“Much better than I imagined.”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #57 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel on a reunion for a weekend in early December. Every other hotel we tried to stay at was much dearer than this. I was rather concerned how north of O'Connell street the hotel was but it is a few minutes walk from there. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. There were 5 of us checking into 5 single rooms and the hotel system seemed a bit time consuming. The hotel is full of character and my single room was OK. I had to turn the radiator down as I would never have slept later. We stayed 3 nights, the breakfast was reasonable and the staff friendly.
We went into the bar area later on the Saturday night and there was a singer singing Irish music. I rather like traditional Irish music and the singer was very good. We did not eat at the hotel in the evening.
Dublin is one of my favourite cities and in the future I will stay here again. Dublin is expensive to stay and this hotel offered very good value.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlooking the streets may be noisy at night.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Didsbury_Shark

Reviewed 22 December 2013

My main complaint was that the front desk staff was not really pleasant to deal with. Only one young lady took it upon herself to help when I complained that people off the street could watch me shower not to mention, the bathroom had no heat and it was cold. In general, the staff seems put off by the guests and for my first time visiting Ireland, it was not a nice welcome. Thanks to the one staff member, I was switched to another room away from the street and with heat in the bathroom - the rooms in the back seem to have been updated while the street rooms haven't. I was informed that this was an upgrade and while I appreciated it, it's not enough to get me to recommend the hotel. The cleaning staff was very pleasant and helpful and the hotel in general is clean.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank frequentflier63
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed three nights at the Castle Hotel last week. It failed to 'wow' me, but was generally OK. The room was a good size and the bed was comfortable. Room was comfortable temperature; bathroom was fine, and the internet worked well. Breakfast was not bad, and staff were generally friendly. I did find that noise from the hallway carried into the room more than I would have liked - not sure if the doors are too thin, lack insulation, or what, but this must be something that could be fixed. Overall it was OK and I would stay there again if the price was right.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 December 2013

hi both my son and i we stayed in the castle hotel in early november and when we got back to our
hotel around 830 we notice that our room was cold, so i went to reception to report it and i
was told that they would check it out , we went out to the cinema and returned to find that
nothing was done about the heating so it was late and i asked them for extra plankets
the next morning i again reported our room to reception and again i was told that they
would it out, we left the hotel around 10 o clock and returded at about 9 o clock to find
that the room was still freez'ing , i went to reception and ask to see the manager whom
i was told was on holidays so i talked to the next in charge and she sent up some one to
check out the room , he told me the rads where air locked and he had a same problem
in about 8 other rooms , anyway he couldent fix the central heating so we had to put up
with a small heater that went bonkers in the night , the hotel is a lovly place to stay in
if you are a eskimo , i wont be staying in it again

Room Tip: higher floors are colder and need updat'ing
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Relatively Central, short distance to shopping ara and Temple bar. Hotel is old and a lot of stairs and small corridors. Clean and very good breakfast.
Doors letting in much sound and small bathroom. Shavers contact not working. Converter handed out. Nice and friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trygvenorway
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Had a fantastic overnight stay in The Castle Hotel, couldn't have asked for more. Our family room was massive and we had the sole use of a sitting room beside it so it was like having a suite. We were 2 couples and 5 kids in total and everyone enjoyed their stay.

The hotel is in a great central location, it is a quirky elegant old building that is a maze of nooks, crannies and little sitting rooms. The dining room served a 3 course meal for 20 euro and kids meals for 6 euro which was great value as the food was superb. Waiting and bar staff were lovely and us adults received a free Irish coffee each for dining in the hotel restaurant. the friendly owner came round all the tables for a chat which we felt was a nice personal touch. There was entertainment in the bar that night and a great night was had by all.

The beds were incredibly comfortable, the room was warm, dark and we didn't hear any noise at all from the street so a good nights sleep was had by all.

The only thing that let the hotel down was the breakfast. It was a free for all with too few tables and no organisation. A few young non-english speaking staff were waiting the tables and we ended up waiting about 40 minutes for our cooked breakfast which was cold when it arrived. It was obvious these staff were just passing through and didn't really care about the customers. However, 2 older staff members were very apologetic to us and brought us fresh teas and coffees.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank marymoonbeam
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We have just returned from a stay at The Castle Hotel in Dublin and would definitely return & recommend.

Can only echo what other reviewers have said in terms of location - its very centrally located just off O'Connell Street, and is ideal for the airport bus drop off/ pick up points on O'Connell Street. Temple Bar is only a 10 minute walk away, as is Grafton Street, with Henry Street Shopping about 5 minutes away.

The hotel is a very typical Georgian style "maze" of a hotel, with lots of interconnecting staircases and corridors. The rooms were really big and spotlessly clean. As other reviewers have said, this is not the most modern hotel, but equally it does not set itself up as being so and I personally really liked the charm of the place. This hotel really represents great value for money in a central location.

We ate in the hotel bar on our first night there and were really surprised by the quality and value of the food - we don't usually eat in hotels, preferring to get out & about, but the food was really excellent and as we found out later in our trip, excellent value for Dublin which is an expensive city.

Staff seemed really lovely too. Would definitely recommend & return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple