“Poor, for the price”
Review of Kilronan House

Kilronan House
Ranked #41 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My stay was marred by the front door being locked when I arrived (about 22:30) and having to ring to get someone to let me in
Then having to walk to next door in the pouring rain to get to my room
Room was small, and overly twee in appointments, but the bed was comfortable. Bathroom was minuscule and very hard to e.g. shave due to cramped size
Bathroom smelt a little the first night, but when I returned the second evening, an overpowering reek of asparagus made using it an eye-watering trial
Shower had very feeble water pressure early in the morning, although I have been told this improves during the day when no one else is using it
Location is good but not excellent - although very convenient for the Harcourt LUAS stop
Wifi was abysmal - might as well not been there - and choice of TV channels was very poor
Room was poorly ventilated - very hot and stuffy, even with the radiator off, and the window giving little ventilation

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ohforfs
Kilronan_Manager, Manager at Kilronan House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear ohforts,

I would like to thank you for your review and your valuable feedback about your stay with us.

I would also like to sincerely apologise that your experience was disappointing and not of the standard we pride ourselves on.

It is true that we do keep our front door locked at night, for the sake of security. But each room key does come with a key to the front door, so that each guest is able to enter and leave the guest-house as and when they please. I am sorry that you had to wait to be checked in, and that this caused you such discomfort and distress.

I would also like to apologise that the room and bathroom were not up to standard. Many of our rooms have undergone renovations, and I am glad to note that the cleanliness and furnishings seem to have been satisfactory.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies, and know that if you would like to discuss any other issues that may have arisen, you are more than welcome to contact me at info@kilronanhouse.com to discuss them in more detail.

Thank you once again for your review and your feedback. We do hope that we are able to accommodate you again, and to provide you with a much-improved experience.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here for one night. Upon arrival we were offered a cup of tea with a smile! Which was welcomed as we had battled through Dublin's crazy traffic! After refreshments we were shown our room which was small but just what we needed. The ensuite was quite small but most importantly it was clean. We ventured out for the evening and had a show to see in the Gaeity. At night the hotel is nice and quiet, only hear people going up to their rooms but once they pass your door you dont hear a sound for the rest of the night. In the morning breakfast was served up to 10am with an amazing breakfast menue to choose from and very pleasant staff serving!
Please note that this is an old and quirkey hotel. There are no lifts and no mod cons, so if you are looking for that this is not the hotel for you!
I would have no hesitation booking this hotel again if staying in Dublin nor would I have any hesitation recommending it to friends and family!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma1Kildare

Dear Emma1Kildare,

Thank you very much for your visit and for your wonderful feedback about your stay with us at Kilronan House.

We are delighted to have been able to make your one night such a wonderfully memorable experience. That you enjoyed our staff, breakfast and hospitality so much is truly a wonderful thing to hear.

We do try to make everyone feel at home with us, and we also cherish the character and atmosphere of our period building and it's various adornments. Thank you so much for mentioning this, and we hope it is the experience of each and every guest.

Thank you once again for your wonderful review, and we hope to see you in Dublin again very soon.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Kilronan House is located on a quiet street in Dublin, but it was only a short walk to St. Stephen's Green and Grafton Street with its shopping and restaurants is not much further. So, you can walk fairly easily (10-20 minutes, depending) to a beautiful park, food, tourist buses, shopping and pubs.

When we arrived, they said we were "upgraded" from the room type we'd wanted (a double with one larger bed) and we got a double with two beds. It wasn't what we'd wanted, but it wasn't a bad trade. We made do and cuddled up in one bed, the other quickly became a place to put extra things! We didn't really mind, but I'm not fond of places calling "we overbooked what you wanted" an "upgrade." However, all staff we encountered were polite and helpful.

Umm, the walls are a little thin, as my sleep was disturbed one night by noises in the room next door to us. It wasn't too bad, just under what I'm willing to call down to the front desk about. I mentioned it the next morning and got a courteous offer from the front desk to call down if we had problems again. We also did have a window overlooking the quiet, tree lined street in front of the hotel. This didn't bother us, and we didn't notice any problems with noise from the street. It also was a pretty view!

The room was reasonably clean and well appointed. Perhaps a little worn around the edges, but it definitely had charm. The breakfasts are cooked to order from a small menu of several choices for a first and second course. We enjoyed our breakfast each morning. One night, they even made Irish coffees for myself, my husband and another couple. That was a real treat, and we enjoyed sitting in the common area and discussing our travels with other guests.

All in all, it's a fine place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lori M
Kilronan_Manager, Manager at Kilronan House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Lori M,

Thank you very much for writing such a wonderful review about your stay with us here at Kilronan House.

I would like to apologise for the fact that the Standard Double room you had booked was unavailable. It is of course not something we do intentionally, but when unforeseen circumstances do present themselves, we always ensue that guests have an upgraded option, rather than an inferior quality room to the one they booked.

I am glad that our staff were able to help you with any issues that arose, and that you enjoyed your breakfast as well as our central location. We do always try to make each and every guest feel at home and comfortable, and I am delighted that you found your stay so pleasant and enjoyable.

If you would like to contact me directly about any problems with your stay, please feel free to email me at: info@kilronanhouse.com

Thank you once again for writing such a wonderful review, and for your very valuable feedback about your visit.

We hope to welcome you to Dublin very soon indeed!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed here with my mom after a 10 day trip all over Ireland. This was by far the best place we stayed. We got a discounted rate on the room, otherwise I think it would've been too pricey, but for what we paid it was great. It's kind of on the outskirts of the southern part of the city, but easy walking distance from Trinity College and Grafton Street. When we checked in we got free Irish coffees. The complimentary breakfast was two courses, plus toast, brown bread, and tea or coffee. It was incredible, considering it didn't cost any extra. The room was nice and clean, though the TV didn't work. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Parking - when you get there it will seem like there isn't any room in their lot, but they do that on purpose so other people don't park there. Make sure you go to the front desk and tell them you want to park your car and they'll help you out.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Katie B

Dear Katie B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your experience at Kilronan House.

Our service, location and breakfast are always features that our guests are very happy with, and I am delighted to know that these were of such a high quality in your opinion as well.

Thank you very much indeed for stating that we were the highlight of your trip in terms of accommodation. That is truly a distinction we appreciate, and hope to repeat time and time again!

Thank you once again for your fantastic feedback. We hope you make it back to Dublin soon, and choose to visit us once again!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

As we walked in, Sean made us feel very welcome. Always very polite and helpfull with suggestions for places to eat and visit in Dublin. Our bedroom was spacious and everything very clean. We stayed 5 days and they managed to vary the breakfast every morning.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank MSamuelG
Kilronan_Manager, Manager at Kilronan House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear MSamuelG,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review about your stay with us.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your time with us, and that our friendly service and delicious breakfast helped to make your time as our guests something that you can remember fondly and treasure.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write about your wonderful stay, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This was a great location for a week's stay in Dublin. We were warmly greeted and were appreciative of the full delicious breakfasts each morning. You're only a 10 minute walk from St Stephen's Green where you can pick up the hop on/hop off tour bus. And if you are more adventurous , there's a bus stop right across the streets -getting around a Dublin's city busses was quite easy. You can go online to determine the bus routes.

We hope to come back and stay again and hopefully get to the concert hall which is right around the corner. Thank you to Sean and staff who helped create a memorable vacation-

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Turtles1101

Dear Turtles1101,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review about your stay with us at Kilronan House.

I am delighted to hear that your experience with us was of such a high standard! It is wonderful to know that you found our location to your liking, and that the breakfast was as enjoyable for you as it is for each of our guests.

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback, and your very kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Dublin very soon for another fantastic holiday!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was so excited to visit Kilronan House at first. The photos made the rooms look amazing and I just couldn't wait to get there. Little did I know that the free parking meant putting your car in a narrow corridor next to the building, making it impossible to use it again once you;ve left the keys at the reception. We were going out that night for drinks so we didn't really care. Another great surprise was expecting us, once we got the keys to our room. We had to walk up the stairs to get there draggin our luggage through a very narrow staircase. Someone clearly forgot to mention that there are no lifts...Definately not recommended for mature visitors! Furthermore, the room was tiny, you could hear everything through the walls and our double bed was to singles put together..Disgraceful. We wanted to stay for 2 nights but we packed our bags and left after the first. Not to forget that the breakfast ends at 9:30am! Which is completely ridiculous, if you are planning a night out in Dublin and you pay for a room with breakfast included. We checked out at 11am since that was the latest they allowed, only to find a poor couple trying to sort out a broken mirror on their car, result of the ..free parking provided. I would definitely NOT recommended it to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Reeva M

Dear Martha M,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us at Kilronan House. We value your feedback, and do try to take everything into consideration to improve the service we offer our guests.

I am truly sorry that your visit was not of the standard you expected. Regarding the parking, we always offer to park your car for you, and it is always available for use, should any guest have need of it. This is precisely the reason why we keep all keys safely in reception, so that we are always able to ensure that each and every car is accessible.

As you know, our building is of original Georgian design and construction, so unfortunately we cannot install an elevator without altering the nature of this historic site. We always help guests when taking luggage upstairs, to compensate for this inconvenience.

I am also sorry that you found breakfast service was too early. We would have been happy to allow for a later breakfast, if this issue was pointed out to us as a problem.

i would also like to address the issue you mention regarding the couple who had a damaged car mirror. While your check-out process took less than one minute, we continued dealing with the guests and resolved the problem. It is unfortunate that you were not present when we did resolve the problem, and also fully compensated the guest for the damage.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We value any and all information, as it helps us to improve the quality of the service we provide. I do hope you will stay with us again in future, so that we may make up for any shortcomings on your last visit.

If you would like to contact me directly to discuss these and any other problems you may have had, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at info@kilronanhouse.com.

Kindest regards,