“Not bad in a pinch”
Review of Ashling Hotel

Ashling Hotel
Ranked #13 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 28 September 2006

My brother and I visited Ireland from 21 - 25 September for the Ryder Cup and we started planning the trip ~2 weeks prior. We did not have many options and settled on the Ashling primarily due to the somewhat favorable posts. The hotel really is about a 20 minute walk at a leisurely pace or a 12 minute walk at a fast clip. I recommend taking the foot path that runs parallel to the tram tracks to avoid the lights, deisel fumes and dirt.

The hotel is not bad with most amenities you would expect and a mostly helpful staff. The rooms are quite small for two 6' plus athletic guys (we booked a triple as we needed/wanted 2 beds) but the bathrooms were large enough and the beds and pillows were fine. The street behing the hotel is loud pretty much all day and, wjile it wasn't warm, the room did get quite warm and stuffy and with no AC, the only option was to open the window the scant crack allowed to let fresh air in. I would rate the rooms a 2.5 out of 5 - very average and as we were there during the REALLY high season, they jacked the rates up to 220 Euro/night!! OUCH!!

OK, the Guiness lounge was great, good food, good beer and a lot of fun and seemingly open 24/7. Great staff and filled with TV's for the Ryder Cup, almost like being there!!

In conclusion, if I were to visit Dublin again (and I highly doubt that I will) I would opt to stay in a town outside that is in close proximity to a rail line and just come in for the day.

• Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank PaddyMc

Reviewed 23 September 2006

Stayed at this hotel as a party of 7 people. Have to say that our overall experience was a good one.
Located on the outskirts of the city, however do not let this put you off as the Louis Tram passes directly outside the hotel and the nearest station (The Musuem) is only a two minute walk and offers an excellent service into the City until 12.30am, daily.
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and proffesional. The breakfast was also of a good quality and standard.
All in all have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.
Our reservation was made via Best Western centrall reservations in Ireland.
Ten out of Ten !!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank LORDWROXALL
Reviewed 6 September 2006

not a great hotel, rooms dark, non smoking rooms still smell like smoke - would looke elses where next time

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank fussytraveller3
Reviewed 30 July 2006

Good value hotel not too far from the City Centre. We needed 4 sinlge rooms and these represented good value compared to hotels closer to the centre. Staff very friendly and helpful, rooms average size and very clean. Bar good - not too pricey compared with the centre of Dublin!. Breakfasts fine.

There are one or two excellent pubs just up the road and there is very good transport into the city centre (although its ony around 7 euro taxi ride - or 45 minutes walk to the heart of Temple Bar. There is one of the open top tour bus stops only 100 yards away.

If you have to stay in the city centre this is not a hotel for you - but if you want a little more quiet but still some comfort then this is a good choice.

Taxi from the airport was 24 euros (for 4) but 30 euros return (have not worked that one out yet)

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank severus
Reviewed 24 July 2006

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in July. The hotel was lovely. The only problem we had was a lack of airconditioning, but you will be hard-pressed to find a hotel in Dublin with airconditioning, and the hotel did provide the rooms with fans. The staff was friendly, the rooms were clean. The location was decent--it is located across from the Guinness Brewery. It is also about 300 meters from the train station which was nice. If you are looking to stay in the center of the city, this hotel is not for you. If you don't mind walking a few miles or hopping on the bus, however, you can easily access the city center from this hotel. A pub down the street, Nancy Hands, serves FABULOUS food and a wonderful pint of Guinness. Also, a pub called Ryan's next door is allegedly the first pub in the world to be owned by the Guinness Brewery. Locals told us Ryans serves the best pint of Guinness in the world.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maminshe
Reviewed 20 July 2006

My family and I (4 people) stayed in the Ashling Hotel for a few days in late June / July 2006. Overall, we had a pleasant stay at the hotel. From the outside it looks like it’s in need of an update. However, the inside was quite nice and the staff pleasant. Our room (for 4 people) was a nice size, clean and comfortable. I thought the maid service was great and the people at the front desk were helpful. When we checked in from our overseas flight we were tired. The girl at the front desk (June 22) originally told us to come back for our room at 2:00 because it was not ready. The gentleman next to her saw we were tired and went the extra mile to get us our room. That was great, because I didn’t want to leave my luggage in the room where it’s stored (no security and the door was not locked). The last thing I wanted was my luggage stolen in Ireland. Anyway, we enjoyed the stay. The pub downstairs is great (a little pricey). The people that worked in the pub were really friendly. We went to the pub every night to watch the soccer game. The neighborhood behind the hotel is pretty bad, so I wouldn’t suggest walking around. The tram was OK – it was usually crowded and with some sleazy looking people. They didn’t bother you – but I would watch my wallet. It also doesn’t stop in front of the hotel and you have to walk ten minutes to it. I preferred the bus across the street because it was a lot less crowded and more comfortable. You need exact change for the bus. It also took you more to the heart of Dublin. I wouldn’t walk around the city – it still has some less than nice areas. But you can tell that Dublin is getting better. The only downside with the Hotel was on a Saturday night they had a party that got out of hand (for a 21 year old kid). People were in the street yelling for most of the night and you could hear it clearly from our room. They were totally drunk and nobody called the police. Don’t get a room in the front of the hotel if you can avoid it. Also, some locals (only 2) were in the pub on night and they were pretty low-class. That, though, is not the hotels fault and the manger got rid of them. Most of the other guests in the hotel were nice decent people. Breakfast was OK, if you’re into the Irish style breakfast. The restaurant was nice and the people friendly. I personally thought the Irish breakfast was really greasy and would not recommend it to people from the states. I really liked the hotel and thought it was good. A few improvements would really make the place nicer (like updating the outside).

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jim-Mey
Reviewed 19 July 2006

When I read the other reviews after booking this hotel I was a little apprehensive. The choice of hotels that offer family rooms big enough to take four is severely limited and the Ashling was one of the only ones to offer these.
The rooms were huge and even with three beds in them there was still room to spare.
The staff in the restaurant and at breakfast were wonderful and very kind to my family and I and very attentive to my granddaughters aged 6 & 3. We did have a problem with one of the front desk staff who told us when asked that the restaurant did children's meals apologised that they didn't but they did! Lack of training there I would suggest and she didn't offer to find out.
I agree with a fellow reviewer that the views from the window were less than attractive but I didn't go to Dublin to stay in my room and look out! My needs were a comfortable bed, a clean room and hot water and they were all met with no problem. We thought the location was very good and I am surprised at the comments about the tram...yes it goes past the hotel but does not stop directly outside but it is only a few minutes walk to the stop at Heuston station. The trams were busy but we never missed one because we couldn't get on. The bus from the airport ( Airlink 748) stops at Heuston station as well so access to and from the airport is so easy. One thing to mention is that do not turn up early and expect to get into your room most people make full use of the 12 noon check out so rooms are usually not available early. We were told to come back at 2pm but our rooms were still not ready but they sent us through to the bar and provided us with complimentary drinks while we waited. The luggage room is small but is locked so you can leave your luggage in there and head off into Dublin if your room is not ready. The hotel is also a short walk from the Phoenix park and Dublin zoo. All in all a good hotel and one that we would have no hesitation in returning to.

Stayed: June 2006