“ATTENTION TO DETAIL”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Overall my experience was a positive one. However as I have travelled extensively in m y career and stayed at 4* hotels before, I felt a touch let down. The reception staff were excellent, the bar staff were a touch miserable, apart from louise. The room had a filthy net curtain and stains on the carpet. The bathroom had grout missing from the tiles and shower. The shower tray was black with foot marks for the whole week of our stay. I feel that biscuits and mineral water should have been included on the tea/coffee tray in the room, and the self serve buffet breakfast was dry,overcooked and very greasy. When I stay in this kind of hotel I expect to be served by a waiter with fresh food. Also, the bar food was luke warm and ver poor value for money. on the plus side. the location and building are outstanding and graham on the reception was a font of knowledge and extremely pleasant and helpful. Despite my minor gripes, I would stay here . !!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank DerbyshireFlyboy
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2010

Thank You for your review. We’re very sorry that you weren’t fully satisfied with our facilities. Please be assured that this is by no means normal practice as we pride ourselves on excellent quality. We’re delighted to hear that you would stay here again. Please contact me directly if you wish to stay with us again, and I will do everything I can to take care of your booking.

There are newer reviews for Clontarf Castle Hotel

Reviewed 11 October 2010

We wanted to stay in a castle and despite the original 12th century castle being replaced by one rebuilt in 1837 it was very nice. I would call the front reception staff professionally hospitable but not particularly 'warm'.
We got a $10 euro family rambler ticket from the airport (it covers 2-4 people for the whole day for all buses including the airlink bus!) so it was way cheaper than the 37 euro a taxi driver was asking for to get there!
The hotel itself is very nice, the lobby is beautiful with old furniture, castle walls intermingled with modern structures and the restaurants are in the older part of the castle. Tips for the rooms- leave your keycard in the slot to leave the lights on and check your bill on the phone regularly as they accidentally had two charges for our accomodation listed on our bill despite having prepaid- it was probably automatic but i recommend to watch for these things. The rooms were lovely, we had a nice one on the fourth floor with a great view and a bath which i was happy about. The room was a comfortable and reasonable size, no complaints. We got the code from the front desk for the wifi but could not get reception but there are two computers downstiars that you can use.
We ate in farenheit grill and the continental breakfast (lots of choices!) was $10 euro each. We would definately recommend this castle, but keep in mind it is not in dublin center so be prepared to take buses which are $1.80 euro each person to oconnell street.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2010

Many thanks for you’re the time to write such a detailed review, it is appreciated. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle sometime soon!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 11 October 2010

Stayed here our last 3 nights in Ireland. Ate here one night in the Knights bar and the Bangers and Mash were great. We were here for Aurthrs Night and the Guisness was free. Had a blast in the Knights Bar great craic and the bartenders were super. The room was spacious and the beds were the most comfortable in all of Ireland. Took the bus everywhere, easy to get to and let's you off in front of the Hotel. The staff were great, nothing to much trouble and always asking if everything was OK. Kettle in room for coffee and tea help with the luggage was a plus. I highly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

What a lovely Review. We’re delighted to hear you had a pleasant visit with us and were able to join us for the Arthur’s Day toast. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again if you return to Ireland.

Reviewed 9 October 2010

We stayed at Clontarf Castle for 2 nights on our vacation to Ireland. The hotel itself was wonderful, the rooms were very nicely appointed and spotless and it was cool to say that you stayed in a castle! The matress was extremely comfortable to sleep on as well. The only complaint we had was that on the Friday night there was a 50th birthday party and we might as well have been there on the dance floor. The music and people were so loud and it lasted till about one in the morning. Other than that, we had a great stay and we would go back if we visit Ireland again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

We’re glad to hear you had a comfortable and pleasant stay with us. We are sorry about the level of noise which you had to endure on the Friday night and hope this didn’t spoil your visit. Unfortunately on the occasion there are private events in the hotel we wouldn’t have a lot of control over the type of entertainment, we would however insist that volume be lowered if any of our guests found it disruptive. We’d be delighted to have you as a guest in our hotel again if you come back to Ireland and please do contact me directly.

Reviewed 8 October 2010

Sorry but this hotel does not do it for me. Noisy both in the room and the Knights Bar. Uncooked fish and soggy batter did not impress either. Stained carpet in the room and torn nicotine stained net curtains despite it being a non-smoking room. Rooms are hi-tec but bleak. Only encountered one local member of staff and he was pretty miserable but if I had to work there I think I would be too.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

We are very disappointed to read of the disappointing experience of your stay with us. Please be assured that this is by no means our usual standard and we pride ourselves on the quality of product and service we provide. We take complaints very seriously and will follow up with our food and beverage and accommodation team. Should you decide to return to the Castle please contact me directly and I will ensure that you experience our generally excellent standards.

Reviewed 8 October 2010

Had what I would call a light snack of soup and sandwich if you could call it that, the soup was ok the sandwich toasted heels of the bread thank god I have my own teeth, my companion had the soup and sandwich also at a cost of 25 euro biggest rip off ever, I have never paid 12.50 for a soup and sandwich, I would not recommend this establishment for food, dont they know there is a recession on in Ireland.

1  Thank dolly087

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are very sorry to hear about the disappointing lunch experience you had. We pride ourselves on our excellent quality product and value and are very sorry that on this occasion we fell short. Should you decide to return to the hotel, please do contact me directly and we will arrange a complimentary luncheon for you.

Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed at the Clontarf Castle hotel for 4 nights. I can, honestly say we could not find any faults at all. What a fantastic hotel.
Admittedly it is a little way from the centre of Dublin, but the buses stop outside the door and a 15 minute walk will take you to the DART Station. It is an easy walk to the sea and there are some beautiful walks.
From the moment we arrived at the hotel we knew that it was going to be special. We were very impressed with our room and very pleased that the wireless network was so good (and free). The room was modern and and spotless.
If I was to pick one thing that made this hotel so special it would have to be the staff. NOTHING was too much trouble for them, there was always a smile from everyone you met. We did not eat in the Restaurant and we were in Ireland to meet up with a group of friends. The Bar was lovely and I must admit we all spent a fair bit of time in there.
I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Really would recommend without any hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great review. Our mission statement “making history through our passion for excellence” is driven by understanding and exceeding customer expectations, and we’re delighted that this was reflected in your experience in the castle. Please contact us if you wish to stay with us again, we’ll do everything we can to take care of your booking.