“Great location”

Ranked #46 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Surrey
“Great location”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Just spent 3 nights here. Just off O' Connell Street so perfectly placed to see all the sights of Dublin. We were given a very small twin room so I asked if there was a larger one available. The staff very kindly organised a triple room which was so much better. The room was quiet, clean and the only comment in the negative was that the TV could have been a little larger. Did not eat at the hotel but it all looked very nice. Please note: take your own shampoo as they supply liquid soap for the shower but nothing else. Have free use of computers in the foyer which was great and the Airlink bus stops right outside. Perfect!
For those of you who like a drink in your room prior to a night on the town there is an ice machine in the basement which is not advertised.

Room Tip: Just ask if you are not satisfied with what you are given. If they can help they will.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steelysurrey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were really impressed with the hotel. Staff were friendly, bus stop right outside for the airport, great bar and great room!!! We liked the location as we did lots of walking and oconnell street was the link to everywhere!!! When I plan to go again this hotel will be where I stay. Already recommended to someone visiting in a few months...

• Stayed February 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We have just returned from a weekend in Dublin and had a great stay at this hotel. The airport bus stops right outside which was very convenient and the hotel is located in a quiet road just off O’Connell Street – it is only a 10-15 minute walk to the Temple Bar area and not too far from many other sights.

Check in went smoothly and the staff were very helpful. We stayed in a small double which was absolutely tiny although we were expecting this! The room was clean though with a good shower and tea/coffee making facilities which was a nice bonus.

There is a good selection at breakfast with hot food on offer as well as a variety of cereals and bread.

Sheffield
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights over Valentines weekend and had a great time. The hotel is in an ideal location, close to shops and plenty of bars and restaurants. Check in was very quick and welcoming and we were given a map of the local area. Our room wasn't the largest room we would have liked but it was very clean and comfortable and had everything that we needed. Lovely breakfast both mornings, plenty of choice. We used the airport bus 747 from the airport which stops outside the hotel and only 10 euros return. There are plenty of ticket machines available at the airport and it runs at peak times every 15 minutes. Takes about 15 minutes from the hotel to walk to Temple Bar area but on this occasion we wanted a different weekend in Dublin and stayed closer to the hotel to experience a more traditional nightout. Fantastic night spent in Maddigans Bar and a wonderful 2nd night at Murrays bar. Both are a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. Loved the Irish dancers and the music there would definitely recommend both places. On the 1st afternoon we went next door to the Living Room which is great if you want a bar that has all the sports showing. Lost count of how many screens they have in there. Would definetly recommend the hotel and when we are next in Dublin will stay again.

1 Thank SWFCSheffield
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I would have given this hotel a 4 star review, except for two things that really upset me on our last night/morning of the stay.

So, first the good points: the lady who checked us in was pleasant and efficient, and we were given a key card to our room on floor five within a couple of minutes. The room was perfectly satisfactory on entering - clean and tidy, with enough room and amenities - iron, tea and coffee making facilities and safe were available. The hairdryer was the type that's anchored to the wall in the bathroom like a hand dryer with a hose attached that barely gets warm, but it did the job eventually.

It's very well located for the centre of Dublin, and a short walk to many of the tourist attractions, or you can jump on the tour bus which departs from opposite the entrance. This is also where the airport bus drops off, so amazingly handy for that.

No view to speak of, as we could only see other walls of the hotel from our window, but at least this meant it was quiet as it wasn't facing out onto the street (aside from corridor noise, and the noise of some kind of fan or machinery when we opened the window so we had to keep it closed).

However, I'd decided to run a nice relaxing bath on my second night and therefore, because I like it quite hot, I turned the tap controlling the temperature up. The button that you usually press in to be able to turn the temperature right up had been permanently stuck in, and therefore the rim around it was exposed - and a bit of the metal was missing, which left a sharp, jagged edge, and my thumb must have slipped with the water on it because I cut it. Annoyed, I got dressed and went down to reception to express my dissatisfaction. I was offered some plasters as they didn't have anything to clean the wound with (so I took two as they weren't even waterproof ones), and the gentleman said he was sorry and that he'd make a note. I was offered a change of room, but who wants to move rooms at 1.00am on the final night of their stay? To make matters worse, the next morning we were lying in bed when there was a quiet knock on the door - well, we weren't sure if it was our door or not, so we didn't say anything as we had the "Do not disturb" sign on. Housekeeping then entered. We dove under the covers as we were somewhat embarrassed and not yet dressed! They exited without saying anything. Reception apologised for this when we checked out, and said they'd talk to housekeeping. I was also asked how my finger was - well, fine, it was my thumb I'd injured, but not wanting to split hairs I replied that it was still quite sore, but I didn't get much more than a nod in reply.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MancKat
Seamus B, Manager at Academy Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear MancKat

Thank you for sharing your comments and review with us. I would love if you could give me a personal call so I can fully go through with you what have highlighted for us. I can see that you have posted some very positive comments about our hotel and our front desk staff too. We care in putting so many elements in place for our customers.

Should you wish call, please do so, or you can alternatively send me an email on wecare@academyplazahotel.ie

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Warmest Regards
Séamus Brennan
Deputy Manager
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed here over valentines weekend and found the hotel to be very accommodating. A very good breakfast. Although the room looked onto a brick wall this didn't make my stay worse - I don't go to a destination to sit in the hotel all day! Brilliant, thank you!

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed with a group of friends, we had various room situated on various floors of the hotel

Our room was spotlessly clean with modern fittings throughout, nice shower room and big comfortable beds, tea and coffee making facilities, ironing board and good clothes storage space.

Location is ideal for the whole city centre,10 min stroll to temple bar etc

Buffet style breakfast is optional €9.90 extra and was satisfactory with a range of hot and cold foods, hot drinks and juices

Taxi transfer from the airport cost €26 other used the local bus service €6 / €10 return

I would definitely recommend and not hesitate using this hotel again as a base for a dublin weekender

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends