“Basic hotel”

Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Tullamore, Ireland
“Basic hotel”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed at hotel for two nights ,bedroom was clean done the job, went for breakfast wasn't too impressed with service , staff not very helpful ,no trays to put your plate on very busy there ,food cold ,they should have it managed better get guest to que one side and have trays to put your breakfast on to carry to your table ,never mind ppl walking into you with their food falling off on floors,

Room Tip: Our room was to at back to where car park is, very noisy and handle was broke off window so wouldn...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
AshlingHotelDublin, General Manager at Ashling Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Ashling Hotel. I was pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your room. I am sorry to read that you were not pleased with breakfast. We had previously introduced trays but they proved to be more unsafe during the busy times, so we took them away again, however, they are available on request for times when a guest needs one. I do hope you will give us another chance, and stay with us again.

Alan Moody

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Horrible service from some of the people at the front desk, no service "the Irish style" from them. Great Irish breakfast with good service. Bar good, service and atmosphare. Restaurant ok food and good service. Old bath with nothing between the tiles, but clean and good and polite service of the cleaning staff. The breakfast staff at the top, even the manager jump inn to help when it was crowdy by the heatfood desk. Near the Guinness and Phoenix park, walkable distance from Temple. Not the best area, but no problem to walk home from the Temple Street.
But will not use the hotel again, because of Something of the front desk staff.
They did not know what credit card they accepted.
Raymond

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
AshlingHotelDublin, General Manager at Ashling Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I can only apologise about the service you received at reception. I will be looking into this as we very rarely receive such comments about our front desk team. I am pleased however, that you found everything else about your stay pleasant, and would be delighted if you gave us a second chance.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The hotel was good for our needs; we wanted an affordable place close to public transportation options even though a bit far from the hot spots. Having the AirLink bus one block away, the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus stop half a block away, and the ability to easily identify how to get back to the hotel using the Dublin buses (i.e., "Heuston Station") were all pluses. This hotel, however, would not work for the average tourist who wants to be in the center of it all. After arriving early from a trans-Atlantic flight, we were able to check in to a room before noon (much appreciated). The room was not what I would consider four-star accommodations. The mattresses were of moderate quality, the furnishings were utilitarian, the walls were bare except for one framed picture, and the porcelain in the tub was chipped in two areas. All in all, the room was a bit dodgy, but at least it was clean (#1 priority). We needed to visit the front desk three times during our four night stay to get our room key reprogrammed (very annoying). We did not have breakfast in the hotel (12 euros), but walked to the SPAR store down the block to get Insomnia lattes and a muffin each morning (4 euros). If I were to return to Dublin, I would select a hotel near St. Stephens Green. FYI: the Temple Bar area is seedy - we saw a pickpocketer being arrested on a cold day in November. The Brazen Head Pub (oldest pub in Ireland) is very touristy as the only Irish in the place were the staff. If you are into gourmet food, Fallon & Byrne is a superb stop to roam the aisles and grab a light lunch. Our trip was great - the hotel was OK.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MadAboutBaltimore
Thank you for your comments about your stay at the Ashling Hotel. I was delighted to hear that you found our location good for accessing the public transport systems of Dublin. I was also pleased to read that you were able to check in early as this is not always possible. I am sorry that you had to keep returning to the reception desk to reprogramme your keys. If they are close to anything electronic they can tend to knock off. Temple Bar is a very lively area, but as you pointed out, it is a bit of a distance from us which is good, and we would advise that everyone be careful when walking about. I would be delighted if you gave us another chance if you are ever back in Dublin.

Edenderry, Ireland
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I visited to stay overnight for an event in the O2. Received polite service at reception, and the room was decent. However, the wake-up call was slightly late and frankly, breakfast. sucked. I would've been better off eating in Flanagan's or Kylemore it was so bad. Pink, fatty bacon, overdone sausages, and cold beans and hash browns. NOT the way to tempt me back, y'all!!

Room Tip: Not sure about any room tips, I had an internal room. Although it seemed well-soundproofed, I had no...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your comments about your stay at the Ashling hotel. I was sorry to hear that breakfast was not satisfactory. I will look into your comments as we want to make sure our food standards are of the highest. I was pleased however to read that you received polite service and that you were pleased with your room. I would be delighted if you would give us a second chance, if you are ever back in Dublin.

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I spent 2 nights at this hotel with 2 girlfriends in a triple room. Fantastic experience. Big, comfortable room, nice toiletries, best ever breakfast menu and great bar. Highly recommend. Close to the centre ... The Luas and Train station. Very convenient for airport.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for this lovely review about your stay at the Ashling. I was delighted to have read all of your comments, especially those about the room. I am also pleased to hear that you had the best breakfast ever. I would be delighted to welcome you back to us in the future.

Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was a great place to stay. It was located near the Heuston Station in Dublin (five minute walk), thereby accessing the bus system and the Irish rail system. The hotel staff were very friendly, and the rooms were very nice. We stayed in a deluxe queen, and we had a deluxe double/twin for our son and his friend. Both rooms were very nice. I would recommend getting a scone and Cappuccino in the bar area - nice seating with couches/chairs and coffee tables - awesome scones with cream, and jelly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
AshlingHotelDublin, General Manager at Ashling Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for this lovely review about your recent stay with us here at the Ashling. I was delighted to read your comments and must say I agree with your comments about the Scone and Cappuccino. They are especially lovely as a morning treat. I would be delighted to welcome you back to us if you are ever back in Dublin.

Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed at the Ashling at the end of our trip to Ireland. The location was great, we walked everywhere - a good brisk walk to Trinity College and Temple Bar. Our room was spacious and comfortable, the only drawback was the lighting in the bathroom; very dim and not sufficient for applying makeup! Breakfast was outstanding, service was great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for this lovely review about your stay at the Ashling Hotel. I was delighted to hear that you found our location suitable for getting around the local attractions. I will look into the lighting in the bathrooms, so thank you for bringing that to my attention. I would be delighted to welcome you back to us in the future.