“Retreat away from the busy streets of Dublin” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clontarf Castle Hotel

Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Toronto, Canada
“Retreat away from the busy streets of Dublin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here on July 21, 2014. After spending the day in busy downtown Dublin, this was a perfect quiet setting to rest up for our trip north the next day. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Our two twin beds didn't feel small at all. We had a late night drink in the Knights Bar - definitely recommend the fresh made scones - I craved them for the rest of my vacation!! The breakfast buffet was very good and in the 8 hotels we stayed in, this hotel was the only one that had an espresso machine as part of the buffet. My latte loving companion was in heaven. We would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had an excellent experience at the Castle. I was even more pleased you thought our rooms to be comfortable and well appointed, and the breakfast buffet to be satisfying. Again, many thanks for your feedback. Your comments are much appreciated, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

Clontarf Castle Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Fort St. John, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

6 of us stayed at this hotel in April 2014. Lovely hotel, lovely grounds, lovely area of Dublin. A bit out of town though and although the walk to the bus stops was a lovely one it was a bit of a stretch each day with children. My grandchildren loved the fact they were in a Castle. Glad we spent the money for the grandchildren to say they were in a castle but I did find it pricey.

• Stayed April 2014
      Rooms
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you and your family had a good stay with us. I was especially pleased you were satisfied with the atmosphere provided by the hotel and grounds. Your feedback is much appreciated, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

blissbeach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This trip was booked to suprise myself and my friend by our husbands. We were not dissapointed. The service was warm and welcoming. The staff simply assisted us no matter what our queries and the hotel itself was stunning. 20 min bus ride into Dublin center. Reasonable taxi fare to and from Dublin airport. Lovely bar area that serves the most delicious beef and guiness pie and the drink it's self!
Big thank you to Chris on reception for helping us with his knowledge of Dublin and things to do on our trip!
We hope to return in the future!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and even more pleased that you received exceptional customer service from our staff. I will be sure to send your comments on to Chris and the rest of the team. Again, thank you for your review, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castel in the future.

Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Clontarf Castle Hotel is located on the fringe of Dublin so to get to city center will involve a 15 minute cab ride, but the experience is well worth it. You are greeted at the front desk by friendly and efficient staff. The castle is well preserved and forms the center piece of the property. The architect and engineers did a splendid job of highlighting the old stone castle and building modern facilities and accommodation around it.

Food and drink at Knight's Bar were wonderful and you get to mingle with the locals. Finer people you will not find anywhere. Elaine and Peter took very good care of us and were always pleasant despite the hectic pace.

Accommodations were first class and everything worked just as it should.

Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the building.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and even more pleased you receieved exceptional service from our staff at the front desk and Knights Bar. I will be sure to send your lovely comments on to Elaine, Peter, and the rest of the team. Again, many thanks for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

Huntsville, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The lobby of this hotel was interesting because it was built around a part of the old castle. The bar and restaurant also had a lot of "castle" atmosphere. We had very good food and service in the bar. There are no other restaurants around the hotel, so this is the only place to eat. Unfortunately, the dining room was booked for a tour group so our only option was to eat at the bar. We could have gone into the city, which was a 10 minute bus ride, but after a day of driving, were too tired to do this. This was my only complaint. Our room was nice and the four poster bed gave the room a castle feel. The hotel is not far from the airport. This would be a good choice if you do not want to stay in the city but still want to be close.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and even more pleased to read that you thought your room to be nice. I apologize for the inconveniences caused by the restaurant being fully booked. We do recommend that our guests reserve a table as The Fahrenheit Restaurant is very popular among locals as well as hotel guests. Again, many thanks for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I traveled to Clontarf this month and spent a night in this beautiful Hotel. The grounds are stunning, and the front gardens are beautiful. The restaurant has the charm and feel of a grand dining room of a castle and the breakfasts were fantastic. The staff was incredible, polite, very friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the pub and the servings were large and very tasty! The room had a beautiful view of the front entrance, comfortable and clean bed and lots of space for our luggage and us. We strongly recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and even more pleased that you were satisfied with The Fahrenheit Restaurant and Knights Bar. Your comments about our staff are very lovely, and we will be sure to send them along to the rest of the team. Thank you for your feedback and the recommendation, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.

Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for three nights in July. We originally stayed a little closer to town and moved here for the second half of our trip. We received excellent customer service from Monica, she made our check in process very easy. The room was very nice with plenty of room. We enjoyed walking around and exploring the nooks and crannies of this historic hotel.
Taxi rides back and forth to the city center were on average $15 each way.
My only complaint was that there were multiple "michelin" stickers on the door to restaurant. I had an issue with the temperature of my lamb when it was brought out to me (over-cooked, the server took care of this immediately however), the table next to me had to send one of their steaks back due to not being cooked through for her liking.
I researched this restaurant for michelin stars and discovered that they had none, that I could find. I believe this falsely identified the true quality of this restaurant.
I would happily stay at the Clontarf Castle the next time I am in Dublin and would recommend the same to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and especially pleased you received excellent customer service from Monica. I was disappointed to read you had an issue with the temperature of your lamb. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard and thank you for your feedback. The Michelin stickers you mention on our restaurant door are for being named in the Michelin Guide, a tourist travel guide. Although we do not have Michelin stars, we have been recently awarded our AA Rossette. Again, many thanks for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the future.