“A disappointing stay”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Everyone else has raved about the lovely rooms and the helpful staff and I agree with them. It's a very pleasant hotel indeed. However, when I stayed here for a conference last week, my experience was marred by three things.

Firstly I see others here extolling the food, so obviously they weren't vegetarian. And clearly, neither is the chef! On the evening of my stay, I had a filo pastry dish (this was the only substantial veggie dish on offer) that was tasteless and greasy, and bordered on the inedible. Fortunately, the small dish of spicy potato wedges and meditarranean vegetables that accompanied it were fine - otherwise I would have gone to bed starving.

The next day, for our meeting lunch, the sole vegetarian dish on offer was a slightly different filo pastry parcel dish. This one really was inedible (although the simple vegetable accompaniment was perfectly good). This simply isn't good enough in my view, and although hotel vegetarian food isn't always great, it is usually edible. My expectations aren't high in this respect, which makes my experience all the worse.

The second problem was that after I had showered and washed my hair, prior to the 9am start of my meeting, I found that the hairdryer didn't work - occasionally it would run for a few seconds then cut out completely. I rang down to ask for someone to bring me a hairdryer, was told that someone would come straight away, but no one turned up in the next 45 minutes, by which time my hair had dried into a frizzy bush by itself. Thanks very much Clontarf Castle for making me spend the day at my meeting looking like I'd been dragged through a hedge backward.

Add to this, my being woken abruptly at 2am by a group of revellers outside my door, and you can maybe appreciate that my experience was not great.

If there'd been a decent vegetarian dish to eat, and if the faulty hairdryer situation had been dealt with quickly, I would probably be singing the praises of the hotel like everyone else. I might come back if I got another good deal, but I would never eat there again and I would definitely check that the hairdryer works before washing my hair!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank mct1
There are newer reviews for Clontarf Castle Hotel

Reviewed 16 February 2010

Stayed here for Valentines day with my boyfriend. We could not check in on time due to it being fully booked the previous night and people checking out late. However, the staff were very helpful and gave us some free drinks vouchers whilst we waited. The initial room we were given, was not as expected (due to size) so we rang down to reception and we were kindly taken to another room which we loved! The staff were very apologetic and helpful. We had an executive room with a huge 4 poster bed which was lovely, very spacious, clean, modern and comfortable. We had the valentines set menu in the Fahrenheit Grill Restaurant which i can honestly say was the nicest food i have ever tasted! It was amazing! The Castle looks gorgeous at night when its all lit up, it made a very romantic setting for which was a perfect Valentines day. Its only a short bus ride into Dublin City Centre which cost 1.80 euros and it stops right outside the hotel, so its an ideal location if you also want to do a bit of sightseeing. We will definitely be coming back here when we return to Dublin. I cannot praise the staff enough, nothing was too much trouble and they were always very professional and helpful. You will not be disappointed if you stay here!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HFK1875
Reviewed 14 February 2010

The Clontarf Castle Hotel is a very friendly place with castle like features, boasting of a lovely restraunt. Great value for money too. Would definately stay again..

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Booked a night in Clontarf Castle Hotel for feb 3rd, it was a treat for my brother and his wife(who were home visiting - he lives in america) and my parents(as belated birthday present). My brothers wife is american, she loved the exterior of the hotel, she'd never seen a building like this before. We had a hassle free check in, which was at about midday, but we were given our key cards for our rooms straight away which i thought was excellent considering we were checking in early! Staff were very polite and helpful. The rooms were modern and comfortable and very very clean! The bed was enormous which i loved! I ordered room service, which was very reasonably priced and was brought to my room promptly! Excellent service! (The bbq baby back ribs were unreal! i'll be back just for them!! :) )
The hotel is situated in a very quiet area away from the noisey city which i also really liked! Taxi only cost around €15 from the city, which is good for dublin. Had a wonderful nights sleep! Breakfast was very very reasonably priced, it was only €10 per person...and it was lovely!! Staff were great here also. Hassle free check out also!

Overall had a great night in clontarf castle hotel, food was amazing, staff were amazing and i look forward to visitng here again in the near future!

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Stayed here on a busy Saturday night and had a fantastic stay. Rooms looked like they were newly decorated with all the amenities. Restaurant food was really wonderful and the bar was full with people and had a great atmosphere. Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2010

Excellent Hotel close to the city about 2 miles. Bus 130 will take you into the city or you can take a taxi about $20 USD plus extras. We stayed here twice and will be back the next time we are in Dublin. Staff was very pleasant and helpful, rooms were clean and average size for europe. Breakfest was excellent as was the food. The Hotel was well decorated in a castle motiff and the original manor house part of the hotel was carefully restored to maintain its original look. The lobby can get very busy with weddings and conferences.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2010

If you like medieval style and want to feel yourself like a knight in a castle but having modern comfort - this is the place you are looking for. We stayed there 2 nights for my hubby's BDay, it was my surprise to him and he was absolutely delighted. The room is rather modern, but it was alright. They have 3 restaurants, we spent all free time in Knights Bar near lovely fireplaces. Wrt how to get to the hotel - if you take the bus 130, if have two options - either travel to the very last stop (straight near hotel parking) - which takes about 50 mins form the city center, or get off the bus on the stop next to board saying 'Clontarf Castle hotel - 300 metres' and walk 7 minutes up the hill. This way bus trip will take 20 mins from the city center. First time we travelled till the last stop as we didn;t know where to get off, but then it was nice and easy to find.
There is nothing to add really to the previous reviews...
Oh yes, I'm a 'cleanness freak', so yes, our room was very clean. Really.
Also, we had a room without breakfast, but we went for one and it was awsome. It is 10 euro per person (self-service, hot food and european) and it's definitely worth it.
The only tow minuses to the hotel: first is that that walls are very thin and you can hear every sound in the coridor and rooms nearby. But it's not bothering as it becomes quite by the time one goes to sleep. Second: for those having issues witht he back - the matras is too soft, and I had a backache the next day. However, it's only couple nights...
We thouroughly enjoyed our stay and were very sad to leave.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple