“Nice hotel, friendly staff, overall a nice stay”

Academy Plaza Hotel
Ranked #43 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 21 June 2009

My husband and I visited Dublin during the first week of June. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL weather during our vacation (aka Holiday as the Irish call it!). Average high temperature was around 62 degrees Fahrenheit, with nighttime temperatures in the 40's. A wonderful break from the high 90 degrees we have in Memphis!

We stayed at this hotel June 2 and June 3. The rooms were small, however this is to be expected with most European hotels. Think of the hotel room size as equivilent to a New York City hotel room. The rooms were clean, fresh smelling and overall a nice remodel job.

The air conditioner worked ok, however simply did not cool the room off enough at night. The lowest setting on the climate control is 19 degrees Celcius (66 degrees Fahrenheit) - not near cool enough considering the outside temperature.

Our room was on the back side of the hotel, that overlooked the courtyard where the bars are, and I can certainly attest to the fact it is very loud. Due to the noise we were unable to leave the window open, so our room got rather stuffy during the night. On our second night, we slept with earplugs in so the window could be left open.

We decided upon check-in to pre-pay for the breakfast buffett for our two mornings at the hotel. I must say, I was highly disappointed with breakfast. We never received good service, it was ok at best, and the food was not very appealing. Overall, in my opinion, the breakfast is incredibly expensive (10 Euros or $15.00) for what you get and I would not recommend it. We saw several local eateries with boards out front advertising a Full Irish breakfast served all day for 7 Euros ($10.50).

The hotel, along with most of Ireland uses white pepper...so be ware if you are not familiar or do not like the taste. On our first morning, I sprinkled a heavy amount of pepper on my eggs...big mistake!!!! My plate smelled like a barnyard and I was unable to eat the eggs. I ended up eating sausage, toast and yogurt. Certainly not worth the price we paid.

The hotel staff were extremely nice, polite and most helpful. We barely made our connecting flight in Philadelphia, so our luggage did not arrive with us. It came one day later...and the hotel staff was absolutely wonderful. We notified them of the luggage delay and upon our return to our room, we found our luggage had been placed in the room for us.

Check in and check out were very smooth and hassle free. Upon check-out, we requested a taxi to drive us to Connolly Station, in order to catch our train to Belfast. We waited MAYBE 5 minutes. I was super impressed and would certainly stay in this hotel again.

The location is absolutely excellent. Literally just around the corner from O'Connoll Street. Plenty of eateries, souvenier shops, and quick stop markets within walking distance.

Overall...I highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank CHAdams
valkys1, Eric Valkys - Revenue Manager at Academy Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2009

Dear CHAdams,
Thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here in Dublin!! We will pass on all the kind words about the reception staff to our team tomorrow in our weekly hotel meeting. Just to let ya know, the weather has gotten EVEN BETTER here in Dublin so it gets too hot down there in TN this summer, hurry back, ya hear!!

Cheers

There are newer reviews for Academy Plaza Hotel

Reviewed 20 June 2009

Really enjoyed the location of this hotel. You can see the hotel from the airport shuttle stop on O'Connell. Additionally, bus tours for touring outside the city pick up on O'Connell very near the hotel as well as Dublin Hop On - Hop Off Bus Tours. There is also a tourist office on O'Connell. Additionally, a 10 minute walk on O'Connell brings you to the Temple Bar area. Would stay here again for sure. It was odd that a 4-Star property did not have the essential amenities in the standard room. So, it was good we had our own.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends

Dear GMP01,
So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we agree, our location is ideal to see all Dublin's biggest attractions. We do keep many additional amendities at reception and in our housekeeping office and they are always just a phone call away! Hope your flight home to LA was as smooth as your stay with us here at the hotel!! Enjoy your summer and thanks for leaving alittle bit of that LA sunshine behind here in Dublin, another wonderful weekend here on the Emerald Isle

Cheers

Reviewed 19 June 2009

We stayed four nights and had no complaints.
PROS:
Modern, clean room with nice flatscreen TV
Very quiet (our room was second floor, back of hotel facing an alley and another building).
Great city location (not on a busy street, but close to the city center and bus & train station)
Free internet (but not always easy to get on one of the two open computers)
CONS:
Staff was very business-like. Would have been nice if they were a bit more cheery/helpful.
Small room (but adequate for our needs)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel with my sister for one night, it is in a great location for shopping, just off O'Connell street, we used their subsidised parking in the Q carpark accross the road, very convienent and good value at 12.50 for 24 hours. The rooms were small but very clean with two single beds, there was no bath just a shower. We had asked for a quiet room and we got a very quiet room for the center of Dublin and had a great nights sleep. The breakfast was a buffet, pretty standard.
Overall this was a comfortable, clean, convienent hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hoggey

Dear Hoggey,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience at our hotel!! So glad you had a fantastic night's sleep and we look forward to welcoming you back later this summer as Cork push deep into the GAA playoffs here in Dublin!!

Cheers,

Eric H Valkys
Revenue Manager

Reviewed 18 June 2009

Pluses: There were positives, but they were completely obliterated by my finding a bedbug in my bed on the first morning I woke up in the hotel. So who cares about a great location, a nice job with the recent remodeling, the flat screen televisions, or the good water pressure in the shower, when there are bedbugs on the property.

Minuses:
BEDBUGS! (See photos)
Horrendous smell of fish in the lobby that permeates the lower floor rooms.
Small-sized rooms (See photos)
Musty smelling shower curtain.
Black mold in the shower (See photo)

Most of all, management's indifference to the bedbug situation.

The first morning I woke up in the hotel, my ankle itched. I looked down to find a bedbug lying next to my ankle on the blood spotted sheet. I took a photo for evidence, collected it in a piece of tissue, and went downstairs to speak with the hotel manager. (SEE ATTACHED PHOTOS)

Imelda listened, apologized dispassionately, and then immediately went into how this was the first time it had ever happened at their hotel. Perhaps this is true, but I’m baffled by her blasé and disinterested response in rectifying the situation. I felt reproached by her manner, which initially seemed to imply we had brought it in ourselves. This was not possible given it was our first night’s stay on our vacation in Ireland, and we do not have bedbugs in our home.

Next she suggested it had been brought in by the person who had occupied the room the previous night. This, too, is of course possible, but good management does not seek to place blame for a situation, but rather works to ensure the customer felt as though the situation is being treated with the seriousness it merits and also looks to ameliorate the situation. Imelda, and by extension Best Western, proffered nothing.

When I asked her what she was going to do, she asked for the specimen (to get rid of the evidence?), which I had brought to her, and said she would have it tested and the room fumigated. Fearing she intended to keep us in the same room, I immediately said I did not wish to stay in the same room another evening. She said she would move us.

When I asked her what else she intended to do, her chilly response was, “What else would you like?” We very reasonably asked to be reimbursed for that first night’s stay in the hotel. She said she would not be able to do that, but she might be able to give us some kind of reduction in price but would first have to check our rate. Feeling unhappy with her indifferent response, I suggested she could start with comping us breakfast that morning. She complied.

Imelda never followed up with us regarding a possible reimbursement. I had to call downstairs the following evening, and the manager Peter said because we had booked our room through a third party, Best Western Academy Plaza could not offer us either a refund or a rebate. He said that the best they could do would be to comp us breakfast for the rest of our stay. Our plans had us out of the hotel before breakfast was served, and when we requested a dinner instead, we were told no. So, management’s response was to offer us breakfast that is set out buffet style, which literally costs them nothing. Finally, I suggested that they might also wash our bedclothes and the few items we had placed on the bed. The complied.

Finding a bedbug in your bed is a very legitimate and serious complaint. People have successfully litigated for thousands of dollars. All I asked for was a refunde for an evening spent with a bedbug in my bed. I am utterly baffled as to how Best Western does not have a policy or its management lacks a few ideas of their own as to how to ameliorate a bedbug situation that would keep their customer happy.

BTW, when I spoke with Peter that following evening, he said that the bedbug room had been inspected, and no further evidence of bedbugs had been found and that the room had not yet been fumigated. Not being in hotel management, I don’t know what the standard practice is for finding a bedbug in a hotel room, but I would have thought they would have immediately fumigated the room. Perhaps they waited two days after the incident. Perhaps they never bothered at all.

Again, stay at your own risk.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DiscerningNYTraveler
AcademyManager, Hotel Manager at Academy Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2009

Dear DiscerningNYTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor, delighted to see you have recorded that there were positives. As Tripadvisor is public forum you are very entitled to your comments and views. In receiving your report and looking at the claims made, I'm afraid that, in our view, we could not qualify them. Between the information reported at the time and the dried up bug that was subsequently presented, it was a long long time since he'd seen his last victim. Had we found your claim to have had a remote chance of having any foundation then certainly you may have received what you were looking for - a free night. It was without prejudice that you received complementary breakfast valued at 81.00 Euro and additionally your laundry done at our cost out of good will.

I can assure you that protocol has been followed in our investigation of your claims and that no further evidence has been found at the time or since of any bed bugs be that fossils or the real thing. The problem of bed bugs is world wide, none of us are immune in our homes or hotels and as such our staff are regularly prepared, trained & vigilant in identifying any issues even in advance of an out break and are educated in how to inspect any room where there may have been sightings. There was no evidence of any activity in your room what so ever including blood spots on the bedding, this was not found to exist. The only thing evident was the dried out fossil that was presented and who knows how he arrived or what species it even was.

Thank you once again for your review and feedback. I'm afraid that from time to time hoteliers can not always operate in fear of travel review sites and we have to stand over our products, facilities and services and channel our efforts into looking after our guests who are at all times our foremost concern. Yes from time to time we have issues, what business doesn't? When there is a genuine concern/problem or issue it will always receive the full attention it deserves and be rectified by what ever means available.

We have had 240 reviews on this site to date, almost 90% of which are very good or excellent and are currently in the Top 10 in our city and I know that other readers will be using this as their guide and not a single negative review.

DiscerningNYTraveler if you would like to address this further please feel free to contact us off this forum, details can be found on our website (we are forbidden from posting here) or indeed by using the customer service options available to you from your travel agent or indeed through Best Western International.

Hotel Management.

Reviewed 18 June 2009

Booked hotel at last minute to obtain a reasonably priced room in Dublin to rest up before travelling onwards.
The room was reasonably priced 80EURO excluding breakfast, however the room was very small. (But comfortable & clean) _WARNING SEE BELOW.
One side of the hotel backs onto a late night bar, with drinkers spilling out into the courtyard, so the room was very noisy until late into the evening/early morning (1-2am) - so make sure if you are not out partying yourselves, then request a room away from this side of the hotel!!
Of course we were advised in the morning that we could have requested to be moved to another room (difficult to move at that time of night........) however if there were other rooms available, then there was no reason for us to be there in the first place! I think this would be a common experience.
Also no parking. So if you take a car - be prepared to pay 12EUROS per day for parking.

2  Thank janeno1
Reviewed 18 June 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights.Hotel very modern,nice decor, rooms very clean, with everything matching.Free internet access in lobby and free wireless wifi in bedrooms.Bus stop for airport just outside.Very central,just of main o connell st.Buffet breakfast excllent with a wide variety.
However my room was small.I had booked a double for individual use.It was ok for one but would be too small for a couple.no view ,just looking into a courtyard.No mini bar in room.Tried chinese restuarent, not impressed,food poor and portions small .not good value for the price.my local take away far better value at half the price.The other restuarent in hotel serving plainer food much better.
Would stay here again due to location and room price.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo