“Excellent Hotel, Great Value”
Review of Ashling Hotel

Ashling Hotel
Ranked #17 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel, Great Value”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with 6 friends. The hotel is lovely, huge and has a fabulous restaurant/bar. The rooms are spacious and pleasant (the hairdryer provided was rubbish, though!). Staff were very friendly and breakfast was top notch, if not a little overpriced, but then again everything is expensive in Dublin! We had a fantastic time and would highly recommend this hotel. I have booked my return already!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
AshlingHotelDublin, General Manager at Ashling Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you so much for your comments about your stay at the Ashling. I was so pleased to hear your thoughts about our rooms and about our breakfast. Thank you for bringing the hairdryer to my attention, I will look into it. Needless to say I am delighted to read that you have booked your return already.

Kindest Regards
Alan Moody

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and had a wonderful stay.
The hotel is a one minute walk from the station Heuston. We got a bus from the airport straight to Heuston station. The bus passed through Dublin center so we could see all the sights on the way.
Temple Bar is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Temple bar is a wonderful street full of pubs, restaurants and music.
I consider myself a fast walker so walked to Dublin center in about 15/20 mins but really enjoyed the walk along the river Liffey.
The hotel is beautiful. We got a good deal on lowcostholidays and the hotel was definitely worth it!!
One evening we went to an 'Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies' which is a 3 course meal at The Brazen Head pub. During the meal you get wonderful stories about Irish history and fairy sightings! The Brazen Head is one of the oldest pubs and is full of culture and excitement.

The hotel was quiet, relaxing and full of friendly staff at the bar and on reception

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LondonPenelope20
Thank you for this wonderful review about your stay at the Ashling Hotel. I was so glad to hear that you found our location suitable, and I was also pleased to read your comments about our staff. I would be delighted to welcome you back to us in the future, if you are ever back in Dublin.

essex
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband & I have just returned from a 4 day break in Dublin & stayed at the Ashling Hotel. A beautiful hotel & most definitely worthy of its 4 stars. Very stylishly decorated. The double bedroom was a lovely size as was the bathroom. All spotless & immaculate throughout & we didnt want for anything. We had the B&B option & the huge breakfast was the best I've ever had. The selection was superb & everything was of a high quality. Although we didnt have dinner here the menu & value for money looked great too. There is a large restaurant as well as a big bar/lounge offering lunches & sandwiches etc. All tastefully decorated. Loads of big comfy sofas around in the foyer & lobby. The staff on reception were very helpful & the location was fantastic with the tram, sightseeing buses & the Airlink 747 bus all just a 2 minute walk away over the bridge which is more or less on the doorstep. Fabulous hotel, cant fault it & would stay here every time. It really is the whole package ;-)

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank HELEN L
Thank you so much for this glowing review of the Ashling Hotel. I was delighted to read all of your comments and to hear that you feel we have the whole package is wonderful. I would be over the moon to welcome you back to us in the future.

Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We just returned from a 1 week self guided/driving tour of Southern Ireland. The Ashling hotel was our starting and ending point with a 2 night stay at the beginning and a 1 night stay at the end. Our first stay was very nice. We found the front desk to be very friendly and helpful. Not only are they great with the check in and out process, but serve as a concierge also. We stayed in a couple different hotels during our driving tour and found the Ashling's buffet breakfast to be the best by far. The lobby is beautiful, with lots of seating for meeting friends or just enjoying a nice cup if tea. When we checked out the first time, we mentioned a few small concerns at the front desk. This is where we became totally impressed. The girl went back and spoke to the manager on duty who came out and spoke to us personally. Achlag (I hope I'm spelling it right) listened to our concerns and assured us that things would be different on our return. When we arrived the next week after our drive from Galway to Dublin we were completely blown away. Achlag and his staff not only made sure our concerns were taken care of, but more than made up for it on our final nights stay. My wife and I travel a lot and realize that things are not always perfect. The sign of a great company/hotel is how well they handle things that come up. The Ashling gets a 10+. We would proudly recommend this hotel to our friends and would stay here again if ever in Dublin.

Room Tip: They have a standard or classic room which doesn't have 4* amenities such as air conditioning, w...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rox59
Thank you so much for this lovely review about your two stays at the Ashling Hotel. I was so pleased to hear that members of our team went the extra mile for you. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed our breakfast. I am glad to hear that you will stay here again, as I would be delighted to welcome you back.

Kindest Regards,
IRON RIVER
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed here on our first night in Dublin and were totally impressed by the very updated and
clean room. We then toured for 5 days and came back for 2 days only to be given a HUGE
downgrade. We were shocked when we entered the other room(twilight zone). The room was
shabby and had no a/c.
When we called the desk they said that they were totally booked and that we had been given
a complimentary upgrade the first night. No one mentioned an upgrade on our first night and
we were very disappointed for the last two nights.
Be sure to ask for the updated room that is shown on the website, not the dowdy, in need of
an update room.

Room Tip: Request the remodeled rooms with A/C
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments about your two stays at the Ashling Hotel. I looked into your booking and it seems you were given a complimentary upgrade to a Superior room on your first stay, as we had a few of these vacant. This should have been explained to you upon check-in to avoid any confusion when coming for your return stay. I was sorry to hear that you felt our Classic rooms were not satisfactory, but would point out that we do have images of these rooms on our website, as we try to be as clear as possible to people when they are making their booking. I hope you enjoyed your overall stay in Ireland.

Castro Valley, California
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Hotel location is not in the tourist attraction area, but very convenient to get to/from airport by bus (#747) , which has stop at Heuston station ~ 50 meters from the hotel. Luas (tram) also stops there (at Heuston). City center (with all tourist attractions) within walking distance (~ 30 minutes walk). Hotel has generous sized rooms (for Europe). However some rooms are recently remodeled, and some are not. Not remodeled ones have chests to put your clothes, but remodeled ones do not. Otherwise, remodeled rooms are way better. Coffee, tee are complimentary in the room as well as hair dryer (in not remodeled rooms they put it in the drawer - so, it took awhile for me to locate it) and iron. Rooms are very clean. Hotel has free wifi. Breakfast buffet includes colds, hot dishes, number of pastries, jams, juices, fruits. I would say for 4 star hotels in Europe it is average. Unfortunately hotel does not have pool and exercise room. Staff is very polite. Hotel has storage room for the luggage. They periodically have weekend nights promotions at very cheap rates. There is some choice of restaurants nearby - the highly rated by Tripadvisor (and also the best per my opinion) is 1 block away - F.X.Buckley

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
AshlingHotelDublin, General Manager at Ashling Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for all of your comments about your stay at the Ashling Hotel. I was pleased to read your thoughts about our location, as we are within walking distance to most of the tourist attractions. I was also pleased to see that you found our staff polite. I would be delighted to welcome you back to us again, if you are ever back in Dublin.

Chicago
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We just returned from our trip and loved the fact it was so close to two tram stops. The tram took us everywhere we needed to go and the ride was smooth and safe. Also my husband needed an extension cord and within minutes, it was delivered. Also the security was unobtrusive but effective - a set of doors in the hallway leading to our rooms needed our room card to open. Our only complaint was typical of our entire trip in Britain - the duvet. Too hot to keep on all night until we opened the window. Otherwise, it was on and off and on and off.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for this lovely review about your stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you felt the location was suitable for what you needed. I was also pleased to hear that you felt the security was unobtrusive, as we endeavour to protect all of our guests. With regards to the duvet, you are correct. With the typical Irish weather we need to be prepared for temperatures to drop at any moment so for now, the heavier duvets are in. I would be delighted to welcome you back to us in the future, if you are ever back in Dublin.

Kind Regards