Clontarf Castle Hotel
Cassidys Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$147
  • Restaurant
Dublin Skylon Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$152
  • Restaurant
Sheldon Park Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$233
US$175
  • Breakfast included
4,444 results
All reviewsknights barfahrenheit grillindigo loungereal castlefour poster bedmodern amenitiescity centreamazing hotelbus stopdublin airportirelandweddingvijayarmourconciergehowtheuro
Reviewed 13 December 2008

I wanted to stay in a castle before leaving Ireland and Clontarf Castle fit the bill. The hotel property itself was pretty impressive with the history and culture mingled with modern amenities. Would have been great for a romantic short stay.
However, when we checked in, we were given probably the most undesirable room in the hotel - at the end of the hall way on the second floor, irregularly narrow shaped,,near the stairwell that blared out live music from the club below. Understanding that I booked at a discounted rate from the hotel website, I did not expect to be placed in a such a room when it was obvious that the hotel was not fully booked and it was low season. Since we only stayed one night, I did not bother to complain or ask for another room. I think this was bad customer service on the part of the registration staff.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2008

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with our hotel property, history and amenities.

I do wish to apologise for any noise inconvenience you experienced at our hotel. This would have been due to a function taking place in our main banqueting room the Great Hall.

I very much hope that if given the opportunity in the future we will get the chance to redeem your confidence in our property. If so, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will most certainly ensure that your time spent in Clontarf Castle Hotel is most enjoyable.

Reviewed 10 December 2008

I stayed at the Clontarf Castle Hotel for 1 night on 8th December 2008 with my boyfriend. I wanted a hotel that was good quality but not far from the city centre so thought this hotel would be perfect.

Check-in was quick and easy. The hotel was exactly like the photographs and the rooms were a decent size. We had a king sized bed, which was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in! We were placed by the bins out the back of the hotel so I was worried after reading some of these reviews but we heard a couple of bins and that was it. Not a nuisance that would require us to move rooms.

The breakfast was delicious! Croissants, breads, cereals, fruit, cold meats and cheeses and best of all a cooked breakfast consisting of bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans and hash browns. You could eat as much as you liked so my boyfriend and I made sure we pigged out before spending a day sightseeing.

My only grumble would be the fact that the bus stop is NOT outside the hotel!! The no. 130 bus stopped on the main road and we had a 5 minute walk before we reached the hotel. Also if my boyfriend did not have his eagle out looking for the hotel sign we would have missed it altogether. I had been looking for a castle thinking the bus would stop right outside so completely missed the sign. We did ask at reception whether the bus stopped any closer to the hotel and was told it did not. I'm not sure where all the reviewers were getting off the bus as many have mentioned it being right outside the castle.

I would recommend this hotel but probably not to anyone who wants to have a good time in the city centre or is only staying for a couple of nights. We only stayed for one night so with hindsight it would have been better to book a hotel closer to the city. The last bus is at 11.30pm so unless you want to catch a taxi you have to cut your night short to get back.

On the whole it was a fantastic hotel!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2008

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

Here at Clontarf Castle we very much appreciate all of our guest feedback as it allows us to ensure the highest level of professionalism and customer service.

I am delighted to hear that your stay was most pleasant and also wish to advise you that there is a bus stop directly outside of the hotel on Castle Avenue. There is also another bus stop (about a five minute walk) on the seafront / main road. Therefore this must be the stop that you are referring to.

If you do decide to revisit please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

On behalf of all the team here at Clontarf Castle, we very much look forward to your return.

In the meantime, should you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 8 December 2008

4 of us stayed at Clontarf Castle would highly recommend the accomodation, only the reception staff were the down side. They were rude and didn't really have a clue what they were doing it took ages to check in. And when we checked out they didn't even ask how are stay was. Lovely clean hotel friendly people on conceirge and the rooms were lovely/ The bus that takes you into town 130 bus was really handy right outside. We didn't eat at the hotel except breakfast which was lovely apart from no sauages/bacon/black pudding as they had a problem in Ireland with the Pork being contaminated. The drinks were resonably priced in the hotel, better than in the city centre. We ate at the Italian restaurant Casa Pasta which was lovely and walking distance 10-15mins.

Had a great time in Dublin apart from the Hotel reception staff were a bit dsapointing

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

Here at Clontarf Castle Hotel we very much appreciate all customer feedback and try to encourage our guests to share their experiences with us. Therefore I wish to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused at reception.

Please be rest assured that all feedback is circulated to the team here at Clontarf Castle and this matter will most certainly be dealt with.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. If in the future you decide to re-visit our 12th century hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will do my utmost to ensure that your visit is as memorable as possible.

Reviewed 5 December 2008

Stayed at the Clontarf Castle in November 08 for a work conference, which was sponsored by our company's main customer. The event organisers (sub-contracted) booked a 1 day conference, 3 course lunch & 2 event rooms for the day, spending a lot of money at the hotel. They offered a room booking with registration which I accepted after looking at various websites and seeing prices of around 120 Euro/night. Upon arrival, assuming this would be the price range, was told that I would be charged the 'Delegate Rate' of 170 Euro the first night and 190 Euro the second. I objected saying that I could book the same room for far less online, and considering the spend at the hotel on behalf of the company holding the event, surprised and disappointed that they would charge more than what was available online. I told them I'd check in at the Bewleys Airport for 100 Euro/night and they nonchalantly advised I would be charged anyway as there was a 48 hour cancellation policy. The Event company said the following day they'd sorted it out, to find on checkout I was discounted only 20 Euro for the 2 night stay. The hotel is not a castle by the way, but merely a reconditioned turret with glass surround and a breeze block addition which houses the rooms. The rooms are small, claustrophobic and mediocre. The area is suburban and out of the city centre, with traffic congestion for much of the working day. I think the hotel appeals to American tourists wanting an 'authentic' castle, which this is not - even if they believe it is. If you are booking this hotel do it through an internet site rather than through any event planners or conference orgainsers, or the hotel itself. I've stayed in nicer 3 and 4 star hotels in Dublin, far closer to the centre and with better amenities, so think twice about Clontarf.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Budealty
Reviewed 4 December 2008

My 8 year old niece and I stayed here November 27-28. What a lovely place! The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There was a local bus right outside of the hotel that takes you directly to the City Center. We walked around and shopped. We ate at the hotel for dinner. It was good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Dublin. My niece enjoyed the castle part of the hotel. Good job!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Sales_Coordinator, Marketing & Internet Executive at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2008

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on TripAdvisor.

I'm glad to hear that you had a lovely stay and that you found our staff friendly and helpful.

You are indeed correct that the bus stop is directly outside the hotel, therefore we are in an ideal location to experience both the hustle and bustle of the city centre or alternatively the tranquility of Clontarf.

I very much hope that you decide to revist in the future and once again thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience here at Clontarf Castle.