
The water pressure is rather weak in my room (I'm staying at the 3rd floor) which considerably lessens my shower experience. Added to that, there was a morning when the shower heater in my room didn't activate. Thinking it may just take a while for the heater to kick in, I left the water running for close to 15 mins to no avail. I have to leave early in the morning for a meeting and was significantly delayed due to difficultly of showering with cold water.

Sound proofing
There is a more-than-usual gap between the door and the carpeted floor which then allows noises from the hall to be heard inside the room. This impacts my quality of sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kerriegan
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was even more pleased to read that you thought our room and location were up to standards. We appreciate your feedback, and we will be sure to take your comments into consideration. We now offer complimentary bottled water in all our guests rooms and will ensure maintenance are made aware of the issues you had during your stay with us. Again, many thanks for your review, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Had a chance to take my mother to Ireland and began our trip with three nights at the Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was not disappointed! I could go on and on about this place, but the bottom line.....stay here!

1  Thank WonderlustTraveler68

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your three night stay with us. Your recommendation is much appreciated, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed in Clontarf Castle on Monday 21st and 22nd July as we had a family birthday. It was a very good experience from start to finish. This hotel is tastefully decorated throughout. The old with the new works very well to complement each other. We had dinner in hotel restaurant on our first night and the food was delicious , the service excellent, bar staff very friendly thanks to Graham and all staff. There was a great selection of beautiful fresh fruits, cold meats, cheeses, breads, pastries,, traditional sausages,bacon. eggs. black and white pudding, mushrooms , smoked salmon , kippers and any omelette of your choice for breakfast . We went out to a beautiful restaurant in Howth for our second night recommended by Laura and it was excellent. The hotel is a little outside Dublin average 10.50 euro by taxi or there are buses in and out of Dublin city. The dart station is within walking distance and you can go around Dublin's coastal areas or if you wish you can take a walk along the promenade in Clontarf. This is a lovely hotel with extra special details that makes for a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend Clontarf Castle for any special occasions or perhaps just a treat . Thanks to Laura, Graham and all staff, you are doing a great job and I look forward to seeing you all again.

Room Tip: We stayed on third floor and there was no noise, beds very comfortable.