“Disappointment at Wynns”

Ranked #37 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Disappointment at Wynns”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I have been going to Wynns for many years and I felt I had to write this reviews, as it has become so disappointing these days that I don't even like to go in for a coffee.

Over two or three visits, I had lunch and other times coffee. There is no effort at the Carvery whatsoever and the food has gone right down in standard .Christmas week before last, I got processed turkey for Roast Turkey, which I brought home for the cat. The vegetlotables are usually a mish mesh of lots of stuff, including stir fried veggies, as if all the leftovers were slung in to use them up ... yuckkkk ... then they appear to be covered in butter, or oil ... not good.

I waited almost half an hour one day for a white coffee ... when there was hardly anyone in the bar, yet the staff did seem to be busy .. so, is it a question of not enough staff? I don't know.
If you order a dessert at the carvery, with tea or coffee, the waitress doesn't bring it down to your table ... which is not a nice touch, for a hotel of Wynn's reputation.

Overall ... I have been experiencing this for some years now ... as it has always been a good place to rest and refresh. But each time I go in now, I decide no, I shall have to find somewhere else ... and in Dublin, honestly, there are not many as nice as what Wynns used to be.

I can only summarise and say that the standards all round at Wynns are down. As to why, I don't know and perhaps, and indeed, probably, they still do a roaring trade. However, I think its a shame that it has gone down so badly.

1 Thank Lucretia K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed 1 night at Wynn's on October 14th. The room was very small compared to our other rooms around Ireland and faced the Luas which we heard run the entire time. The bed was very uncomfortable, the pillow almost non-existent, and the shower was terrible. The only plus side of the hotel is it is located in the central part of the city.

1 Thank CrtJones
Coleraine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I very recently stayed here with a friend. We have tried out other Dublin hotels in the same price range, and found Wynns to be superior in every respect. The place was in good repair with smart furniture, new wallpaper, good service, a fine breakfast in a lovely dining room, and a bedroom with excellent space for what we had paid. It was decorated in red and gold (my favourite colours, in fact the ones I have at home), and there was a comfortable en suite bathroom with a Jacuzzi in the bath. Downstairs, there is a bar with buzz which the locals were clearly enjoying. It is very well located for all the main sights of Dublin city centre. We recommend it strongly. Staff were very helpful. We'll be back soon.

Room Tip: I asked for a room with a bath, not just a shower.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RMOP
Tromso, Norway
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Very central hotel just off O'Connel street. Somewhat old and tired interior, but quiet being in the busiest part of Dublin and good breakfast. But when having got a room, I discovered that the bed was to short. I went to reception and ask to get a new room with a longer bed. At the reception I was told that all beds were the same. I knew that was wrong having seen pictures of the rooms on internet. After a night with very bad sleep, one of my collegues told me that her room had a longer bed, so we arranged a roomswitch ourselfes. Doesn't staff know the hotelrooms, or didn't they bother to help me?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank GeirStokke
uk
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband & I have just returned from a fabulous 4 night stay at Wynns hotel. Wynns is a traditional small 65 room hotel situated in the heart of Dublin city centre just off O 'Connell street. This is our second stay at Wynns hotel due to its fab location and great customer service. The staff are really helpful , friendly and will endeavour to help you as much as they can. For instance on our arrival day we were way ahead of the 2pm check in due to an early flight and we were expecting an offer to secure our bags only . However we were immediately offered complimentary tea and coffee whilst they checked to see if our room was ready, this resulted in a check in much earlier than planned which was excellent enabling us to freshen up before our first day of sightseeing. our room was fabulous we were on the top floor facing the city centre, rooms have a traditional decor, spacious and we had a jacuzzi bath also. There is free Wifi available in the rooms which is a bonus not just the lobby area as is offered in other hotels. The dining room is a grand room with an Art Deco feel to it, waiter service provides a sense of luxury and we enjoyed the relaxing peaceful vibe, no clashing of plates or scrum tackle to get your breakfast of a morning and the choice is plentiful and the food is lovely. If your room is at the front of the building and your windows are open you will here the noise of central city hustle and bustle which is no different to any other city noise such as London or New York. Our room was the last one on the top floor attached to the Grand Central Bar building, they play music until the early hours which can affect your sleep if the windows are open none of which bothered either of us personally. Transport links are fabulous, tram stop just outside and bus stop is on the corner, here you can get the Dublin hop on & off tour bus which is ideal for access to all the main tourist attractions. Basically if you want a traditional hotel with a great city centre location and friendly service this is the place for you, we certainly will be revisiting.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aadj
Sugar Grove
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Good staff,& breakfast,housekeeping,central city location.BUT-bathroom tiny, & we had a room facing downtown street with TERRIBLE noise level-bells ringing,engines idling,music playing,people shouting in street,cars running,streetcar noise. This went on loudly all night-worst was VERY loud sound of apparently an industrial strength pressure washer cleanind the rails -AT 2 AM !!!

Room Tip: Away from street!!
1 Thank Kenneth L
Coventry,England UK
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at Wynns a couple of weeks ago for the fourth time and really love this place. Have tried a few others in Dublin but this is by far the best. the location is perfect for exploring Dublin. The staff are always polite,friendly and helpful and the rooms very clean and comfortable. I always get a good nights sleep in a quiet room facing the back of the Hotel, and the beds and pillows are really comfortable.
Breakfast is served by waiters in the beautiful Victorian dining room. There is a selection of hot breakfasts all cooked fresh and piping hot.as well as juices, cereals and toast.
well done to Wynns for providing an excellent and consistent good old fashioned level of service.
Have already booked my room for December for a spot of Christmas shopping in Dublin.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo