“Amazing”

Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Gainesville, Florida
“Amazing”
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I traveled to Ireland with my eldest daughter from Feb 17, 2010 to Feb 27, 2010. This was a trip that was a decade in the making and my daughter set up our last night in Ireland at the Clontarf Castle. A wonderful blend of old and new, great service and wonderful food. As my daughter had set this up as a birthday gift for me, I was surprised with a slice of birthday cake once we had unpacked.
The service at the front desk was great and a special thanks to Denise who worked with my daughter to make this a very memorable experience.
The restaurants were filled with locals which tells me the food and service are good all the time. Food was fabulous and the breakfast buffet was great.
Will visit again one day!

• Stayed February 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Middlesex
Reviewed 4 March 2010

Stayed for two nights on a three day city break. Our package included dinner on one night and two days worth of breakfasts and cream teas. As breakfast would have cost an eyewatering 23 euros each, that was well-worth it!
They looked after our bag as we arrived long before our check-in time (early morning flight!) whilst we spent the day in Dublin and our check-in, when we got back, was smooth. The standard room was larger than normal, as was the bed, which was even more comfortable than our bed at home (and that says something). I was expecting a little more character than we got, but basically we found a standard hotel built behind the original castle which houses the public areas.
Room furnishings were a little tired and stained, but the decor in the rest of the hotel was interesting (eclectic!). The 'best' interior design award seems a little exaggerated! Certainly the most unusual! The maids took hygiene seriously-I saw a lot of polishing and vacuuming of the public areas! However room service trays outside bedroom doors remained uncollected all day!
They could have been a bit more generous with pillows, bath towels and toiletries-these were minimal (only one pillow each, one bath towel between us until I found another hidden in the wardrobe, no shower hat). I have been offered much more in quantity and quality (respectively) in many inferior grade hotels. However the hair dryer worked and there were tea/coffee facilities in the room.
The food in the bar and the restaurant was mostly good, and the atmosphere in the bar was lively (loud even!). A pot of Earl Grey tea at breakfast would have been nice rather than a DIY teabag in a cup!
The restaurant claims to stay open until 10.30pm however we caused some consternation when we arrived for our dinner at 9.45pm.
There was free internet access (as we didn't have a laptop with us to use the free broadband).
The staff were very helpful and the waiters remembered our idiosyncrasies, which I was quite impressed with!
The location doesn't matter if you have a car or don't mind using a taxi or bus, as these were convenient and plentiful. We bought a three day bus ticket which we could also use for the airport transfer and this was amazing value.
We would have no hesitation in staying there on a return trip to Dublin, if we weren't tempted to stay in the middle of Dublin (by way of comparison).

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Everyone else has raved about the lovely rooms and the helpful staff and I agree with them. It's a very pleasant hotel indeed. However, when I stayed here for a conference last week, my experience was marred by three things.

Firstly I see others here extolling the food, so obviously they weren't vegetarian. And clearly, neither is the chef! On the evening of my stay, I had a filo pastry dish (this was the only substantial veggie dish on offer) that was tasteless and greasy, and bordered on the inedible. Fortunately, the small dish of spicy potato wedges and meditarranean vegetables that accompanied it were fine - otherwise I would have gone to bed starving.

The next day, for our meeting lunch, the sole vegetarian dish on offer was a slightly different filo pastry parcel dish. This one really was inedible (although the simple vegetable accompaniment was perfectly good). This simply isn't good enough in my view, and although hotel vegetarian food isn't always great, it is usually edible. My expectations aren't high in this respect, which makes my experience all the worse.

The second problem was that after I had showered and washed my hair, prior to the 9am start of my meeting, I found that the hairdryer didn't work - occasionally it would run for a few seconds then cut out completely. I rang down to ask for someone to bring me a hairdryer, was told that someone would come straight away, but no one turned up in the next 45 minutes, by which time my hair had dried into a frizzy bush by itself. Thanks very much Clontarf Castle for making me spend the day at my meeting looking like I'd been dragged through a hedge backward.

Add to this, my being woken abruptly at 2am by a group of revellers outside my door, and you can maybe appreciate that my experience was not great.

If there'd been a decent vegetarian dish to eat, and if the faulty hairdryer situation had been dealt with quickly, I would probably be singing the praises of the hotel like everyone else. I might come back if I got another good deal, but I would never eat there again and I would definitely check that the hairdryer works before washing my hair!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mct1
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Stayed here for Valentines day with my boyfriend. We could not check in on time due to it being fully booked the previous night and people checking out late. However, the staff were very helpful and gave us some free drinks vouchers whilst we waited. The initial room we were given, was not as expected (due to size) so we rang down to reception and we were kindly taken to another room which we loved! The staff were very apologetic and helpful. We had an executive room with a huge 4 poster bed which was lovely, very spacious, clean, modern and comfortable. We had the valentines set menu in the Fahrenheit Grill Restaurant which i can honestly say was the nicest food i have ever tasted! It was amazing! The Castle looks gorgeous at night when its all lit up, it made a very romantic setting for which was a perfect Valentines day. Its only a short bus ride into Dublin City Centre which cost 1.80 euros and it stops right outside the hotel, so its an ideal location if you also want to do a bit of sightseeing. We will definitely be coming back here when we return to Dublin. I cannot praise the staff enough, nothing was too much trouble and they were always very professional and helpful. You will not be disappointed if you stay here!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HFK1875
Warrington
Reviewed 14 February 2010

The Clontarf Castle Hotel is a very friendly place with castle like features, boasting of a lovely restraunt. Great value for money too. Would definately stay again..

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
longford
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Booked a night in Clontarf Castle Hotel for feb 3rd, it was a treat for my brother and his wife(who were home visiting - he lives in america) and my parents(as belated birthday present). My brothers wife is american, she loved the exterior of the hotel, she'd never seen a building like this before. We had a hassle free check in, which was at about midday, but we were given our key cards for our rooms straight away which i thought was excellent considering we were checking in early! Staff were very polite and helpful. The rooms were modern and comfortable and very very clean! The bed was enormous which i loved! I ordered room service, which was very reasonably priced and was brought to my room promptly! Excellent service! (The bbq baby back ribs were unreal! i'll be back just for them!! :) )
The hotel is situated in a very quiet area away from the noisey city which i also really liked! Taxi only cost around €15 from the city, which is good for dublin. Had a wonderful nights sleep! Breakfast was very very reasonably priced, it was only €10 per person...and it was lovely!! Staff were great here also. Hassle free check out also!

Overall had a great night in clontarf castle hotel, food was amazing, staff were amazing and i look forward to visitng here again in the near future!

• Stayed February 2010
dublin
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Stayed here on a busy Saturday night and had a fantastic stay. Rooms looked like they were newly decorated with all the amenities. Restaurant food was really wonderful and the bar was full with people and had a great atmosphere. Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business