“2nd stay in Ashling”

Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Lake Tahoe (California), California
“2nd stay in Ashling”
Reviewed 3 September 2014

The first time I stayed at the Ashling it was with a tour. We enjoyed the comfort of the hotel and the location. This time I was traveling alone with my daughter and booked the room independently. I really didn't like the room I was given in the old part of the hotel. It smelled old, was rather dismal, a desk fan, no air conditioning and noisy. The desk said it had a "deluxe" room for an extra 30€. It was completely worth it. Roomy, modern, comfortable. Perfect for us. Breakfasts are amazing. Short walk to train station, trams by front door. We took hop on hop off bus to get our bearings and then walked everywhere. Actually walked rather incredible amounts. Also took the hop on hop off Dart train to Bray. We really enjoyed that getting off in a few different villages. Bray was very fun with tents and vendors in the park by the sea. Had lunch outdoors in a nice restaurant but can't remember name. Didn't see many non Irish tourists which was fun for us.
Sometimes we ate dinner in hotel and food and service were very good. Staff busy but helpful and friendly. Very happy with hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure to stay in new area unless you are on a budget.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ava K
AshlingHotelDublin, General Manager at Ashling Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments about your recent stay at the Ashling Hotel. I was delighted to hear that we had a deluxe room available for you. I was also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Bray and that you found the breakfast amazing. I hope to welcome you back to us if you are returning to Dublin.

Alan Moody

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2014

I went to Ireland for the first time in June 2014 to go on a 5 day tour of Northern Ireland. It was recommended to me to stay at the Ashling by the tour company and I was quite pleased. It is very clean and the staff is very friendly. Since I had never been in Europe before I wasn`t aware that air conditioning is a luxury and several hotels in Ireland that I stayed in on my tour didn`t have it so I`m not going to knock the Ashling for this. My only complaint is that the internet in the lobby is coin operated and you have to pay to print. That`s not a big deal and certainly not a reason to stay there. The breakfast was very good and I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with air conditioning or at least a fan
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Matt M
Thank you for your comments about your stay at the Ashling in June. I was delighted to hear that we were recommended and that we lived up to your expectations. I hope your overall trip to Ireland was a success, and I hope that if you are back you will stay with us again.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed three nights at the hotel and found it to be clean and comfortable. It is a 15+ minute walk to the Temple Bar area. The train station is close. There is limited restaurant options near the hotel, so we had the breakfast buffet at the hotel which was nice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shar9876
Thank you for your lovely comments about your recent stay at the Ashling. I was so pleased to hear that you found the hotel clean and comfortable, and that you enjoyed your breakfast. I hope to welcome you back to us again soon.

Provost, AB
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Nice rooms, wonderful staff! The in house restaurant was too pricey for our blood but there are wonderful restaurants nearby. I greatly recommend the Ryans / FX Buckley Steakhouse, their spicy tomato soup is to die for, if I hadn't already ordered the T-Bone (which was also great) I would have ordered a couple more bowls!

• Stayed September 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alihauck
Thank you for your comments about the Ashling Hotel. I was so pleased to hear that you found the rooms nice and the staff wonderful. I hope you had a great overall stay in Dublin, and I will be delighted to welcome you back to us again in the future.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2014

27/28 Aug Two nights, two rooms all good, parking alongside. Rooms exactly as you would want clean and all working, free wifi, efficient check in check out. Claire at reception sent us off to Howth by train for the day - great recommendation thanks, also really enjoyed cycle round the huge park next to the hotel. Night time (foreign) receptionist not helpful with printing boarding cards but happily sorted by morning girls.
The tram stops just along from the front of the Hotel so while not "central" Dublin is great position, Guinness factory 10 mins walk, railway 5 mins, shopping/nightlife straight in on tram.
Thanks to kind chap at Tipperary Hostel next door who recommended Ashling Hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jami mike
Thank you for your lovely comments about your recent stay at the Ashling Hotel. I was so pleased to hear that Claire received a special mention and that you found the hotel itself lovely. I was also delighted that you found the location of the hotel great. I hope to welcome you back to us again in the future.

Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and I feel it was quite expensive for what it was, mainly because the hotel is only just within walking distance of the city centre (20-30 mins) and the room we stayed in felt very corporate. My partner had arranged for chocolates to be in our room on arrival as we were visiting Dublin to celebrate my birthday but they weren't put in the room until our second night. We didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked like a nice place to eat out. I definitely wouldn't stay here again if we went back to Dublin, I would look for somewhere in a better location for a better price!

Room Tip: room 610 is the only room on the 6th floor without a balcony and there are only 7 floors in the hote...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Ashling. It is unfortunate that you did not find the hotel special and that you did not get a chance to experience the restaurant. I hope you had an overall enjoyable visit to Dublin.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Ashling Hotel for several nights and really enjoyed it! Its in a great location - walking distance to Jameson, Guinness, and the Kilmainham Gaol. It's also really close to Phoenix Park in case you are a runner and are interested in a nice running path. Their breakfast is amazing! It was 12 euro, but worth every penny. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room away from the road, on a higher floor and in the new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
AshlingHotelDublin, General Manager at Ashling Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Thank you for this lovely review of your recent stay at the Ashling Hotel. I was so pleased to read that you found the location great and that you enjoyed being so close to Phoenix Park for the running paths. It is great for lots of different activities such as running, cycling and roller blading. I hope to welcome you back to us again soon.