“Defo recommendable!”

Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Limerick, Ireland
“Defo recommendable!”
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Can't fault this hotel... everything was perfect from checkin to rooms to room service dinner to breakfast up to checkout.. defo recommendable!!! beautiful, beautiful, beautiful hotel... will stay again defo. Was just there for one night as had to fly from dublin airport the next day but defo enjoyed our brief stay!

• Liked — everythin
  • Disliked — nothin
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review on TripAdvisor.

I'm delighted to hear that your stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel was perfect and that you will definitely stay again in the future.

On behalf of the team here at Clontarf Castle we very much look forward to your return.

Sales Department

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Romford
Reviewed 25 November 2008

I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful this hotel is!

Only a short bus ride from Dublin, really easy to find. My fiance and I flew via Ryanair to Dublin airport.

We then bought a 10 euro ramblers family 1 day pass (for the 2 of us) from the bus information desk in the airport. We then went outside, turned left and got on the 747 to Dublin's O Connel Street. You can't miss o'Connel st as there's a huge spire in the road and it looks as busy as Oxford Street! Get off the bus, turn right and walk up O'Connel street to the traffic lights (only few mins away) then turn left and walk past the tram stop to the bus stop for the 130 bus. Make sure you either have enough ramblers passes or the correct money as some buses don't give change. You can pre buy as many passes as you need or for multi days, as you validate it once you get on the bus. In hindsight we would have bought 2 so we had one for the return journey, instead we paid cash but it cost 1 euro more as I didn't have the right money and the bus doesn't give change.

The last stop on the 130 is right outside the castle gates but you can get off about 12 stops earlier (you'll see a sign saying Clontarf Castle 300yds) and walk. Depends how mobile you are.

We only stayed for 1 night, Dublin could have been Romford, lots of shops and not much else in walking distance. I understand it's better if you do the tourist things but we just wanted to get away from if all on out pre wedding honeymoon.

We had Irish Stew in the Knights bar, the actual bar was too noisy for us but we found a delightful little grotto in the reception area. The stew was watery, the lamb was fatty and the chips were inedible, very disappointing and at 12 euros per stew and 4 euros for a guiness quite expensive.

We booked through Travelzoo.co.uk so we had a free upgrade, champagne and chocolate cake on arrival all for 115 euros!

The upgrade was to the king suite, oh my goodness! Four poster bed, gigantic tv in the living room (yes it had it's own living room with dining table, sofa, chairs, lion, enormour mirror and jml ipod dock) I had the best cream scone I have ever experienced, I don't generally eat things like that but I have never had one more delicious, we still talk about it now. Freshly baked, a little bit crispy, a golf ball sized blob of cream, 2 pots of jam and butter!

The breakfast was to die for, eggs cooked to order, sausages, bacon, black and white pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, soft scrambled eggs (as I like them) all self serve. Toast you cook yourself, beware it takes about 4 attempts to actually toast but it's all fun, loads of different breads to choose from, cereals, fresh fruit, youhurt, juices etc, wonderful! You won't need lunch, my fiance ate 6 sausages!

We came home all dreamy and full, it was well worth it, the building is beautiful but the staff make it special, they are so helpful and professional.

Enjoy your stay, contact me if you have any questions.

• Liked — The breakfast and being treated like royalty in the King Suite
  • Disliked — The Irish Stew, ewww!
Dear Guest,

I'm delighted to hear that you had a most enjoyable stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel and found the building beautiful and the staff helpful and professional.

I also wish to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor as we very much appreciate all customer feedback. My apologies for any inconvenience caused in Knights Bar and I will most certainly pass all of your feedback to the team here at Clontarf Castle Hotel.

Once again, many thanks and if you have any queries at all, or wish to revisit Clontarf Castle Hotel again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Florida
Reviewed 20 November 2008

We stayed for one night on a layover in Dublin. It is very interesting, the lobby, restaurants, and pub are in the old castle part, and the rooms are in a new part. The room is very modern with a very nice bed and comfortable linens. The dinner was good but the breakfast was a bit overpriced for what you received. It is an easy cab ride from the airport.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast was overpriced
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2008
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that your one night visit to Clontarf Castle was most enjoyable and I also wish to thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel we have very much combined the old with the new. Therefore guests will experience a 12th century castle whilst also enjoying their luxuries of a 4 star deluxe hotel.

Once again, many thanks for your review.

Tredegar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2008

Just returned from our 10th anniversary trip to Clontarf Castle, Ireland. The place was fantastic, staff very friendly and helpful and bed very comfy.
Thought at first the prices were high, but compared to Temple Bar and main part of Dublin city, they were very competitive.
Meals, (breakfast/evening) expensive but worth it, especially the evening menu.
Would recommend this place to anyone and I like to stay in nice places.
Make sure you have plenty of change for the local bus, which isn't
far off the main driveway, to the left, to go into the city centre, (they will not take notes).

Dear Guest,

I'm delighted to hear that your 10th anniversary trip was fantastic and that your time spent in Clontarf Castle Hotel was most enjoyable.

I also wish to thank you for your feedback as we very much enjoy hearing our guests experiences in the hotel.

On behalf of the team here at Clontarf Castle, we look forward to your return in the future.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed 17 November 2008

My husband and I have stayed at Clontarf Castle quite a few times. Before, during and just recently when the refurbishment is almost complete.

The hotel lobby is stunning, with its medieval features mixed with the new, they have combined the two with such class. Where else would you get the outside of a castle in the centre of a new hotel?

On arrival we requested a ‘quiet room’ as we had friends/colleagues experience the noise that is caused from the bins and bottle banks at the back of the hotel. Unfortunately 5 minutes into settling into our room I noticed the rubbish area directly below us and of course the noise started straight away. We did contact reception immediately and within about 10 minutes they had moved us to the front of the hotel. Thankfully no noise from the rubbish area, but around 12 o’clock at night and again at 6am – we were woken to the noise of our neighbours. We had a room with adjoining door and we could hear absolutely everything! The second night our neighbours returned to the room at around 3am and again we could hear them loud and clear, thankfully though we were up first and it was probably us that woke them this time.

The rooms are lovely and modern, but I have to admit, a year on from the room refurbishments, the bathrooms are beginning to have the wear and tear look and feel about them (and not enough towels).

Breakfast was just ok. We had two lovely evening meals one in the Indigo Lounge and the second in the Knights Bar. Both great atmospheres although completely different and the staff attention is fantastic. One slight negative comment would be both have the exact same menu, so your only choice is the ambience.

We had a lovely break in Dublin, and we would recommend Clontarf Castle, our only advice is to make sure and request a ‘quiet’ room.

• Liked — Medieval style mixed with the new.
  • Disliked — The noise.
1 Thank Travel-Fairies
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that you have visited Clontarf Castle Hotel on numerous occasions and find the mix of old and new decor throughout the hotel delightful as well as the staff attention fantastic.

I do however, wish to apologise for any inconvenience or noise you experienced whilst staying in our hotel.

I will most certainly be circulating all feedback to management and very hope that we are given the opportunity in the future to regain your confidence in our four star deluxe hotel.

If you and your husband decide to revisit Clontarf Castle in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me personally, and I will do my utmost to ensure that your visit is most memorable.

Essex, UK
Reviewed 16 November 2008

When you walk in to Clontarf Castle, the decor is very sophisticated and funky and your expectations are automatically raised to that of a high end boutique hotel. The front desk staff is very friendly and efficient and I was left thinking we are off to a good start...and from there is where it all went wrong.

Based on previous trip advisor reviews, I had made a special request of a "quiet" room. They managed to place me on the second floor directly above the loading docks. Roughly 2 hours after checking in, I had a conference call during which there were 3 deliveries that were so loud, it was intolerable. My husband went down and complained and they moved us to another room on a higher floor.

The rooms themselves were nice, with a very funky look and clean. Unfortunately in our two night stay, there were multiple functions that a majority of the guests were attending so you heard nothing but slamming doors and talking in the hallways as they visited each other's rooms. It made the overall experience very noisy.

There was a special deal for 10 euros for unlimited movies and WIFI which is a good rate. The internet connection was strong, but unfortunately the entertainment system was always falling over and very slow. We were constantly getting time out messages and it took us 27 minutes to get a movie to actually start (we weren't doing anything wrong, it just took that long for each screen to load and finally get to the movie)

We were there for 2 days and the housekeeping was terrible. They did not clean our bath room and just left us with the same old bar of broken soap with out any replacement, and did not even put our towels back on the racks. We asked at reception that these be replaced but they were not.

Each evening there were large scale private cocktail receptions in the lobby and in the Indigo lounge so there was no space for the other guests. The knights bar was so full of locals you could not get a table there either. The first night we finally gave up and went to a local restuarant, Picasso, which was excellent, and the second night we waited for a table at Knights bar. After being seated, a drunk kept elbowing my husband in the head as he was talking with friends. It was so bad we complained and as the private party was ending in the Indigo lounge, they were nice enough to allow us to order a meal in there.

The evening meal and breakfasts were just ok, nothing special.

Overall, I would say Clarntoff Castle is a convention center that has rooms. If you are there as part of a function, I am sure it is fine, but as a guest not part of a function I would not recommend it.

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — constant private functions going on in public spaces
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2008
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for all of your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear that you liked the style and look of the hotel and that you found our front desk staff to be very "friendly and efficient".

I would however like to apologise profusely for any inconvenience caused during your stay regarding the noise levels and any other problems that you encountered.

I can assure you that all issues are certainly passed onto to management for thorough investigation. Therefore, once again I wish to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback.

Should you decide to re-visit Clontarf Castle Hotel in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will do my utmost to ensure that your visit is most enjoyable.

Paris
Reviewed 15 November 2008

We did a lot of searches on the internet thanks to tripadvisor in order to find the best rates to stay a couple of nights at the Clontarf Castle during our vacation in Ireland this summer.
It was definitely worth it!
We stayed there at the beginning of our vacation for a relaxing couple of days. The interior decor is amazing, very creative and we were always turning our heads to see all the little details.
The view was not spectacular on the other hand, it was a lawn, but somehow from the hotel's website I had expected something else .
The room was so comfortable and we really enjoyed staying in one night and ordering delicious room service!
The hotel is a bit far from Dublin's center however. We had to take a bus not far from the hotel and in about an hour we arrived near Trinity College.
We were in no hurry so this wasn't a problem for us, and we could see the surroundings which was nice.
So I have nothing bad to say about Clontarf Castle, and definitely recommend it for locals and tourists wishing to treat themselves to a couple of nights of plush atmosphere!

• Liked — The castle itself
  • Disliked — A bit far from the city center
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I'm delighted to hear that you decided to visit Clontarf Castle Hotel after browsing on Trip Advisor.

I also wish to thank you for adding your review to the site, as here at Clontarf Castle we very much appreciate customer feedback.

If you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

We look forward to your return to Clontarf Castle in the near future.