“highly reccommended”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #54 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 3 December 2012

i stayed at the castle hotel with 2 friends and we couldnt have picked a better place to stay.the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help us.the breakfast was epic and very tasty.the room was great with plenty of tea/coffee/shampoo etc and had the most comfortable bed ive ever slept in.the en suite was immaculate and the shower was great.the castle is ideally situated with a 10 minute walk to the temple bar area and away from any noise.on the morning we left the hotel receptionist had booked a taxi for us to the airport with a special rate,gave us all a wakeup call and provided breakfast all before 5.30 am.we would definatley stay here again and so should anyone who wants a first rate service.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 December 2012

I visited the castle hotel for 3 nights on my first trip to Dublin. The location is great right at the top of o connor street, all within a 10-15 minute walk of temple bar and all the shops.
The room was fine and very warm. Also the complimentary wifi helped and prevented me being stung with roaming charges. The staff were also very useful..apart from the night shift receptionist not answering for 10 minutes while we came back from temple bar quite late! (we think he must have been napping)
The downside was the noise, from the traffic and sirens outside (still could hear on 3rd floor with windows closed) and the noise from the floorboards above us, we think their may have been some renovation work being done on the 4th floor as when we went to check it out we could smell paint. it sounded like people were jumping up and down in the room above for one of the days, didnt help when we were trying to sleep off our hangovers from a night down at temple bar.
also- the breakfasts are ok (me being vegetarian doesnt help though), same with the drink prices in the very warmly hotel vault bar which also plays live music which is a touch.
overall great value for money we paid £150 each with flights for the trip for 3 night stay inc breakfast. would stay here again but would request a room on the top floor!

Room Tip: request a room on the top floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed here November 30th for 2 nights. We drove and was told there was a car park on site. Unfortunatly no information was provided as to where this was located so after getting lost driving around the hotel we decided to go in and ask. The lady on reception was very helpful and directed us to the car park. We checked in with no problems, having paid through expedia there was no further information we needed to give and we were given our room keys to room 105. Now at first we thought this would be ideal as it wasnt next door to anyone and the room was huge,however in the evening even the slightest noise could be heard which resulted in us getting minium sleep the first night. Am sure they would have changed our room for us had we asked but we coudnt be fussed to be honest. Breakfast was average, not much and you have to queue ages for toast. The bar in the hotel was ok with some Irish music on in the evening. All in all it wasnt a bad hotel for the money we paid, and a nice walk into the centre about 10 mins to the Dublin Spire. This was my partners second visit to the hotel and my first but we will be back.

Room Tip: Avoid 105 if you can
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2012

This was my second trip to Dublin and second trip to this hotel, location wise I love it as its far out enough to be quiet but close enough for everything else! We arrived at 9am after an early flight from the uk and checked in straight away which was great as we didnt think this wouls be possible, The room was fine we booked a twin room. Yes there are long corridors but if u want a box book a new purpose bult hotel!! Bathroom looked very new with no bath but a huge shower. Which was great for us. Breakfast was fine. I work in a hotel and it was a standard self service buffet, nothing special but it's breakfast I'm not sure what people expect! Unlimited free wi fi which was great and the signal was really good in room 228.

Check out is mid day which is good and they have a luggage room so it was easy enough to drop bags in there for the day

All the staff were helpful and friendly I'm going back in January and will stay there again!,

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Chose Castle hotel mainly for its location and price – since we wanted a place within walking distance to city center and not too overpriced with free wi-fi. It’s on the northern edge of city center, quite easy to find, just a couple of blocks up O’Connell from where the Aircoach dropped us off. Hotel’s in a row of combined townhouses, décor not sumptuous but had character and there were a couple of cozy public sitting areas. Our room’s on the third floor, felt like we zigzagged through several townhouses to reach it through a long corridor. Both room and bathroom quite large, no view however, just looking out the back at other buildings. Bathroom has the largest window so far (6 x 3.5 ft) so was bright and airy. Bed was two narrow singles making up a king, each with a single comforter. Furnishing was simple but comfortable enough, and the shower was strong (4 on a scale to 5). Only thing was insulation wasn’t so good, in the middle of one night was woken up by people talking in the next room. Breakfast in the basement dining room, self serve continental (which we found out later that you could have as early as 7 am, while hot breakfast starts at 8:30) with custom hot dishes. Nothing special but fairly adequate. Overall quite happy with our stay (3 nights). Good location and pretty good value for Dublin (compared to options near Trinity College or Stephen’s Green).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Well I'm tempted to say good value but I just can't bring myself to quite go that far.

The hotel's seen better days as the umpteen layers of paint on the stairs testify to.

The small rooms are accessed by a maze of corridors and levels and have been decked out in sub IKEA furniture but with non of the Swedish style. In fact the rooms were so compact that it was impossible to get into the bathroom if the wardrobe door was left open. Once in there was nowhere to put toiletries and the shower was the smallest I've ever used.

The breakfast was poor to sub-average and the general level of service could be described as unenthusiastic at best.

All in all it's a thumbs down from me I'm afraid.

Oh, yes, and the location isn't great either.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I love this hotel. It has such old world charm, from its antiques and decor and nifty nooks and crannies, to the high quality service standards of its staff. I totally enjoyed my stay - my room was cozy and comfy, the included full breakfast was outstanding and the location is fabulous for people who like to walk without it turning into a hike. Quiet, too, considering it's just off OConnell Street - even with the window open at night. I live in a busy, urban area, and so city noise coming through the window of this hotel did not bother me. The owner gave me a tour and talked about certain renovations, so I look forward to going back and seeing the resulting updates.

Room Tip: Single rooms are truly for single travelers. My single was great for just me with its double bed; c...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends