“Great location”

Academy Plaza Hotel
Ranked #43 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Great location”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel is situated in a great location. Hotel is very modern. Very clean. Staff are very friendly. Rooms are great. Some are a little tight but a lot are spacious. Usually stay at this hotel when we visit Dublin as it is always A very pleasant experience

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alison M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for a surprise birthday present off the boyfriend, and i must say we had a lovely stay.

The hotel is in a fantastic location. Walking distance from airlink bus transfer drop off points (on o'connell street)

Upon check-in, staff were really friendly, even saying 'Happy Birthday' which was a lovely touch.

Our room was lovely 511, spacious and clean. LUX & Dove products to use.

WiFi was good throughout the hotel.

I would definitely recommend this to my customers, and i will hopefully be coming back in February.

ALSO, if you have never been to Dublin, i would highly recommend. The people are friendly, the atmosphere is amazing. Would recommend a full day sat watching the acts in The Temple Bar!

Go ahead, a book it!

x

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JadeyBaby89
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Everything was extraordinary about our stay at the Best Western Plus Academy Plaza Hotel. My family arrived at 2300 on a Thursday night excited to go to bed and rest for out next day of sightseeing. We found out that I made a mistake and booked the room for August 2015 not August 2014. The staff was great, figured out what happened and found us a room that had a Sleeper Sofa and would accommodate our family of four. At this point I was too tired to worry about how much extra this was going to cost me, I just wanted to go to bed. The next day the hotel offered to re-located us to a family room, all we had to do was pack our bags and ask the front desk for the new keys when we got back. When I woke up on Sunday morning I was dreading the check out process and seeing a bill for two times what I booked. When I went down the charges remained the same for what I had booked, and the hotel apologized for the mistake I made.

A trip that could have been a long lasting memory of “Dad’s screw-up” turned out to be an extraordinary trip with loads of great memories for all of us. Thanks again to the staff at the Best Western Plus Academy Plaza Hotel. We will definitely recommend you to all of our Expat friends and stay again in the future

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road, when the bars let out it can get a little loud if the window...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kstate1999
Owen C, Manager at Academy Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear kstate1999,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, having such lasting memories of "Dad's Screw up", and that we were able to accommodate you a whole year early. I will pass on your compliments to our front office team and all our staff on their service.

I hope that your experiences with us will bring you back to our hotel should you wish to stay in Dublin again.

Thanking you again for your review,
Kindest Regards,
Owen Cullen
Assistant Manager
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel is just off O'Connel street so near to one of the main shopping areas. It is a short walk away from the Temple Bar area, which is full of restaurants and pubs. The atmosphere at Temple Bar is good in the evening but watch your purses etc. The Airlink bus from the airport stops right opposite hotel. The room was small and dark. The breakfast was Buffett style and was ok but the cooked breakfast was a bit on the cold side. The key to get into the room was a problem as it was a card and failed several times meaning a few trips to reception to get it re-programmed. The tour bus stops on O'Connel street and takes you to main tourist attractions and can hop on and off as much as you like. We went to the Guinness Storehouse which was good and enjoyed the Gravity bar which gives you a 360 degree view of the city. Overall a good break and good central hotel. My only recommendation would be to eat breakfast at one of the near by cafés as there are plenty to choose from. Also wifi was poor in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LDudley88
Stockholm
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel is located very close to shopping, attractions and sight seeing buses. The Airlink bus to the airport is just steps away from the hotel (10 euros return, about 30 minutes ride). My room was rather small but well maintained. The staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EvaStockholm
Dear EvaStockholm,

Thank you very much for your review. Our guests experience is our number one priority and I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Our central location is one of our many attractions, as well as our friendly team and comfortable bedrooms.

Thank you again for submitting your opinions. We would love for you to stay with us again to us should you ever return to Dublin City.
Toronto
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

As with a lot of reviews for this hotel, you simply cannot beat the location. Right off O'Connel street and just steps away from the airport bus drop off and hop on hop off tours. So it was a great base! Within walking distance to many key attractions as well.

As for the hotel itself, the room was quite small (basic double room #238), but being solo I didn't mind it. It would be quite cramped with a second person though. The room was very clean upon arrival and cleaned very well each day. The bathroom was a bit awkward as to get back to the toilet you barely had enough room to close the door behind you. The room faced out onto a courtyard with ventilation fans and air conditioners, however I slept all 3 nights with the window open and they didn't bother me. They do seem to get quite loud in the morning, so if you are a light sleeper close the window. The bed was average. I slept fine, but it creaked and seemed saggy.

I only did the breakfast buffet my last morning there. It was ok, but certainly not worth what they charge. There are many cheap, quick breakfast options within walking distance. The bar/restraint is quite classy though. I had drinks and dinner there one night. Very friendly staff and the meal was quite good.

The staff were friendly enough, but not overly anxious to help you. However I had to print something and normally it is €1, but I forgot my change in my room and the attendant told me not to worry about it. So that was very nice.

Overall very pleasant experience and I would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Atarz1985
Caribbean
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Nice hotel and friendly staff in an ideal location. Would definitely reccommend it. We had a corner room and the size was fine for our two night stay. Quiet too. The breakfast was good and seemed pretty good value at €10 per person during the week. Having a choice of Dove and Lux shower creams in the bathroom was a nice touch, particularly if you're flying over with just a cabin bag and are limited to what liquids you can take

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank needsleepbadly
Seamus B, Manager at Academy Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear needsleepbadly

Thank you for submitting you review. We are so pleased to read what a wonderful stay you had here. We are delighted you enjoyed our well appointed and comfortable rooms along with our friendly staff. Our location as you say is ideal and a great place to start from if you wish to get out and explore the city.

Should you wish to contact us, for any reason, you can mail the team here on wecare@academyplazahotel.ie where we would love to assist you. We would love if you would choose us again should you ever visit Dublin city centre again.

Thanks again.