“Ideal location”

Academy Plaza Hotel
Ranked #44 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Hotel located in central area - quick walk to air coach service to/from Airport, Hop on Hop Off bus. Lone traveller - small, clean room. Efficient reception staff,good array of breakfast food. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Indicate your room requirement.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 514maggiem20
Write a ReviewReviews (4,798)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel is in a perfect location just off O'Connell Street and near to all public transport it really is in the centre of things. Staff were first rate, food good (the sausage at breakfast is so tasty!) public areas very pleasant, the bar was popular especially with the World Cup on and my room was a reasonable size with all facilities needed. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Dublin either on business or on holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ellen_walker
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was in Dublin for a business conference and was booked for 4 nights in this hotel. It is very accessible, as it is right off of a main street, O'Connell Street. Buses to and from the airport stop in the front of the hotel.

I was first placed in a room on the 3rd floor with a window facing what looked like the patio of the bar next door. Sometime around midnight, the noise from outside the window was getting too loud and then I noticed a number of what looked like fleas crawling on the desk! I called down to the reception desk and explained the situation. They apologized profusely and said they would call me back. Five minutes later, there was a knock on my door - 2 staff members came and asked to come in to see the bugs. They apologized again, took the bugs as samples and helped me back my belongings, and brought me to a new room on the 7th floor. This all happened in a span of about 20 minutes. The new room was very clean, just like the previous room, but was also bug-free. While it also had a window facing the bar patio, it was not as loud as the 3rd floor room.

The following morning, the manager contacted me, spoke with me in person and apologized again for the inconvenience. He reported that analysis of the bugs revealed, thankfully, that they were not bed bugs. He assured me that they had since stripped the room and concluded that there seemed to not be an infestation of the room, but rather bugs likely came in through an open window. He apologized again and asked if I was happy with my new room, which I was.

Overall, this hotel was perfect for what I needed. The staff was so responsive and the remainder of my stay was more than satisfactory that I was willing to overlook the bug incident.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, I would recommend asking for a room either on a higher floor or facing t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank IrisLB20
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I choose this hotel from trip advisor. The airport bus 747 leaves and arrives outside the hotel door.It is situated in the centre of the City just off O Connell street.The breakfast is great, eat as much as you like, it will see you through to dinner at 6.. My big suprise was the price of guinness was cheaper than the citycentre pubs.I found the staff friendly and efficient and the room facilities good. I intend to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jim m
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for just one night as my 2 daughters were going to see One Direction. I had asked for a quiet room when booking. It's a large hotel and needless to say, it was fully booked for the weekend. The staff were really nice and were well able to cope with all the guests. The room (triple) was small but I had expected that from previous reviews. The beds were really comfortable. The bar was lovely but I wanted something to eat while having a few drinks at the bar and they only had an evening menu which was expensive and not very varied, just main courses like steaks etc. The menu didn't have any wraps, sandwiches etc which would have been nice. We went for late breakfast but most of the food was over-cooked at this stage, probably spent half the morning in the food warmer, but we should have known better for leaving breakfast until 10.45. There is a sports super pub right next door and it was very noisy until 2pm or so. Overall, an ideal place for 1 or 2 nights and I couldn't fault it.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room where you don't get the noise from the pub next door.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank verat
Reviewed 20 June 2014

A disappointing stay. Room left uncleaned, cups not refreshed, wet towel, not used by me, left lying on top of suitcase, getting my clothes wet. After mentioning to the receptionist and then the manager I've had no response although my email address was taken and I was told he'd get back to me. No recompense, no response, disappointing.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Liz R
Seamus B, Manager at Academy Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Liz R

Thank you for submitting your feedback. Since our chat on departure we have as promised a full follow up. I have tried to call you and have since contacted you by mail. We would love the opportunity to get in touch with you and offer you some closure on this and hopefully restore your faith in us and our service,

Please contact us on wecare@academyplazahotel.ie where we would love to hear from you.

Thanks again.

Warm Regards
Séamus Brennan
Deputy Manager

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Really poor service: door blocked but service not working
Assistance are reluctant to assist!!! Making many comments, forgetting they keep our own keys, really not convenient relationship, not correct at all ! No excuses, no word to help customers
Bed are not enough wide
But at the end one good point: breakfast really fine and also Irish Coffee

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bugs31

Dear Bugs31

Thank you for sharing your review and your feedback with us. We are very pleased you have raised your concerns and let us know about your stay. I am more than disappointed read that we have seemed to have failed you during your stay with us.

I cannot fully read into your comments or your reservation and due to TripAdvisors anonymity I cannot really research your reservation fully. However we would really appreciate it if you would contact the team here on wecare@academyplazahotel.ie to go through fully the concerns raised and hopefully reach a better conclusion and restore some faith back into our product and service. We really want to address the concerns you have raised.

Again thank you for your feedback.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards