“Worst hotel of our trip”
Review of Maple Hotel

Maple Hotel
Ranked #134 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
San Francisco
“Worst hotel of our trip”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I had reserved a pricier hotel not far from the Maple and then cancled at the last minute to save money because some of our relatives told us about this place (they also stayed on the same trip, and we all disliked it very much). Boy, did I regret this decision. This hotel was simply put, depressing and drab, and way more appropriate for 20-something backpackers who only care about a place to crash than for our family of 3 visiting Ireland for the first time. We had a basement room that was dark, dank, and in sore need of updating (I heard from family that the upstairs rooms were a bit nicer). There weren't even reading lights so when one person was ready to sleep, all the lights had to go out (only overhead fluorescent lighting--not cozy at all). The shower floor filled up immediately with filthy water and was pretty nasty. We smelled cigarette smoke all night and heard some shady-sounding goings on in the hallway next to our room for a couple of hours one night--my husband even called the front desk to complain. The hotel is run by an entirely Eastern European staff, and I must say the women who worked there were nice enough and hard-working, but the breakfast was not appetizing (my 6-year-old daughter liked it though), and we went elsewhere to eat the second day. The only good things about the Maple were its convenient location to the airport bus drop-off (and it was a pretty short walk to O'Connell Street), and the price. It did force us to stay out and explore Dublin, so we saw more of the city than we would have at a nicer hotel. Other than that, we hated every minute of our stay. The website makes it look homey but it is really just a very basic budget hotel. The pub looked OK but I never heard any traditional music there (I popped my head in, and the bartender was friendly). I have never written a negative review on this site, and I'm sure I'll get a response as it seems someone at the hotel is taking the time to respond personally to each complaint. Please put some of that energy into making your hotel a little nicer--get bedside lamps (even the kind that screw into the wall) so your guests can read at night. Real coffee would help, too. We stayed in a variety of hotels, inns, and even a hostel while in Ireland--we stayed in a family-run inn where we had to even share a bathroom, and we didn't mind. So, we're not snobby or overly concerned about luxury. This place just really needs to be spruced up and cared for.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, avoid the basement rooms.
1 Thank SFgal40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I chose to stay at The Maple Hotel because it looked really nice on the internet. Oh what a disappointment! The room I was given was nothing like the one I thought I was going to get. My room was on the ground floor and at the front of the hotel. I did not sleep well at all for the two nights as the traffic kept me awake. On the first morning there was no hot water and, although I called reception numerous times, nothing was done about it. Thankfully, on the second morning there was hot water. The TV was not working very well nor was the remote, but the receptionist did deal with this after I informed her. The only good thing about this hotel is the location but otherwise I cannot think of anything else nice to say!

1 Thank EYE34

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We checked in an hour before time which was great because we were knackered, we were given the basement room which needed to be honest a proper renovation. During the early evening the fire escape was very noisy as staff used it for reasons undetermined but we thought it was while they put out the rubbish or went for a smoke but it was noisy anyways. On a positive note the beds were very comfy and the breakfasts was very tasty. If your looking for a overnight stay then this would be okay but for anything longer i suggest looking elsewhere.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 13 August 2013

To be fair, the location isn't too bad, especially if you're going to the O2 which is only about a 15 minute walk away. But the reception staff are cold and unwelcoming. The rooms are up several flights of stairs - no lift. Our room on the top floor was old, cramped and you can see straight across the street into other people's bedrooms. The décor was...basic bordering on decrepit. It was hostel standard but not hostel prices. Hot water was temperamental. The night porter was a decent sort though.

Room Tip: Not on the top floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We arrived early (1000) and check-in is 1400 but it wasn't a problem to leave luggage, we used this hotel as a base to explore the city centre, good location 10 minute walk to Temple Bar. Friendly staff,very helpful. A budget hotel but very clean, towels changed daily,linen clean and new, hot water not always available, being an old building the floorboards creek and you can tell where the people above you are in their room, we were in room 22 ground floor at the front and the traffic noise was a problem, windows rattled (double or secondary glazing needed).although I wouldn't recommend this hotel (traffic noise) I wouldn't tell anyone not to use it just ask for a room away from the front. A pleasant introduction to the City of Dublin, a city I will return to next year.
slainte.

Room Tip: ask for a room that is away from the front of the building (traffic noise)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Nice central location, but did feel a bit unsafe walking back later at night, friendly staff. Particularly the guy in the bar. Most of the staff spoke good English. The reception area was very nice

But I have to say.....

Our room ( number 38) was awful..... It was in the back building in the garden past the conservatory. The room smelt of drains and tha bathroom was old, mouldy, dated and filthy! Needed ripping out and re doing. The windows have bars on them, which in my opinion is scarey in itself and why do you need bars? And also from a fire point of view against health and safety surely? On the plus side we had nice comfy beds and clean towels everyday..... The breakfast was ok, But they didn't really cater for the vegetarian. The cooked vegetarian option was the Irish breakfast without the sausage and bacon. The continental was toast or cereal.

Next time I would pay a bit more and stay in different hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marmitemini23
Saint-Malo, France
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Staff is friendly. Room are basic but in line with what you pay.
Breakfast is good.
Really close to the station and city center, it is a quite good hotel if you are not looking for a lot of confort. Being the hotel close to the main road, it can be noisy due to the traffic.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo