“why should someone select BW Plus Academy Plaza”

Academy Plaza Hotel
Ranked #43 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Orange County, CA
“why should someone select BW Plus Academy Plaza”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Alright, why select one of the largest hotels in the city (300 rooms).

Usually small is better. But there are exceptions to the rule.

We were taking the airport bus back and forth from Dublin city and the "747" bus actually stops outside the door, just across the street on the trip in the from the airport. On the way back to the airport the bus actually stops just outside the front door.

So the bus is very convenient.

If you want a day of touring the city on the on/off bus, one of the stops is just around the corner from the hotel.

Lastly, O'Connell Street is 35 yards from the front door of the hotel. O'Connell Street has the widest pedestrian sidewalks in all of Dublin and the widest street in all of Dublin and all that comes with that.

Location, location, location.

We walked everywhere from here except when we took the bus to the prison for the tour.

A friend of my wife's has lived and worked in Dublin for the last 25 years and she told us "avoid being in a place where you have to take buses and taxis to get back and forth especially when you are tired of walking of sightseeing." She said she tells all his friends, company and business associates when they are visiting the city that this is the place to stay for convenience and price.

If you pay a little extra you can get rooms that are situated through a door on each floor that has fewer rooms and therefore less pedestrian hotel guest noise. We like this feature and never heard others going in/out of their rooms. Perhaps half of the rooms are empty due to the additional cost. It's worth asking for one of these rooms and paying the small additional price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank richardleeds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2012

My friends and I stayed here last summer on are trip to Oxegen Festival and i must say I had a very pleasant stay here in Academy plaza the stay where friendly the hotel was very clean and the rooms had everything needed for a good nights stay the location is very central as a quick stroll to the end of the street will take you onto OConnell street and into the heart of Dublin. I will definately be staying here again on my travels to Dublin. We got a gr8 lastminute.com deal and the value for money was excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jayw87
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2012 via mobile

I was in Dublin for the RHCP gig at Croke Park and on previous trips, I've stayed at the nearby Maldron Hotel Parnell Square. I chose the Best Western this time as it was nearer to O'Connell Street and, as I was on my own, knew I would feel safer walking back here after the gig as O'Connell Street is quite busy. I arrived at the hotel at 10.30am and asked if i could leave my bag before checking in later but my room was ready so I was able to check in straight away. I booked a single room to save money, and because I was only staying one night, and was a little dubious of this as I had visions of being stuck in a room the size of a broom cupboard. In fact, my room was a good size - I've stayed in smaller double rooms! Obviously a single bed, but had all the other storage and desk space you'd get in a double room, with modern, trendy decor. The bathroom was also bigger than I've had in other hotel rooms and was spotlessly clean with a shower big enough that you could stand away from the water to wash. (I really hate tiny shower cubicles!)

My room was down a little corridor on its own, so I wasn't disturbed by neighbours or anyone walking past. It was a warm muggy night so I left the window open and I think my room overlooked the beer garden of the bar next door as there was a bit of noise but I was too tired and comfy to get up and close the window. It was only chatter and laughter, no music or yelling, so I was able to block it out. I was woken a couple of times in the early hours by an alarm from a nearby building but apart from that I slept like a log, which is most unlike me when staying in hotels.

The free wifi was a massive plus for me, as many hotels still insist on charging extortionate rates for something that is fast becoming a necessity. Location-wise this hotel was perfect, both for the proximity to Croke Park (about a 15-20 minute walk) and access to the rest of Dublin. Temple Bar is about a 10-15 minute walk, Grafton Streen and St Stephens Green a little further. The Airlink bus stops around the corner on the way from the airport, and right outside for the return trip, and the Hop On/Hop Off bus also stops outside.

Dublin is one of my favourite cities and I hope to return again and again. The Best Western Academy Plaza would be my number one choice in future.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank lork
Woodland HIlls, UT
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed at the BEST WESTERN Plus Academy Plaza Hotel, Dublin for a week and experienced too many problems: (1) first day the front desk sent to the wrong room (after a long trip overseas trip and we were exhausted); (2) toilet backed up; (3) sink drain did not work; (4) room key card did not work three times during the week and we had to go back to the desk to get a new key car; (5) breakfast buffet was out of some of the food; (6) front desk did not have change for 50 euro bill--huh? Staff was friendly, though.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dublin
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My friend & I stayed here on weekend 22-24th June 2012 as we arrived in Dublin to attend Westlifes farewell tour. Could not fault this hotel for anything, great location just off o'connell street, so it's central to everything, also only 10-15 mins walk to Croke Park.

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel. Hopefully will be returning for a third time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Kellyanne r
sydney
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My experience at this hotel couldnt have been more different than an earlier, unpleasant accommodation experience in Dublin . I requested a quiet, non-smoking room and was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room and how comfortable and quiet it was. Location was terrific -in a little street off the top of O'Connell St -very close to Gate Theatre, James Joyce Centre, the airport link bus stop,cinemas and shopping centres. Temple Gate , Grafton St and Trinity College are within easy walking distance. The one dinner I had in the Hotel was very good. The staff were extremely polite, efficient and helpful. Late at night, there are a few less than salubrious people lurking around in the area, but this is true of most parts of Dublin, I suspect! I was delighted with this hotel and would readily stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank melodramaboy
Queensland
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Academy Plaza for 4 nights over the long weekend in June. We booked ahead online from Australia and were given a good rate as we booked early and stayed more than 3 nights.
We requested a quiet, non-smoking room when booking as we had read from other reviewers that the night club next door can be noisy. We were allocated Room 223 which was extremely quiet.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the check-in, check-out process was fast and efficient. The rooms were comfortable and clean and we appreciated the free wifi available in our room. The foyer was spacious with comfortable seating areas.
For us, the hotel was ideally located with the Hop On Hop Off bus stop across the street and local bus services and the Airport Link bus just minutes away in O'Connell Street. Temple Bar is within easy walking distance and there is an excellent shopping mall minutes away in Henry Street. If you do not wish to eat at the Hotel, there are numerous dining options close by to suit all budgets.
We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room when booking.