“Don't expect to sleep”

Camden Deluxe Hotel
Ranked #131 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Don't expect to sleep”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I booked 3 nights with this hotel after I purchased a deal on Groupon for it. After booking I was told that the hotel had a nightclub attached that is open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. I was staying Tuesday-Thursday so I didn't think much of it.

Arriving at the hotel it was very nice. We got checked in early and quickly which is a plus. The room was a little small, but the bathroom was a good size. The TV didn't work, but that didn't affect us so I never told the front desk. A big problem though was the little to no WiFi connectivity in the room. I could only get one bar and that was only in certain areas of the room.

I expected there to be a night club Thursday night, but at 4pm on Tuesday extremely loud music started to play. I was not warned about the outdoor beer garden directly behind the hotel. It was so hot our windows needed to be opened, although closing them didn't help at all to drown out music. At 10pm I inquired when this restaurant/beer garden would be closing and the man at the front desk said between 12:30 and 1:30 am. I'm not sure when it finally closed because once it did there were enough venues playing loud music in the area to pick right up where the beer garden left off. Wednesday afternoon/night were the exact same. Thursday started the same, but the night club... OMG. What a nightmare. Music, people screaming, breaking bottles, etc. We left very early for the airport at 330 am and the streets were filled with people who left all the night clubs at 3am.

This hotel was a good value for me because of the groupon deal. The location is central to Grafton St and St Stephens Green, but Dublin in general is an extremely walkable city. If you plan on staying out all night the noise won't bother you. But if you plan on sleeping during your vacation, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Jacsloven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed 18 July 2013

stayed june 28th to july 1st , as our 2nd stay there and it was just as peaceful as the 1st time, the women behind the counter remembered us and all which was really nice ! , myself and my partner got married since the last time we had stayed and when we went to the gay parade Saturday we came back to a beautiful bouquet of flowers and lovely note congratulating us on our marriage, which was extremely sweet, the people that work there as so helpful , and the restraint connected to the hotel is absolutely gorgeous !! and the nightclub is a plus !! we will deffintely be staying again, thanks very much Camden deluxe, !! Brittany & aine mcenteggart:) !!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brittany a
Wicklow
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. The rooms were fantastic - the decor lovely. Location was great - walking distance to everywhere in the City. The staff were extremely helpful and answered all our queries professionally - they kept our luggage for a full day until we were ready to collect it. Will definitely be back - couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Margaret2379
chelmsford
Reviewed 24 June 2013

To start with I am aware that this hotel is only rated as 2 stars but I didn't expect this to reflect on the overall standards too much, however I was disappointed somewhat. The front of the hotel did somewhat deceiving , it is situated down a busy and fairly central street which seems ideal, and to look at on the outside it looks like a lovely little boutique hotel with its elegant windows, doors and canopy. Even the entrance lobby of the hotel has a luxury boutique feel about it with its sofas fireplace and art displays, however as you begin to travel though the hotel you get the feeling that this look doesn't transpire throughout the rest of the hotel. Travelling up to our 3rd floor room was an experience, I am not a keen lift goer at the best of times but I suggest you do not use the hotel lift if you can- it doesn't make for a smooth ride!!!! We were given no information at reception about the hotel or our room just given the key! And the room number although the reception staff were perfectly polite and always remained friendly throughout our stay. When we arrived at our room it was very basic lots of pine furniture and green (a large 3d art piece was a huge feature in the room and I must say having a large plant sticking out of the wall is rather off putting. The room is perfect for those who are keen to be out and about as it is basic and not that pleasant to spend a long time in which is what I expected from a 2 star establishment, however their was quite a few items in our room that were broken, damaged or missing. The television barely worked and had just 2 channels- ok if you aren't going to spend so much time in the room but if you a having a longer stay could be an issue, the plug socket near the kettle was cracked. Our bedroom window was also cracked! We had a well stocked tea / coffee service in our room with a kettle however we were given no spoon, also I was rather annoyed when I went to use the room provided hairdryer and not only did it not work the whole on / off button was missing! The room was fairly clean just a few hairs on the duvet and a bit of dust but not filthy dirty. If you are looking for a romantic break then this isn't the hotel for you, if you looking for somewhere to stay he night then it's perfect , the beds are single but we had 2 pushed together and it made for a fairly comfortable nights sleep. Also the hotel is quite dark and dingy especially when you take the stairs, lastly the views aren't great unless you look far away where you can just about see some hilltops. One pleasant thing about the hotel is the attaching cafe, flavour- reasonably priced but delicious food and fantastic service, the waitress was so friendly and so attentive and helpful. I would stay at the Camden deluxe again but purely because of the reasonable price , good location and the attached cafe.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PhoebeStangerMills

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

After all the negative reviews I read about I was slightly worried staying there (I'd booked the deal through Group-on deals) but I couldn't disagree more with them. I bought the deal for a 21st gift for my friend (she's just finished her final year of uni while I finish next year). The rooms were clean and spacious with a very good shower and bathroom. We were on the top floor so had a lovely view out over Dublin and to the mountains. The service was very friendly and we were even given access to our room earlier than expected. In addition they were more than happy to place our bags securely on the last day so we could wander without them and were happy for us to sit in the reception area when waiting for the bus. Ideally located on a main street with music bars and pubs locally, though slightly outside the city centre. However there was a bus stop situated right outside which took us directly into the Temple Bar area. As for the noise, it was much quieter (despite being right net to a club) than many cities I've stayed in (and one should always expect noise when wishing to stay in any city) but it wasn't imposing on us and we were still able to sleep soundly with the window open even though we're both light sleepers. Would definitely stay here again, I couldn't say anything negative about it.

Room Tip: The top floor has a good view across Dublin.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathryn W
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 June 2013

stayed here last sat and sunday .. lovely hotel very clean lovely rooms and staff were great,especially th girl at reception...out of all the hotels iv stayed in this has to be my best... will come back very soon ♥ thank you for a lovely stay x

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel with my husband. Since I don't know Dublin well it was surprisingly close to everything you might need. Shopping, restaurants, bars, clubs and so on. Our room felt a lot like s bnb which was nice. Furniture is a bit out dated the windows were dirty on the outside and there wasn't much of z view. The bathroom was nice and clean. We were comfortable at the end of the day. What was funny though is the small 19'tv had 3 channels and none of them were Irish. We stayed Thursday and Friday, even though they tell you there's a night club you are quite not ready for the noise. So if you want peace and quite Friday and Saturday should be avoided. All in all it's s good budget hotel. We didn't go for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013