“fine hotel absolutely no problems”
Review of Ashling Hotel

Ashling Hotel
Ranked #12 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 16 June 2006

There is nothing wrong with this hotel. for the room rate it was more than adequate. it is in a quieter part of dublin about 20 mins from the centre but as the tram stop is across the road at the station (a whole one minutes walk away) along with buses trains and taxis aplenty. We had breakfast one morning it was fine (certainly better than the one we had in temple bar the previous morning) all staff were friendly and the room was very nice. we walked back to the hotel one evening along the river and felt totally safe although the city does have a huge traffic problem. i am not sure i would have wanted to walk down the backstreets though and to be honest it was just as easy to get a tram back from the centre at night.For the price paid (and some of the prices in dublin are extortionate)i couldnt fault this hotel. a word of warning the duty free prices at the airport are no cheaper than local uk supermarket so get your jamesons from the distillery.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank drumking
Write a ReviewReviews (4,739)

Reviewed 12 June 2006

The Ashling is an average hotel, nothing more. It's located at the West side of town, near the train station, across from the Guinness brewery, a good 20-minute walk from the town center. The room was boring, but clean. Looking out our window greeted us with a dirty alley and a construction site. The hair dryer is permanently mounted in a drawer in the bedroom, and there is no ironing board (I had to go up to an ironing room on the 5th floor to iron a shirt). No alarm clock in the room so bring your own. There are no taxi's that hang around out front, so you must call one each time.

Breakfast was fine (cereal, juice, fruit, eggs, toast, coffee).

The staff was helpful, with the exception of one older, gray haired man, who worked the desk one night. Once I was able to get him to look away from his computer screen, his answer to my question (where is the nearest hop-on-hop off bus stop) was to tell me to check with the morning folks and they could help me. The folks in the morning were able to tell where the 2 nearest stops were.

The location is not great, but we felt safe walking to and from the town center, it's just a long walk on narrow sidewalks.

As I said, this is an average hotel with a less than average location. Keep looking, there are definitely better places to stay.

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank okiesweeney
Reviewed 4 June 2006

We stayed at the Ashling for two nights. The staff was friendly and mostly efficient. The room was good and we had no problems with it. The bathroom was spacious and there was plenty of hot water with good pressure. They supplied extra towels after two requests. For the price, it was a good value in Dublin. We had buffet breakfast at the hotel one morning and it was suffiicient, costing 15 euros.

A taxi to the downtown area, around Temple Bar, varied from 6.5 to 9 euros. The hotel photo is a little misleading concerning the tram. It does go in front of the hotel, but it doesn't stop there. It's a couple of blocks to the tram stop, or over to Hueston station. Being close to the station makes it convenient for an airport shuttle.

The hotel doesn't have a secure space for luggage, for guests arriving before the check-in time (which was stringently observed). The store-rooms are self-service.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank Philoviation
A TripAdvisor Member
Southern California/Hungary
Reviewed 15 May 2006

My corner room on the 5th floor was just perfect for this single female traveler who wanted a safe, clean, quiet place. Surprised at the spaciousness of both the bedroom and the bathroom, loved that I could sleep with the window open, loved that there were lots of pillows, happy to be provided with a coffee maker, hair dryer, and TV. VERY content with my room.

The front desk reception was nice enough but nothing to write home about. They gave rather short answers instead of offering more help. If they didn't have an answer, they didn't pursue finding one.

I chose this hotel because it was less expensive than everywhere else at the time I wanted to go. However, I never ate there. Continental Breakfast was not included and cost about 8 euros; a full Irish breakfast was around 12. The one morning I was running late and decided to splurge, I couldn't get room service for breakfast because you have to request it by midnight the previous night, which sort of defeats my concept of room service. Also the dinner kitchen closed around 9pm so my first night was eating snacks from the vending machine.

I also chose this hotel for its proximity to public transportation. I found it totally convenient to Dublin Airport, just a 5 euro 30 minute ride to Heuston Train Station, which is literally just across the street from the hotel. Excellent! LUAS (means "fast" in Gaelic) is a wonderful, modern system, too. The Museum stop is less than 5 minutes walk from the lobby; from there it's 1.40 euro 10 minutes to Abbey stop at O'Connell Street. However, during the morning as well as afternoon/evening weekday commutes, it was often too packed to be able to squeeze any more people aboard. The walk from the hotel to O'Connell Street is really about 25-30 minutes without much to see along most of the way and not a welcome activity after a busy day of sightseeing. However, I didn't explore the bus system which may be a viable alternative. I had planned to take the LUAS from the hotel to Connelly Train Station for my trip to Belfast but because of the LUAS crowds I had to take a cab instead, which cost about 10 euros and took about 30 minutes.

I am also absolutely astounded that this hotel has only one small elevator! I usually walked down the stairs because it was often packed with housecleaning carts and/or group baggage movements whenever I needed to use it.

I would say this is a good enough hotel if you can't find anything comparably priced closer to city center.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 April 2006

Room (standard double): The room was spacious and spotless clean, one double and one single bed. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was nice and clean, although the hairdryer was very unconvenient located in one of the drawers of the desk in the room. The view was very poor as you can see on the picture and the corridor was sometimes very noisy.

Area: The hotel isn’t a 10 minute walk from the center as some reviews tell here. It’s definitely a 20 minute walk. You can take the tram close to the hotel but that isn’t a very nice experience, as all the trams are constantly packed.

Breakfast: The first morning we had breakfast in the room that was very poor. Some burned toast (see picture), coffee and jam. The breakfast buffet was average.

Staff: The staff was very friendly and professional.

Bar/lounge: The bar is small and cosy, but the interiour don’t live up to the prices (2,60€ for a cola).

Restaurant: The food in the restaurant is average to good, but again expensive for what you get.

When checking my bill back at home I noticed that the drinks of a night in the bar that were all payed in cash were on my bill and payed again. I mailed the hotel to check this out and they responded the same day by phoning me to tell I was right and they would refund the 30 euro to my creditcard. The explanation although was a little bit funny. They told me they charged the bar-bill of the room next to mine on my bill. What a coincidence that the people in that room had drinks for the exact same amount on that same evening and hour (specified on the bill). Ofcourse no blame for the reception staff here, on the contrary, as they responded very quickly and correct. But one cannot say that from the serving staff in the bar, so check your bill.

The Ashling is an average hotel, but the location for tourists is certainly not interesting.
I found Dublin a suffocating and non-attractive city. The city is packed with people, I've never seen a city with so much heavy traffic in the center, it's full of buses and trucks. Manhattan is cosy and relaxing compared to the center of Dublin.

7  Thank DavidBelgium
Reviewed 11 April 2006

We stayed at the Best Western Ashling for 3 nights in April and really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were clean and spacious and the staff very friendly. We did not have the breakfast although the bar was nice and welcoming after a hard day shopping! The location is good with good public transport, the buses are very frequent although we prefered to walk to the centre during the day as the city is very picturesque. Ryans bar is just up the road from the hotel and does lovely food.
We went on the 'Hop on Hop off' bus on the second day but found that everything we were shown we had seen the day before so it was a bit pointless and a waste of 15 euros. plus you couldn't really take pictures of anything as the bus was going too fast. The trip I did enjoy was the visit to Kilmainham Gaol Historical museum, which is the old jail about 20 mins walk from the hotel (good idea to get directions as we were told it was 'just over the road' by reception...its not). Very informative and the tour of the jail was excellent. Unfortunately we got there for the last tour which didn't give us any time to see the museum.
Overall I really enjoyed Dublin, the people are very friendly and the city is lovely.

6  Thank Slitzy
Reviewed 10 April 2006

Just returned from 3 nights at Best Western Ashling. Great hotel, really friendly staff. We arrived early morning (9.30am) and were able to store our luggage before heading off to explore Dublin. Hotel is about 2km from City Centre but is an easy walk along the banks of River Liffey. The tram also runs right past the hotel is you don't fancy the walk. Breakfast was very good - plenty of choice. Would definately stay there again!

6  Thank dlogan72